C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 wins!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 383vett
Gregg, you definitely need to go out to a local track and let it rip. It's a lot of fun. You can run full out over and over, something you can't do on the street and make improvements to your car that you can see on a time slip.
I certainly understand that part of it. When I was tuning (mostly in 2010-2011), I found a stretch of PAVED road leading to a tract of land for undeveloped housing. It's about mile long and never had traffic. I used to start on the back, dead-end, stab it, record data through three gears, and review the results at home.

I moved since then and actually live around the corner from that road. A few others might have used it for similarly "inappropriate" reasons because it's got road-block signage at the front end. But, it's still wide enough to get through.

Data recorders have time markers/intervals so it's at least possible to compare runs/results against myself. That said, I WOULD consider the next step getting on a track -- with DR's, to see if/how improved traction changes things.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
TO ME, it would be more fun if I could LEVERAGE that first second/two to hit the best (respectable) time a long-tube car could put down. (w/DRs) Without the ability to grab, leap, and "score" on the front-end, some of the fun WOULD be missing.

Maybe my perception is off, but -- in watching drags -- its hard to see you're "getting jiggy with it" until you've built a 10-sec car. How fun are the 14's, 13's, 12's, and 11's?
Nah...you're "missing it".
First, you haven't tried it so you don't know what you're missing. It's like not trying peas, but not liking them.
Second, It's fun, no matter what you're driving! It's a new experience, you're ON A RACE TRACK! My first drag track experience was in my '83 Trans Am w/an LG4 (145hp). It ran a blistering 16.2@...I can't remember...83mph? It was the most fun thing I'd ever done in a car to that point.
Third, you're going to drive whatever combo you've got to it's best time possible...and that by itself is fun. Maximizing launch traction -it feels awesome when you do it right -doesn't really matter if you are on DR's or street tires...the reward is in the practice, improvement and getting the most out of what you've got! I can't tell you how STOKED I was when I pulled a 1.8x 60' time on a set of 245/50-16 Cooper Cobra's in my Trans Am. Also, finding, then hitting the right shift points. There is progression occurring and while that's happening, you go faster and faster....that's fun.
Finally, How fast is 14's, 13's, 12's? FUN! It depends on the car too; I've had way more fun running 13.x's in my '92 then I ever did, running 12's in my C6. And the first time I went into the 14's was in my '83 Trans Am (a different one) with the LU5 (CFI, 305). It had shorty headers, "free mods", electric fan, T5 trans and I went 14.5/95 in that thing. I can't tell you how proud I was of that result from that car! Still am proud of it. It's all fun. Do it.
The following users liked this post:
knikula (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It was a day when all the stars were aligned and things went well. I won the Pro ET bracket of our third Summit ET series race Saturday. The car was deadly consistent with 6 rounds all between 10.41 and 10.44 (lifting). Lights were good; all .025 or better (with a .001 in the fourth round) except for one horrible sleeper light against the orange pumpkin in the video. Fortunately he went red That's where the aligned stars come into play! It was a fun day. If only I can get the C7Z to run as consistent and launch as hard. Hope you all had a wonderful Easter. Here are a few videos...
Congrats Willie !! That's good racing. Keep it up !!

Good month for Vettes on the strip... I won the 6.50 class at the Doomsday No-Prep recently.

Must be early, but how are you doing in the Points ? I assume you have qualified for the Division 7 finals in recent years... any success their ?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
Congrats Willie !! That's good racing. Keep it up !!

Good month for Vettes on the strip... I won the 6.50 class at the Doomsday No-Prep recently.

Must be early, but how are you doing in the Points ? I assume you have qualified for the Division 7 finals in recent years... any success their ?
Hi Beach, good to hear from you. Congrats on the 6.50 class win. You've got that thing moving! So far tied for first in points in Pro. I haven't gone to the finals in a couple years (work, family etc) even though I'm always on the team. I have had some past good outings. Made it to the low rollers jackpot finals a few years ago and lost to a national champion but brought home $1750. Otherwise, having fun racing almost every Wednesday night. Take care. Willie
The following users liked this post:
Beach Bum (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Congrats man! It's great to see a C4 representing.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Beach, good to hear from you. Congrats on the 6.50 class win. You've got that thing moving! So far tied for first in points in Pro. I haven't gone to the finals in a couple years (work, family etc) even though I'm always on the team. I have had some past good outings. Made it to the low rollers jackpot finals a few years ago and lost to a national champion but brought home $1750. Otherwise, having fun racing almost every Wednesday night. Take care. Willie
Very cool.

Take the Pro class win and you're going to have to make the division 7 finals considering you'll be qualified for the roc race !! Double duty !

Old friend won Division 7 Sportsman finals twice in the past 7 or 8 years in a C6 vette. He lost 1st round at the Finals at Pomona first time, but made the final the 2nd time for National Runner-up. Pretty cool. Going out of memory, but I think Division 7 was sending the roc champion, which is how he made the Pomona final. (Not all divisions do that)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:24 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fredk
Rick is that you ?

Sure is

Quick Reply: C4 wins!