C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering issues with my C4 1985 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Pat Scully
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issues with my C4 1985 Vette

I am pretty sure I have the correct answer (replace the rack and pinion), but I want some opinions in case that is not it.

So, when I am turning right, everything is a smooth as can be. When I turn left, I hit a knuckle or some form of bump that requires a tiny bit of effort to get past. It makes going left a little jerky. I have had the steering repacked, the tires balanced and steering aligned. I noticed that the steering is also a little loosey goosey (yep, I just typed that).

I am 80% sure it is the rack and pinion that is causing issues. Is there a difference in getting a replacement from CARiD vs any other place on the Intertubes? Should I see if I can source one locally? I live in southern Colorado.

I appreciate the assistance in advance.

Pat

P.S.
I tried searching and always wound up with more than 100 posts from all of the forums...in case you were wondering why I didn't search.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:48 AM
357L98
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the steering wheel remain centered when this happens?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:19 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

When my R&P started giving me problems, around 100,000 miles back in 2003, the symptoms were power steering turning one direction and no power steering turning the other. I bought a remanufactured R&P plus a rebuilt power steering pump and all has been well since. While half the front suspension was off, I replaced other items such as ball joints, bushings, and tie rods.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:45 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I agree with had 2hav mine started to turn only one way, the rebuilder told me the aluminum wears out and thus I needed a sleeve. Been fine since I put it back in. Later models used steel I believe just for that reason. Find a parts place and ask where they rebuild racks they should be able to tell you.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 AM
0steering_experts1
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat Scully
I am pretty sure I have the correct answer (replace the rack and pinion), but I want some opinions in case that is not it.

So, when I am turning right, everything is a smooth as can be. When I turn left, I hit a knuckle or some form of bump that requires a tiny bit of effort to get past. It makes going left a little jerky. I have had the steering repacked, the tires balanced and steering aligned. I noticed that the steering is also a little loosey goosey (yep, I just typed that).

I am 80% sure it is the rack and pinion that is causing issues. Is there a difference in getting a replacement from CARiD vs any other place on the Intertubes? Should I see if I can source one locally? I live in southern Colorado.

I appreciate the assistance in advance.

Pat

P.S.
I tried searching and always wound up with more than 100 posts from all of the forums...in case you were wondering why I didn't search.
The symptoms you are describing are common with the valve bore being bad in your rack. The proper way to repair this is to have the housing bored and sleeved. We can properly repair and rebuild your rack and pinion at our facility.

Thanks,
Junior

Get notified of new replies

To Steering issues with my C4 1985 Vette

Quick Reply: Steering issues with my C4 1985 Vette