C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

bypass oil pressure/fuel pump switch from ecm.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:36 PM
avoyer
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypass oil pressure/fuel pump switch from ecm.

I straightwired fuel pump from battery... ground already existed. mounting an on/off switch. car has no hopes of being restored. but, I swear, it wll not be a parts car. Runs great this way. what do u think? Purest be nice please...
Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

If the fuel pump fuse and the fusible link are good, replace the fuel pump relay and the car should start up without the band-aid. I'm no purist but repairing the issue is more dependable and easier to do than dragging wires. What year model is it? Fill out your profile, we can be more help.

Last edited by Benny42; 04-18-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:59 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My question is why? At least add a fuse if you do that.
The following users liked this post:
avoyer (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Safety ... in the event of an accident or a mechanical malfunction , will you be able to turn the fuel pump off before you get incinerated ? .....
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 PM
avoyer
Cruising

Default bypassing both relays/switches 89

Originally Posted by Benny42
If the fuel pump fuse and the fusible link are good, replace the fuel pump relay and the car should start up without the band-aid. I'm no purist but repairing the issue is more dependable and easier to do than dragging wires. What year model is it? Fill out your profile, we can be more help.
I have replaced the fuel pump relay & checked fusible link w/ volt/mtr. It makes the usual clicking sound. Because this car has been sittin for 10yrs, I suspect many scenarios. Since putting in a new fuel sending unit & complete fuel system overhaul, (tank cleaning included) it started out wonderfully. I think the oil pressure / fuel pump switch is bad & has a bad ground also. I used 12g stranded wire, hid the wire all the way to the back & has made it an everyday driver. I'm thinking about just putting an on/off switch.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 PM
avoyer
Cruising

Default incinerated

Originally Posted by C409
..... Safety ... in the event of an accident or a mechanical malfunction , will you be able to turn the fuel pump off before you get incinerated ? .....
Great point. I keep a fire extinguisher on hand in car at all times.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by avoyer
I straightwired fuel pump from battery... ground already existed. mounting an on/off switch. car has no hopes of being restored. but, I swear, it wll not be a parts car. Runs great this way. what do u think? Purest be nice please...
Hi what year is she?

The following may help, from my 85 shop manual.
Most early C4's should be the same.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

If the relay is clicking, then you have a good staring point there.

Check if you have power feed to the relay (orange). If not then run a new power line to the relay.

Next step is to check connection from relay to fuse and fuse to pump.
If you want to bypass everything after the relay then you could add a new fuse and wire from relay to pump and still keep all safety.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

I used a cole hersee 24059 constant duty solenoid when I bypassed the oem fuel circuit on my carbed 84. . Run your 12v wire from the battery (through a fuse or circuit breaker) to one of the big studs on the 24059. Attach the wire going back to the fuel pump to the other large stud on the 24059. Run a wire from an ignition on source( I used the hei pigtail to splice into) to one of the two smaller studs, either one . Use the remaining stud to run a ground wire to a good ground. I installed a Ford inertia "crash" safety on/off switch used on their fuel pump circuits and wired it into the ignition on the wire from the hei splice. I also installed a toggle switch in the engine compartment on the ground wire on the solenoid as an anti theft device or for shutting off the the fuel pump for other tuning reasons.

Get notified of new replies

To bypass oil pressure/fuel pump switch from ecm.

Quick Reply: bypass oil pressure/fuel pump switch from ecm.