C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cooling Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 PM
blacker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling Fan Question

I own a 1989 Z51 car. It typically runs no hotter than 212 degrees until I am pulling into the garage. When I do the temp will run up to 225 degrees and the secondary fan will turn on. Today it did not. The motor had reached 234 degrees by the time I shut off the car. I let it sit for a few minutes and cranked it to see if the fans would come on. The primary engaged as soon as I cranked the car so I know it's in working order. Should I be concerned and if so what should I check?
Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Concerned, yes, freaking no...

Start by checking all the connection for dirt and corrosion.

I'm not sure on an '89 but later models have two relays. If you have two relays, you need to check the AUX. Also, on later models, the AUX comes on at 238. Not sure why yours comes on earlier, but the engine temp on the dash and the engine temp for the fans are two separate circuits.

Test your system by turning on the AC--- everything should fire up at that point
Old 05-15-2017, 05:07 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If the observed temp is accurate, I would start by looking for dirt and debris in front of the A/C condensor and also between the condensor and radiator. Getting junk in there reduces airflow and is probably the leading cause of higher than normal coolant temps.

You can use a hose and nozzle from the fan side to rinse out any garbage. A shop vacuum will also remove loose dirt. Also check the condition of the lower air dam; it's necessary to force air from under the front of the car so it passes thru the condensor and radiator.

Also, how old are the upper and lower radiator hoses? It's possible that the lower hose is collapsing which reduces coolant flow. Remove the radiator cap (on a cold engine) and look for any signs of corrosion that may be reducing the coolant flow thru the tubes.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling Fan Question

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Question