C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Low Coolant Light comes on at 140+ degrees

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:38 PM
shanewane
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant Light comes on at 140+ degrees

Ya i know its another low coolant thread and ive read through pretty much all of the old ones. This being said Im still having trouble figuring out what exactly is going on. I had my transmission + radiator + Water Pump replaced over a year ago and ever since then ive had a low coolant light. The people that did all of the work were a corvette specialty and said that the lgiht would come off and on over the next few weeks and id just have to keep topping off the radiator. Well i never lose coolant and been through 3 oil changed since then and no coolant in the oil but the light comes on very consistently at 140+ degrees Fahrenheit and stays on. I dont know if i should try re burping the system or if it's a bad sensor. Any input would be appreciated

Also this is a 1986 Corvette base model with automatic tranny

Last edited by shanewane; 05-11-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:48 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I also have an 86 and had some issues with the low coolant light coming on. The origin of my problem turned out to be the hose that goes from above the water pump to the TPI, it had a crack in it. I found the leak eventually using pressurizing the cooling system and a black light. Fixed the hose but had similar problems with low coolant light coming on even after running it several times and having the recovery bottle filled.

I took an old antifreeze jug, cut the bottom out and taped it onto the top of the radiator neck with duct tape to use as a funnel, engine cold. Started the engine and waited till the thermostat opened, when it did the coolant level dropped. Filled it up to the top with coolant, removed the jug and put the radiator cap on. That took care of it for me.

Worked for me, took care of the problem and has not come back.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:42 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Re burp and you are good.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Ralph88
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem a few years ago with my 88. I would definitely try burping it again, maybe two more times, I let the engine get pretty hot and just kept topping it off (on a hill). That worked for me.

My coolant light went off pretty quickly after that though, it did not take weeks, etc. maybe the sensor is loose too or something..?

If the burping doesn't work and its not the sensor maybe disconnecting the battery and letting the computer reset would help...not sure, I know thats a long shot.

Last edited by Ralph88; 05-13-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:22 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Air in the system...Re-burp it..
Old 05-14-2017, 03:28 PM
shanewane
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input, refilling it after the thermostat opened up and letting it idle seems to of solved the problem. Pretty good experience for a first post on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Coolant Light comes on at 140+ degrees

Quick Reply: Low Coolant Light comes on at 140+ degrees