C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Injector Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:02 AM
HAWAII88
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Problems

Had leaky injectors on my 88. Bought a rebuilt set and later found out that the car hesitates badly when you floor it. Later found out that the injectors I bought are 24# and the factory ones are 22#. Could this be causing the problem? Bought another set of rebuilt 22's and they don't look at all like the originals or the 24# replacements..no locking clips. But I tried installing anyway, as the directions say they will fit. Got fuel leaks all over the place at the top of the injectors, some do not move freely in their mount. Should I put the 24# back or find 22's again. Also, there are codes 32 and 36. Not sure if this is related to this but I thought I should put the proper injectors in first before chasing down the codes.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 AM
Crash594
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

When I did my upgrade to the newer style yellow injectors. I ordered a new set of orings. I put the new on the top. On the bottom I used the old ones and pushed them up high out of the lower grove then installed the new one in the grove. The bottom will seal it on the bottom the second one helps to keep the injector from pushing to deep into the intake. This allows a better seal on the top oring since there is no lock.
The following users liked this post:
HAWAII88 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWAII88
Should I find 22's
Short answer: yes, if the above O-rings don't stop the leaks, unless the engine is modified to need more fuel; i.e. larger injectors.
The following users liked this post:
HAWAII88 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM
HAWAII88
Cruising

Originally Posted by Crash594
When I did my upgrade to the newer style yellow injectors. I ordered a new set of orings. I put the new on the top. On the bottom I used the old ones and pushed them up high out of the lower grove then installed the new one in the grove. The bottom will seal it on the bottom the second one helps to keep the injector from pushing to deep into the intake. This allows a better seal on the top oring since there is no lock.
THanks for the help!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:44 PM
HAWAII88
Cruising

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Short answer: yes, if the above O-rings don't stop the leaks, unless the engine is modified to need more fuel; i.e. larger injectors.
Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I had been running 24lb in my stock 86 without issue. The computer can manage it.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:05 AM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

The flow rate has nothing to do with leaking injectors internal or external. I presume you're talking about Bosch III injectors. Leaking at the fuel rail is damaged or not seated O-rings.

I know everybody recommends putting the injectors in the manifold first which can be done but to me it's really fussy and prone to leakage. So I lube all the o-rings install into the fuel rail (don't push all the way in till they bottom-the o-ring can be damaged) and then install the assembly to the manifold. That's the way I do it with very few problems as I said not recommended by others.

Pressurize before installing everything else to check and you should be good to go. For stock L98 22 or 24 will work just fine.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:37 AM
HAWAII88
Cruising

Originally Posted by Crash594
Thanks so much! Bought a new set of injector seals from NAPA and I could immediately see the seals on the injectors I ordered were a hair too big. Left theoriginal seal from the new injectors as you said and replaced the seal for the fuel rail and the bottom seal. No leaks! Car runs great with the new injectors! YOU ROCK!

Get notified of new replies

To Injector Problems

Quick Reply: Injector Problems