C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Short in display/turn signals acting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 12:57 AM
vetdrem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short in display/turn signals acting up

I have a 1989 pita Corvette. A little history: it hasent been driven in several years because I blew the head gaskets in it and I, being the hard headed female that I am, decided to do the job of replacing them myself. And I did. I also had to replace the ignition switch lock cylinder. Now Im ready to drive it but theres another problem. Before I blew the head gasket, I had issues with my display not lighting up all the time. Blinkers always worked fine though. If i banged my fist on top of the dash, the display would come on sometimes so obviously theres always been a short somewhere. Now my turn signals are acting weird. With the key in the ON position, both indicators on the display would stay lit up solid. Yesterday evening while it was dark outside I took the display completely out. It has 2 seperate cluster connectors that connects to it. I read somewhere that my symptoms with my turn signals staying lit up inside meant a ground issue. I read to run another wire from the ground wire on one of the connectors and run it to a good ground point. Upon looking at that wire where it goes into the connector, it was obviously loose in there and a piece of the plastic connector was broke off so whoever owned the car before me has been in there before.(pic attached). So, I stuck a wire into the back right next to the ground wire already in there and ran the other end to one of the ground location bolts I read about. I plugged the display back in. When I start the car, I can see the display light up but very dimly.With the headlights OFF, and the turn signal lever in neutral middle position, the turn signal indicators are not lit up on the display like before. I press down on the turn signal lever to turn left and both inside and outside (front and rear) blinks slowly. I pull the turn signal lever up to turn right and the right indicator on the display lights up and remains solid. Nothing blinks outside front or rear. With headlights ON, and turn signal lever in neutral middle position, the right turn signal indicator light on display is lit up solid. I press down on turn signal lever to turn left and the left indicator on the display lights up and stays solid while the right indicator turns off. Nothing outside blinks front or rear. I pull the lever up to turn right and the right indicator on display lites up solid and the left indicator turns off. Nothing blinks outside front or rear. Any ideas?

Old 04-29-2017, 12:35 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Take a look here: http://www.batee.com/

Bryan has a lot of info on his site and does repairs and sells parts.
I had a bad connector between the 2 boards on mine the other year and had him fix it. My symptoms was both turn signal dash lights were on solid, backlighting on the cluster was out but the cluster was actually working - you could see it if you shined a light in from the front.

Had Bryan fix mine and it's worked great ever since.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:16 PM
vetdrem
Instructor

Originally Posted by hcbph
Take a look here: http://www.batee.com/

Bryan has a lot of info on his site and does repairs and sells parts.
I had a bad connector between the 2 boards on mine the other year and had him fix it. My symptoms was both turn signal dash lights were on solid, backlighting on the cluster was out but the cluster was actually working - you could see it if you shined a light in from the front.

Had Bryan fix mine and it's worked great ever since.

Hope that helps.
Ive looked at Bryans site many times. Thats where i learned about running another ground wire from the one on the cluster. Both of my signals are no longer on solid. Now the left one blinks slowly and the right one stays solid. Ive replaced all bulbs, checked all fuses.

Last edited by vetdrem; 04-29-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:23 PM
vetdrem
Instructor

I also read that there is a ground location (G201) behind the instrument panel near the left hand side of the steering column. Supposedly this is where that ground wire I was referring to earlier that comes out of the display connector is connected to. I will be damned if I can find it though. Would be nice if I could find a pic of the actual location.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdrem
I also read that there is a ground location (G201) behind the instrument panel near the left hand side of the steering column. Supposedly this is where that ground wire I was referring to earlier that comes out of the display connector is connected to. I will be damned if I can find it though. Would be nice if I could find a pic of the actual location.
G201 is below where the wiring harness goes to the drivers door under the threshold and carpet. It does sound as though there are bad connections and/or solder points in the IP.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
WOGI (05-03-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Tod Stiles
G201 is below where the wiring harness goes to the drivers door under the threshold and carpet. It does sound as though there are bad connections and/or solder points in the IP.
It's not a bad idea to clean up all the grounds for good measure. There's one on each kick panel for two. Unhook the battery, clean up all the wiring and add a little dialectic grease to the loops before reassembling.
The following users liked this post:
WOGI (05-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Short in display/turn signals acting up

Quick Reply: Short in display/turn signals acting up