C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

chipmonk nest

Old 05-21-2017, 05:05 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Default chipmonk nest

I think the darn cute little thing is starting a nest in my spare tire. When he crosses the street, that's where he/she heads too. Don't want to kill it but darn sure don't want it craping back there and eating wires,. Reckon I will have to drop the spare carrier. Problem is, I still cant get my damn hood open and the battery is now dead so cant drive it somewhere to flush the critter out.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:48 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default MothBalls

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I think the darn cute little thing is starting a nest in my spare tire. When he crosses the street, that's where he/she heads too. Don't want to kill it but darn sure don't want it craping back there and eating wires,. Reckon I will have to drop the spare carrier. Problem is, I still cant get my damn hood open and the battery is now dead so cant drive it somewhere to flush the critter out.
Throw some moth ***** in there !!!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Work on getting that hood open, the longer the car sits the more problems arise.Have you tried hood release tool, the bent rod type?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:15 AM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
Throw some moth ***** in there !!!
Hell...if he won't kill a damn chipmonk...do you really think he'll castrate moths ?

later, tiny
Old 05-22-2017, 09:19 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
Work on getting that hood open, the longer the car sits the more problems arise.Have you tried hood release tool, the bent rod type?
yes
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
Hell...if he won't kill a damn chipmonk...do you really think he'll castrate moths ?

later, tiny
didn't say I wouldn't kill it, said I don't want to...
Old 05-22-2017, 11:22 AM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Youtube has video on hood release tool and manual release cable install, good luck with your new pet.
The following users liked this post:
ghoastrider1 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Ralph88
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a chipmonk eat through my plastic fuel line on a Nissan truck about 10 years ago. What a mess, gas all over my driveway. I did not know it until the truck kept starting and stopping, the more I hit the gas the more that went on my driveway. It only took about 30 seconds and a BIG MESS. ha. So much for plastic fuel lines, although I know they don't corrode like metal does.

May want to try moth ***** in the spare tire area or spray flea and tick (Deep Woods, etc.) in the area until you get it fixed or carefully soak a sponge or something and put it in there....don't think mice and chipmonks like that smell. (who would..lol)
Old 05-22-2017, 12:00 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Moth ***** are urban legends with mice and chipmunks. Also chipmunks don't generally chew on wires, mice are usually the problem in that regard. Lastly chipmunks live under ground, they wouldn't be building a nest in your car, they might be storing food though such as acorns in your spare tire well or even in your exhaust...I had the latter happen to me one fall after parking the car for winter.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Ralph88
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe thats what the chipmonks were doing in my truck, storing food and keeping warm maybe, I kept seeing them hopping onto the top of my tires and running under the truck, etc. I have so many around my house I did not think much of it, except how cute they were..!! LOL Little did I know they would cost me hundreds of dollars.

Don't know what possessed them to chew my gas line, but I saw the bite marks myself, those teeth are sharp for sure. Strange.!
Old 05-22-2017, 02:51 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Default Moth ***** are not very useful! Chipmunks DO chew wires!!

Originally Posted by bac22
Moth ***** are urban legends with mice and chipmunks. Also chipmunks don't generally chew on wires, mice are usually the problem in that regard. Lastly chipmunks live under ground, they wouldn't be building a nest in your car, they might be storing food though such as acorns in your spare tire well or even in your exhaust...I had the latter happen to me one fall after parking the car for winter.
I put moth ***** in my tool box this winter because I saw a mouse in my drawer one day. The very next day I opened the same drawer with the moth ***** and the cute little mouse was sitting right next to it, I think he was laughing his little tail off. The whole garage stinks because of those darn moth *****.

I saw chipmunks going in and out of my Buick below the engine bay. A week or two went by and when I started my V-6 Buick it was running on four cylinders. One of those very same chipmunks had chewed through the wires connecting one of my 3 coil packs. The dealer said that it was a chipmunk as they do in fact chew on things when making a nest. Those teeth marks were huge and they scraped away insulation on a couple of other wires as well. The dealer fixed the damage and then glued a screen in place to keep them out of valley between the cylinders. I would think it would get too hot there but it seemed a great place for the Chipmunk.

I now have moth ***** in both Corvettes inside the car and in the engine bay. Maybe they don't work but they sure make a stink. I won't have any moth problems anyway....

I had a little hole appear near my front steps one day. I took a hose and turned it on and shoved it down the hole. A few minutes later one very pissed off Chipmunk pushed the hose out of the hole and just looking at me like he was ticked off. My son and I laughed our butts off at this soaked little critter giving us the "look of death".

Good luck with your dear little "cute" rodents. If you have a lot of them watch out. I have seen foundations break from Chipmunks tunneling their way around beneath them.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

just returned from Wally world where I purchased moth *****. Placed a packet between rear bumper and spare tire carrier. Thanks guys.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 05-22-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

I have seen snowmobilers use dryer sheets all around engine to deter rodents, while in summer storage.

Get notified of new replies

To chipmonk nest

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chipmonk nest