C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cranking but not firing 1991

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Taylor Allen
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cranking but not firing 1991

hey everyone

new guy with first vette and it's a project car! I posted an intro thread as well.

So the column is kind of trashed and the ignition switch is sloppy so I think the wiring for the key pellet is damaged.

I get cranking/starter running but not firing. From what I've read that isn't a typical failure mode for a VATS problem.

If it is I want to bypass it just to get it running now so figure out what I have. I will rebuild the column after though.

Is chasing the key pellet reader wiring the right way to go?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Taylor Allen
Advanced

Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor Allen
So the column is kind of trashed and the ignition switch is sloppy so I think the wiring for the key pellet is damaged....I will rebuild the column after though.
Welcome to the Foum!

Did the car ever run or did you buy it with the column all messed up? How do you know that the column is your problem or are you guessing?

If it were me, I'd start by rebuilding the column the right way then do the diagnostic on the engine. The column need to be assembled correctly as there are bunches of connection and grounds that effect your start/run procedure.

Do you have your Field Service Manual yet? (FSM)
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Taylor Allen
Advanced

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Welcome to the Foum!

Did the car ever run or did you buy it with the column all messed up? How do you know that the column is your problem or are you guessing?

If it were me, I'd start by rebuilding the column the right way then do the diagnostic on the engine. The column need to be assembled correctly as there are bunches of connection and grounds that effect your start/run procedure.

Do you have your Field Service Manual yet? (FSM)
Thanks! I bought the car non-running like this for $1,800. Probably over paid! lol

I need to order a FSM and the column and the switch are super sloppy. The PO believed that was the problem so I probably need to diagnose it further before going all in.

The keys measured in range #7
Old 05-23-2017, 02:50 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor Allen
Thanks! I bought the car non-running like this for $1,800. Probably over paid! lol

I need to order a FSM and the column and the switch are super sloppy. The PO believed that was the problem so I probably need to diagnose it further before going all in.

The keys measured in range #7
You need to go to the base of the column and check the wiring from the key pellet contacts. You should measure the resistance of the pellet when you do this. Look for two white wires in orange sleeving. Unplug the connector and measure the resistance between the white wires. If the resistance shows open, the wires are probably broken at the ignition key cylinder.

The following users liked this post:
Taylor Allen (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Taylor Allen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You need to go to the base of the column and check the wiring from the key pellet contacts. You should measure the resistance of the pellet when you do this. Look for two white wires in orange sleeving. Unplug the connector and measure the resistance between the white wires. If the resistance shows open, the wires are probably broken at the ignition key cylinder.

very helpful! thanks!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Taylor Allen
Advanced

Got it running! Was actually some hacked up wiring at the distributor

Get notified of new replies

To Cranking but not firing 1991

Quick Reply: Cranking but not firing 1991