C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

were OEM door handle plastics painted from the factory

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:44 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default were OEM door handle plastics painted from the factory

The black ABS plastic door handle insert that contains the map light and the door slider and the unlock switch. Were these black ABS plastic components also painted in a black paint from the factory? Anybody know?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

84-89, I've never seen anything other than black. 90 and up, came in colors, but a different design. I don't think any black ABS parts were painted black - doesn't seem to make any sense - ??? I just installed a set of NOS door lock bezels on my 85, and they were unpainted black. I also have an NOS, tach/speedo bezel - again unpainted, black ABS. I did install a reproduction shift level bezel, and it appears to have been (satin) clear-coated, over the white graphics, but i'm thinking original OE bezels were plain black ABS with silk screened graphics - no clear.

Last edited by Joe C; 04-12-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

my experience has me tending to agree with you. But here's why I asked. on the 86 I have redone, I thought it had been painted black everywhere on the interior and therefore I was not surprised when my isopropyl alcohol cleaning pulled off a black dull finish on the door handle bezel.

But now I am doing my 1987. I had to do the exterior window sweeps before I put it up for sale. And while the door panel was off I thought I would clean it up and give it a bit of a refurbished. Seeing that now I'm an expert at it!But I experienced the same thing when I cleaned the bezel with isopropyl alcohol a very dull coating that is black was removed from the surface of the plastic. revealing a very shiny and OEM looking plastic underneath. It basically looks brand-new.

The odds that both of my cars doorhandle bezels were painted with a black paint at some point is low.It is possible that it is a build up of grime and other junk that is being pulled off however I get the sense that it is a paint.my 86, yes, I knew that had been adulterated on the interior. But on this 87 Z52 it looks stock and id expect it to be untouched.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 04-12-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
my experience has me tending to agree with you. But here's why I asked. on the 86 I have redone, I thought it had been painted black everywhere on the interior and therefore I was not surprised when my isopropyl alcohol cleaning pulled off a black dull finish on the door handle bezel.

But now I am doing my 1987. I had to do the exterior window sweeps before I put it up for sale. And while the door panel was off I thought I would clean it up and give it a bit of a refurbished. Seeing that now I'm an expert at it!But I experienced the same thing when I cleaned the bezel with isopropyl alcohol a very dull coating that is black was removed from the surface of the plastic. revealing a very shiny and OEM looking plastic underneath. It basically looks brand-new.

The odds that both of my cars doorhandle bezels were painted with a black paint at some point is low.It is possible that it is a build up of grime and other junk that is being pulled off however I get the sense that it is a paint.my 86, yes, I knew that had been adulterated on the interior. But on this 87 Z52 it looks stock and id expect it to be untouched.
if you have 84-89 OE door bezels that were painted from the factory would surprise me. what doesn't surprise me is what people do to some parts of a car. i've had red plastic tail lights and side marker lights that have been clear coated. cheap trick that makes parts look like new to the casual observer.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:02 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

On neither of my vettes were they painted
Old 04-12-2017, 05:33 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

well I got the black off. Must've been painted I guess. They sure are shiny now
Old 04-12-2017, 07:05 PM
NTR2DR
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wax and Grease Remover

A good wax and grease remover on ANY 30 year old car will make parts shine in a way they have not in decades, literally.

While I am new on the Corvette scene with my first, a 90K original miles '89 coupe, I have restored many cars and thus parts simply by cleaning ages of skin oils and dust that gets embedded in the grain of the abs.

Remember, like wood and even metal, plastic is porous, so it will trap grime like any other grain surface.

I am in the middle of a '91 Camaro interior swap... a little bit of G&W remover has old panels looking like new again. This is a key step to take even when dying plastic parts. Otherwise no matter how much adhesion promoter you use the dye will not stick.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

thankyou for the tips!

ive always used isopropyl alcahol. id like to try an official wax and grease remover.

can u link or post up which one you have had the best success using on interior parts?

if you have an amazing engine bay cleaning technique, like for really really really dirty ones like this.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 AM
NTR2DR
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Local auto paint store or NAPA Paint Center

thankyou for the tips!

ive always used isopropyl alcahol. id like to try an official wax and grease remover.

can u link or post up which one you have had the best success using on interior parts?

if you have an amazing engine bay cleaning technique, like for really really really dirty ones like this.

http://directbuyautobodysupply.com/A...-Remover-Quart

5 Star MAXX SOLV Wax & Grease Remover

As for cleaning that engine bay...

CAREFULLY scrap as much of that gunk off as you can. I like to use something like a plastic spatula to ensure that I don't get into the pain or anything else important that may be obscured.

Purple Power diluted with a little brushing will take the rest right off. Soak it down and if you have a power washer (you can rent one at Home Depot for cheap) Purple Power will knock it out with no problem.

If you want to touch up the paint of the engine bay, use the same 5 Star to give a quick wipe down and allow to sit a couple of hours to assure that the solvent dissipates out of any nooks and crannies.

I use Purple Power to pre-clean engines when tearing them down, it will even take old paint off if undiluted.

I use it as a final prep for engine assembly and make an great parts washer alternative.

USE GLOVES and be sure to be in a ventilated area.

Purple Power can be bought at most any parts store or even Wal-Mart.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

well I got the black off. Must've been painted I guess. They sure are shiny now
those parts weren't shiny when new
Old 04-13-2017, 09:43 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default ah ha.

this is what I have been suspecting. I think the parts were hit with a mat or satin black from the factory.

it is just too coincidental that both of my cars would've had a coating on them.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 04-13-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:13 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
those parts weren't shiny when new
If you rubbed/polished them, they can get a lot shinier. Kinda like polishing metal.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:26 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
If you rubbed/polished them, they can get a lot shinier. Kinda like polishing metal.
it definitely wasn't just polishing Greg. There's no question that I removed a coating on the bezel that was put there. from an 86 first and now from a 87.

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
The rear of my handle inserts is shiny. The front is matt finish. So they are painted. Thanks for the tip to not ever touch them with any solvents.

it definitely wasn't just polishing Greg. There's no question that I removed a coating on the bezel that was put there.

I second the Purple Power suggestion for cleaning grease and grime. The hassle with heavy cleaning like you have is that the gunk ends up somewhere after it is off the engine. If you just let it sit on the ground or pavement, it gets tracked into the house or your other cars. I have a 4-post lift. I put a blue tarp on the ground under the car and form a "dam" around it by rolling 4X4's into the tarp. I pressure wash away, and most of the gunk ends up in the tarp. I either direct the gunky water off into the dirt adjacent to the lift, or just let it evaporate. Then roll up the tarp for another use. Keeps the grease-***** out of the house and the other cars.

thing is, they look 1 million times better but where they are now. But to return to factory, all a person needs to do is hit it with Landau black. From SEM.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 04-13-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
That's the thing. The cleaners think they need to hit all the black stuff with Amor All. The worst was the dash pads. Reflection was awful after doing this
Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

it definitely wasn't just polishing Greg. There's no question that I removed a coating on the bezel that was put there. from an 86 first and now from a 87.
I understood that and was trying to reconcile if/why you weren't seeing a finish as flat as OEM. Either you or the OP might have rubbed sufficiently ... or polished the parts where they ended up shinier (during removal of the sprayed-on, add-on coating.)

But to return to factory, all a person needs to do is hit it with Landau black. From SEM.
Agreed -- as I did this to many parts on mine. SEM Laudau is a great way to restore black leather, plastic, cloth, and other OEM trim pieces. I also find Duplicolor (gloss and flat) reasonable alternatives -- depending on the part. It's half the price and delivers good results. Flat isn't totally flat. Gloss isn't THAT much glossier than SEM Landau. In fact, for people on a budget, Duplicolor Gloss black vinyl/dye make a good product. Even the label says the ingredients are the same (though who knows in what proportion).

When "painting" (dying) black plastic, you have to take great care in prep. It might be necessary to prep sand...and, if so, to an extremely fine finish. A few years ago, I sanded to 300 (or finer?) grit and could tell a small difference. 1000 grit or finer might be in order depending on how picky you are. I'm talking about SMOOTH plastic with no texture.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:13 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
That's the thing. The cleaners think they need to hit all the black stuff with Amor All. The worst was the dash pads. Reflection was awful after doing this
Silicone and Armor All aren't something I've used in years. Meguires Tire dressing is about the closest I get. Anything else is cleaned and either buffed or sprayed with "dye". Sometimes I use a product like "Restore Black" too. Black shoe polish may even be an option for things like your leather steering wheel. (Just don't use much and be sure to buff it ALL back off).

The only thing Silicone and/or Armor All are good for is CONTAMINATING the surfaces and ruining future adhesion for the proper color restoration products.

Get notified of new replies

To were OEM door handle plastics painted from the factory

Quick Reply: were OEM door handle plastics painted from the factory