C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

torque converters for TPI street 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

You might want to try Castrol multi vehicle GM approved synthetic not the import multi vehicle. I use it and am happy with it. Castrol tech recommended. Withstands high temps. part#06519

Last edited by A Peter C4; 04-25-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:21 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
You might want to try Castrol multi vehicle GM approved synthetic not the import multi vehicle. I use it and am happy with it. Castrol tech recommended. Withstands high temps.
Yep, this is the stuff I use,

http://www.castrol.com/en_au/austral...ransmax-z.html
Old 04-25-2017, 01:31 AM
wikdwizard
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
My trans isn't a living organism and doesn't get used to anything. I also heard old wives tales of that concerning the engine oil, leaving battery on concrete, fuel pump will burn up if you don't have over a quarter tank, etc. Violated all those rules before.

How do you swap a converter? I would think you have to remove the trans. You'd have to disconnect the lines so blow them out. While it is out, you might as well change the filter which drains the pan and the trans itself.
Clutches and seals with time/miles on them commonly do not react well when introduced to new fluids. From my experience there is no reason to tempt fate if the fluid is in good shape.

All you have to do to swap the converter is get the trans back and down a little; it is a good idea to loosen the lines on the trans and disconnect from the radiator, but they do not have to come off/out. If one is intent upon flushing them, why not do it when they are connected to the cooler and clean that out as well? I also take out the oil pressure fitting on the top rear of the block and remove the radiator hoses to prevent possibly cracking plastic radiator end tanks. Even is one decides to drop the pan you only get about 4qts. out of it, and maybe 2.5 from the converter. A little will come out of the tailshaft housing if it is not plugged, but that fluid (and the fluid that will drain from the dipstick tube orfice) is from the same cavities as the fluid resting in the pan. Trans takes 12 or so after a fresh rebuild. Point being, there is no way to change all of the fluid without complete disassembly, therefore during a normal converter replacement there will be new/old fluid mixing going on.

Last edited by wikdwizard; 04-25-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 AM
wikdwizard
Pro

Originally Posted by blackozvet
its not about keeping it cooler, synthetic fluid has a different molecular structure, it doesnt break down like natural fluids do, it lasts a lot longer or lasts better under extreme use.

If you have to take the trans out to put the converter in , then you will be replacing "all" the fluid .

some people think the difference between $5 a litre (or quart) and $15 a litre trans fluid is just the price !
I agree there is definitely a difference in fluids. I've run the Amsoil in 700R4s in the past and loved it. In this case though, I would leave the fluid as is instead of spending the extra $ and taking a risk, and just add a $50 cooler for proven insurance.

Reference my above post for comments on replacing all of the fluid.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:16 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by wikdwizard
I agree there is definitely a difference in fluids. I've run the Amsoil in 700R4s in the past and loved it. In this case though, I would leave the fluid as is instead of spending the extra $ and taking a risk, and just add a $50 cooler for proven insurance.

Reference my above post for comments on replacing all of the fluid.
The Castrol synthetic is compatible with mineral trans fluids-so thats no big deal.

maybe we should take a poll -
A.-pour 10 or so quarts of trans fluid down the dipstick tube with a funnel or
B.-fit a trans cooler to a c4 corvette ?

I know which one I would pick !
Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Both
Old 04-25-2017, 08:11 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wikdwizard
Clutches and seals with time/miles on them commonly do not react well when introduced to new fluids. From my experience there is no reason to tempt fate if the fluid is in good shape.

All you have to do to swap the converter is get the trans back and down a little; it is a good idea to loosen the lines on the trans and disconnect from the radiator, but they do not have to come off/out. If one is intent upon flushing them, why not do it when they are connected to the cooler and clean that out as well? I also take out the oil pressure fitting on the top rear of the block and remove the radiator hoses to prevent possibly cracking plastic radiator end tanks. Even is one decides to drop the pan you only get about 4qts. out of it, and maybe 2.5 from the converter. A little will come out of the tailshaft housing if it is not plugged, but that fluid (and the fluid that will drain from the dipstick tube orfice) is from the same cavities as the fluid resting in the pan. Trans takes 12 or so after a fresh rebuild. Point being, there is no way to change all of the fluid without complete disassembly, therefore during a normal converter replacement there will be new/old fluid mixing going on.
How would flushing trans cooler part of rad. create any pressure that would affect coolant end tanks, trans cooler is a seperate coil in rad. and does not affect engine coolant pressure.

Last edited by A Peter C4; 04-25-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:46 PM
wikdwizard
Pro

Originally Posted by blackozvet
The Castrol synthetic is compatible with mineral trans fluids-so thats no big deal.

maybe we should take a poll -
A.-pour 10 or so quarts of trans fluid down the dipstick tube with a funnel or
B.-fit a trans cooler to a c4 corvette ?

I know which one I would pick !
Yes, technically compatible but not the safest or most frugal route. Part of what I am trying to get at is that you cannot get a large quantity of fluid out of the trans without major disassembly. I don't see the point of mixing fluids at all.

If you are capable of doing a converter swap installing a trans cooler is a breeze. Even for a novice mechanic a cooler install is straightforward.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 PM
wikdwizard
Pro

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
How would flushing trans cooler part of rad. create any pressure that would affect coolant end tanks, trans cooler is a seperate coil in rad. and does not affect engine coolant pressure.
I know, sorry....clear as mud! Removing the radiator hoses is to avoid them pulling on the radiator when you lower the trans/rear of the engine down to get to the bellhousing bolts and other cramped access items such as the cooler line fittings on the trans.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I would go with a Precision Industries Vigilante. They will restall it within 2 years. 5 year warranty. That means if you don't like it, send it back and they will adjust it. Also, if the trans craps out in 2 years, same thing. This comes with their recommendation of what to get for what you say you have. If you change something, they can restall it.

If your trans craps out, there is nothing you can do to flush out everything in the TC without cutting it apart.
If your trans craps out, there is nothing you can do to flush out everything in the TC without cutting it apart? I heard that!
Always change the TC out. I was going to use the old converter but wanted to upgrade with high stall. Almost missed your comment... thanks for the heads up

Quick Reply: torque converters for TPI street 700r4