C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Quick Torque Spec Request

Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Default Quick Torque Spec Request

Its taking a bit longer to get my FSM to me than I anticipated... Anyone have the spec for the caliper bolts that fasten to the slide bolts? And do I need thread locker?
TIA,

Last edited by 81c3; 04-26-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 AM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

22-25 ft/lbs. I've always used thread locker, the FSM says they are "self locking" but what they have is thread locker already applied.
The following users liked this post:
81c3 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 05:59 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Tod Stiles
22-25 ft/lbs. I've always used thread locker, the FSM says they are "self locking" but what they have is thread locker already applied.
- the FSM indicates to install NEW bolts. i'm sure the general specifies this for liability issues. (my 2-cents, FWIW) - if original bolts are inspected, and in good condition, cleaning and thread conditioning of existing hardware and the use of a quality (blue) thread locker (along with torque spec) should suffice.

Last edited by Joe C; 04-27-2017 at 06:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
81c3 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Joe C
- the FSM indicates to install NEW bolts. i'm sure the general specifies this for liability issues. (my 2-cents, FWIW) - if original bolts are inspected, and in good condition, cleaning and thread conditioning of existing hardware and the use of a quality (blue) thread locker (along with torque spec) should suffice.
GM does that because they can then justify the $3.00+ per bolt. Could also be that they don't want a mechanic taking the time to take small bolts to a wire wheel and clean the old threadlocker off and apply new.

But I wonder why they don't recommend tossing the guide pins? The female threads will have some threadlocker on them as a result of the bolts simply being screwed into them. There are parts kits that include the bolt, guide pin, and the rubber seal and that probably what is used at a dealership when brake repairs are done. These kits are not unique to Corvette brakes, a wide variety of GM cars use them.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
GM does that because they can then justify the $3.00+ per bolt. Could also be that they don't want a mechanic taking the time to take small bolts to a wire wheel and clean the old threadlocker off and apply new.
could be, but I don't think the general cares how much time the mechanic takes - that is if he's cleaning the bolts or not. things like that are determined by time studies and flat rates, and the general would only care about warranty work. anything beyond that, they could care less, unless someone could drag them into court. the factory thread locker is different than anything we can buy off the shelf. still think it's a liability issue.

But I wonder why they don't recommend tossing the guide pins? The female threads will have some threadlocker on them as a result of the bolts simply being screwed into them. There are parts kits that include the bolt, guide pin, and the rubber seal and that probably what is used at a dealership when brake repairs are done. These kits are not unique to Corvette brakes, a wide variety of GM cars use them.
good points, but then again, it would only apply to warranty work and dealer service work. I think GM is just covering their a$$ specifying NEW. bottom line, it probably doesn't matter what we think -

Last edited by Joe C; 04-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Torque Spec Request

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Torque Spec Request