C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C-beam install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:56 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default C-beam install

When I pulled my engine/tranny I left the c-beam connected to the rear and just slid the driveshaft out of the tranny.
For the install I forgot about the driveshaft end and already have the engine bolted in place. Will I be able to disconnect the driveshaft at the rear end and slide the end into the tranny or will I have to loosen the engine mount bolts to move it around?

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-23-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

You should be able to un bolt it from the rear and finagle it into the trans, then re-install it into the rear yoke.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
You should be able to un bolt it from the rear and finagle it into the trans, then re-install it into the rear yoke.
i have used a rubber mallet and a small piece of 2x4 to move it into position. wood ensures no markings or damage is done. it is a tight fit.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:55 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i have used a rubber mallet and a small piece of 2x4 to move it into position. wood ensures no markings or damage is done. it is a tight fit.
Driveshaft you mean? I'm guessing I'll have to at least loosen the rear c-beam bolts? I just had a helluva time getting the engine & tranny back in by myself so I'd hate to have to undo the engine mounts. I'll mess with the driveshaft/c-beam within the next few days.

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-24-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

No need to disturb what you've already done. Remove the driveshaft and slip it into the extension housing, then secure to the diff. If you can't get the clearance you need, worst case is that you'll need to support the rear of the engine, unbolt the C-beam and move it out of the way enough to get the shaft out and back in. Then bolt the C-beam back in place, torque the bolts, and call it done. No big deal.

Live well,

SJW
Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
No need to disturb what you've already done. Remove the driveshaft and slip it into the extension housing, then secure to the diff. If you can't get the clearance you need, worst case is that you'll need to support the rear of the engine, unbolt the C-beam and move it out of the way enough to get the shaft out and back in. Then bolt the C-beam back in place, torque the bolts, and call it done. No big deal....
Exactly

When I did my transmission, there was no need to unbolt engine/transmission to get the C-beam in. On mine I had to support the rear of the engine to both remove the C-beam and to reinstall it.

Getting it all to line up is not too bad either, but I struggled with it for a while until I found that raising/lowering the back of the engine will change the angle for the C-beam. At one point the C-beam bolts will literally drop through without forcing them. That is a good point to tighten up all the C-beam bolts. Although it is not the FSM method for setting the alignment, it has worked a number of times for me.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:31 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

got the driveshaft in no problem. I'm going to have to order a new strap bolt though. That and my 2 month old harbor freight floor jack quit on me :/
Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

A very good lesson to remind us all never to rely on only the Jack!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
A very good lesson to remind us all never to rely on only the Jack!

Yea well i had a jack stand on one corner and a smaller trolley jack for backup. Luckily I'm within the 90 day window to return it.

Get notified of new replies

To C-beam install

Quick Reply: C-beam install