C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mice got to dash wiring, IC and gauges off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:42 AM
chasm43
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mice got to dash wiring, IC and gauges off.

My 1984 C4 was stored in a temporary shelter for a coupe of years. The mice had a field day even though I was regularly putting out d-con poison. The IC and instrument displays are totally blank. The heater fan doesn't come on, the power windows won't work. Headlights are OK along with mirrors, seats, and rear hatch latch. All the fuses are good so I was thinking that the common ground wire might have been chewed through. Can anyone tell me the color and gauge of the ground wire that anchors below the passenger fuse panel? I was thinking of tapping it into the ground with a jumper to the frame just to see if that fixes my problem.

Last edited by chasm43; 04-18-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Info missing.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by chasm43
My C4 was stored in a temporary shelter for a coupe of years. The mice had a field day even though I was regularly putting out d-con poison. The IC and instrument displays are totally blank. The heater fan doesn't come on, the power windows won't work. Headlights are OK along with mirrors, seats, and rear hatch latch. All the fuses are good so I was thinking that the common ground wire might have been chewed through. Can anyone tell me the color and gauge of the ground wire that anchors below the passenger fuse panel? I was thinking of tapping it into the ground with a jumper to the frame just to see if that fixes my problem.
Welcome to the Forum. I hate mice too.

Please give us the year as you will need to chase down a electrical diagram to see if your "common ground" theory works.

If not, you will need to consider a new wiring harness at worst or finding the breaks and splicing at best.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Mice suck, I've fought my battles with them in the past. Unfortunately it's doubtful that the only thing they picked on was a ground wire. Most likely chewed through a bunch of wires.

I gave up using d-con when 1 died in my console, stunk for months, now I just go snap-trap happy, take out dozens of them every fall until they are no longer setting off the snap-traps!

Last edited by bac22; 04-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM
chasm43
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Welcome to the Forum. I hate mice too.

Please give us the year as you will need to chase down a electrical diagram to see if your "common ground" theory works.

If not, you will need to consider a new wiring harness at worst or finding the breaks and splicing at best.
My C4 is the 1984 variety.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM
chasm43
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bac22
Mice suck, I've fought my battles with them in the past. Unfortunately it's doubtful that the only thing they picked on was a ground wire. Most likely chewed through a bunch of wires.

I gave up using d-con when 1 died in my console, stunk for months, now I just go snap-trap happy, take out dozens of them every fall until they are no longer setting off the snap-traps!
Yeah, that's the bad part of D-con is they always carry it to their nests inside the car and die there. I was just to lazy to use traps and now I'm paying for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Mice got to dash wiring, IC and gauges off.

Quick Reply: Mice got to dash wiring, IC and gauges off.