C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need Advice on possible purchase-89 w/issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need Advice on possible purchase-89 w/issues

Hey forum, I am looking for a C4 for under 4k. When I didn't have the money they were all over the place, now that I do they are non-existent.
I have found one, a 89 coupe that has some issues, the seller is asking $3500, but the issues bother me so I would like to ask if it could be very simple fix's.

Problem one- the motor has a idle surge that is very severe, and will stall the car. It goes from 300-900 for a few minutes then will die. This happens at idle in park, when put in gear it dies almost immediately. Doing searches, MAF, injectors, and vacuum leaks seem to be the most common, seller said he has tried looking at these issues with no luck, but no parts were replaced .

Problem two-Heater core is unplugged. Looks like a fairly easy job that just takes all day to do?

Problem three-brake caliper is loose and rattles, maybe retaining spring missing?

Otherwise, this car is OK, it's a fixer upper, which is what I am looking for, but that surge scares me. Any thoughts on how I should approach this? Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Unless the car was in really good shape I would pass on it. Keep saving your money until you find a better car.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

save 2k more and get a nice one. Even then you may need to fix a thing or 3 like any used car

that stuff can be fixed but then whats next?
These cars even if youre a good wrench arent super cheap to fix, lots of parts cost way more, discontinued etc.

Sounds super neglected. Youll hate that thing in 6 mos;see this a lot on forums...guy buys cheap C4 has some repair abilities, gets deep in the car then sees what it will take to get it right...then dumps it cheap after a couple " I hate this car" threads
Old 04-20-2017, 12:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Run like hell. For $500 I might give it a stab. At $3500, this isn't a fixer upper. It is non running in my book or at least the same classification.
The following users liked this post:
Ahnenerbe (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

That's what I was afraid of. I am running away. That idle surge just seems to have too many pricy parts involved with trying to solve it.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

hello OP, do you have a link to the car? that may help. The three items you have listed are not a big deal at all. They could be diagnosed and fixed over a weekend if you lived close to a part store and had the inclination and time to focus on the car.The first one yes is probably a vac leak. smoke test and brake clean.
The second one yes you need to do a heater core, no big deal.
The third one, who knows, take the wheel off and check. It's not rocket science.

none of these things would stop me from buying a car at that price depending on what the rest of the car was like. Which you have not included any information about.

for example, is the car 100% complete. What is the exterior paint like? Does it need to be repainted? What is the RPO sticker on the car? Is it a Z 51 car? Did it come with a six speed transmission? What colour is the interior? What is the condition of The interior? How many miles are on the car? whats the weatherstripping like?

having three things wrong with the car, that's actually a very short list for a C-4 Corvette.
in my experience buying 3 C4's and hobby/wrenching fixing them, it doesn't matter how much money you spend, unless you get into the over $10,000 mark and there will always be stuff to fix.

if those three things are the only problems with the car and the rest of the car is in great shape and it has a six speed transmission with great leather seats, that's a hell of a deal.

The following users liked this post:
Ahnenerbe (05-09-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Viking, I was very tempted with this car, it has the Z06 wheels, new tires, new dual exhaust, and new battery. The interior is ok, needs some TLC, the weather stripping is shot but easy to replace. The issue that bothers me is that the seller says he has tried to fix the surge with no luck. So I am guessing he tried the basics like searching for vacuum leaks etc but he wasn't specific on what he tried. I know the other stuff is simple to fix and would be easy for me but that surge issue still looms large.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ahnenerbe
Viking, I was very tempted with this car, it has the Z06 wheels, new tires, new dual exhaust, and new battery. The interior is ok, needs some TLC, the weather stripping is shot but easy to replace. The issue that bothers me is that the seller says he has tried to fix the surge with no luck. So I am guessing he tried the basics like searching for vacuum leaks etc but he wasn't specific on what he tried. I know the other stuff is simple to fix and would be easy for me but that surge issue still looms large.
And in trying to fix it, what else did you fawk up?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:43 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aklim
And in trying to fix it, what else did you fawk up?

^^ that is a super legit comment. bubba dies hard with these cars. they try anything and its usually easy to see the "path" of destruction as they leave behind breadcrumbs to follow.

either way, a surge is one of about 10 things with an exponentially decreasing probability as you go down the list.

its not tough to do if u have the time and desire.
just to be 100% clear, I agree with the boys above that if you can save up and buy a nicer car with less problems that is probably the path of least resistance.But I am always quick to point out to people on this forum that maybe do not have The extra funds available that problems like a surge are not hard to fix. The hard part might be diagnosing it. But there is enough experience on this forum that you, if you are slightly handy and have a basic set of tools, and access to an AutoZone nearby, can fix it.So if you have been saving your money for a long time and this is all you can afford now and you really want to get into owning a C-4 Corvette, don't be scared off by a few things.

as long as you go into it eyes wide open, which obviously you are, there's nothing you can't fix unless it is something more major such as head gaskets, even those can be fixed, but if it is something huge like A cracked block or a cracked cylinder head or a worn bottom end, that is a different story. That's not a car I would get involved with if I was on a tight budget.

but by the sounds of what you're describing the car has typical used up Corvette C-4 symptoms. It's got a big vacuum leak somewhere and it is surging. Or, maybe the idle air control is on the fritz. Or maybe the injectors or toast or maybe the MAF as you say is toast. Maybe the MAF needs to be cleaned and a new Bern off relay installed.

I just didn't want you to run away from the car without at least one of us telling you that chances are it's a simple problem, and if you want we could help you diagnose what it is.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
I just didn't want you to run away from the car without at least one of us telling you that chances are it's a simple problem, and if you want we could help you diagnose what it is.[/left]
I'm willing to agree with you that there is a chance of a simple problem but at $3500, the risk is too much that it is a major problem or problems. If I had to guess right now, NFW would I toss more than $1000 into a mystery. Now if we could run diagnostics on it and see before we buy, sure. Will the current owner let you run diagnostics, IDK. For me, any unknown and I assume the worst. Maybe your AC is low on R134A but if it doesn't work, I assume I have to fix everything and price accordingly unless we can be relatively certain it is one small thing. In which case, you fix it, just in case.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

yes there is more info needed on the car for sure.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:26 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Why didn't you reply with (or originally list) the mileage? If you don't know it, weatherstripping ain't cheap and can be a PITA to get to seal right (again). Interiors can run a grand. If it's above 150k (or even 200k) miles, that's another potential liability.

Suspension parts are getting old after 28 years. Most things I've read say 25-30 years tops before rebuilding rubber in suspension. Mine has 80k miles and it finally NEEDED it over the past year/two. And, it's ALWAYS been a garage car.

Not to diss the C4 but -- due to the age -- I'd consider one that's sat outside a potential money pit. 30 yr old cars are getting close to restoration age -- if not carefully maintained and garaged.

$3500 isn't an excuse to buy one. It's more a clue to stay away...especially as the potential problem list gets bigger.

That all said, the surging idle (which is the worst of your concerns) isn't the biggest worry. It's probably an injector, vacuum, or IAC issue (though these aren't the ONLY possibilities). What you SHOULD be worried about are things that could lead to massive costs...like an engine or drivetrain overhaul. Good shops (people) can help to figure out the minor problems.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Why didn't you reply with (or originally list) the mileage? If you don't know it, weatherstripping ain't cheap and can be a PITA to get to seal right (again). Interiors can run a grand. If it's above 150k (or even 200k) miles, that's another potential liability.

Suspension parts are getting old after 28 years. Most things I've read say 25-30 years tops before rebuilding rubber in suspension. Mine has 80k miles and it finally NEEDED it over the past year/two. And, it's ALWAYS been a garage car.

Not to diss the C4 but -- due to the age -- I'd consider one that's sat outside a potential money pit. 30 yr old cars are getting close to restoration age -- if not carefully maintained and garaged.

$3500 isn't an excuse to buy one. It's more a clue to stay away...especially as the potential problem list gets bigger.

That all said, the surging idle (which is the worst of your concerns) isn't the biggest worry. It's probably an injector, vacuum, or IAC issue (though these aren't the ONLY possibilities). What you SHOULD be worried about are things that could lead to massive costs...like an engine or drivetrain overhaul. Good shops (people) can help to figure out the minor problems.
You are right on, the car has 120k miles on it. I saw him drive it in and drive away and it flew down the road straight with no smoking so I believe the block/heads are good. But, I think my best bet is to keep looking.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

let us know the next one you find! looking is fun too. pics!!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:10 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

, the weather stripping is shot but easy to replace.e.
Between the complete weatherstripping kit and labor it costs me close to $1K.....from what I've read here and heard from my installer a real pain in the *** job
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

With a rod going out amd a perfect car your screwed but with a great engine/trans your in business. My car had like 12 codes and all the vacume lines were falling apart and it was loping(that is what tpi cars do when idle is going up and down at idle), I fixed it but I am not sure how. I changed the plugs O2 sensor ,TPI Sensor, cleaned maf, cleaned a bunch of connectors and it was gone. Since then I have replaced a lot of things, but I paid 2000 for the car. Talk him down if engine trans are good .I The codes are your friend and you wont need a scanner. Listen to the engine for a quality sound you will need to replace the other stuff anyways its kinda fun once you know how.

Last edited by xrav22; 04-20-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xrav22
The codes are your friend and you wont need a scanner. Listen to the engine for a quality sound you will need to replace the other stuff anyways its kinda fun once you know how.
Wanna bet? This isn't a carb car with 2 items to go wrong and you can afford to throw 3 parts at it. Without a scanner, there is more guesswork. More time and money wasted.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice on possible purchase-89 w/issues

Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

It would be taking a chance I will agree. I never had a scanner, but haven't had a check engine light in over 15000 miles (2yrs)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xrav22
It would be taking a chance I will agree. I never had a scanner, but haven't had a check engine light in over 15000 miles (2yrs)
I haven't had a CEL for a long time either. Last year my Ignition Module died. No codes. The ECM is pretty primitive so I wouldn't rely on codes. Thing is, it is way easier to read data and try to come to a conclusion rather than "Well, it has no codes. Now what?". Besides, you can use the scanner if it is OBD1 and OBD2 for your other newer stuff.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Thanks for everyone's input. I told the seller I would have to pass due to price and potential cost to fix. The search continues.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on possible purchase-89 w/issues