C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What suspension on my 85?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM
duowing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What suspension on my 85?

I just acquired an 85' Vette. I'm in the process of just getting it to run, but I've been searching and trying to find out what suspension is on the thing. The steering wheel seems to go about 2.25 maybe 2.5 turns lock to lock. There's a fan in front of the condenser/radiator setup and a fan at the back. There's no labeling on the shocks that I can see and I tried to wipe them down. They also look just black. I don't know where I'm looking on the tie rods, control arms, but they also need cleaning if I'm going to find some stamping. The RPO label doesn't have a Z51. I also don't have any FEx codes on it. I know it has the auto transmission and 3.07 rear. I don't see a cooler for the power steering. No ride selector button that I can find on the inside. So where's the next place to look? The car has only 40200 miles on it. I don't know if my Uncle or previous owner had ever changed any of the suspension components.

Last edited by duowing; 05-14-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by duowing
I just acquired an 85' Vette. I'm in the process of just getting it to run, but I've been searching and trying to find out what suspension is on the thing. The steering wheel seems to go about 2.25 maybe 2.5 turns lock to lock. There's a fan in front of the condenser/radiator setup and a fan at the back. There's no labeling on the shocks that I can see and I tried to wipe them down. They also look just black. I don't know where I'm looking on the tie rods, control arms, but they also need cleaning if I'm going to find some stamping. The RPO label doesn't have a Z51. I also don't have any FEx codes on it. I know it has the auto transmission and 3.07 rear. I don't see a cooler for the power steering. No ride selector button that I can find on the inside. So where's the next place to look? The car has only 40200 miles on it. I don't know if my Uncle or previous owner had ever changed any of the suspension components.
Just post a snapshot of the SPID - if the wheels are stock remove them and the wheel information will be cast on the back-side. Lots of information can be done with just that information ......
The following users liked this post:
duowing (05-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 PM
duowing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Just post a snapshot of the SPID - if the wheels are stock remove them and the wheel information will be cast on the back-side. Lots of information can be done with just that information ......
Thanks for that info. I heard about checking out who made the wheels, but I didn't know where that labeling was. Anyway here's the label I found in the compartment behind the driver's seat.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:31 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Pretty base car and you ID'd the only interesting options in your original post. I'd say that if you checked the wheel for castings and they showed to be 8.5 then your uncle or PO never modified a thing!!

Just check your RPO codes and you're all set!!

HAPPY MOTORING!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-14-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:51 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, I have a 85 with Z51. I rebuilt the suspension. Check all your bushings. My rear rubber bushings were in very bad shape or disintegrating. My fronts weren't as bad. I replaced all the bushings with energy suspension poly bushings. New bushings may make your car handle much better. Also your shocks may be worn out, and may need to be replaced. Another thing to check is your ball joints. I replaced my lower front ball joints as they had some play. Also check your wheel hub bearings. My right rear bearings allowed the wheel to flop around.
There are all kinds of things that wear out on an antique sports car.
Good luck.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:06 PM
duowing
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I'm working on getting it running before I can really get into the suspension, but I'm sure there will be some replacement and mods coming.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by duowing
Hi
Have a look at the code on the spring there is a label you can see with hood open, FJY is soft HMP is Z51.
Just google the three digit spring ID

Get notified of new replies

To What suspension on my 85?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What suspension on my 85?