C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help with timing chain 1985

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:05 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Default Help with timing chain 1985

Hi I am going to do the timing chain project on my 1985 and I bought this double gear chain set.
Amazon Amazon

I have read a double will fit behind my stock cover. Just wanted to know from someone who has done it before.

Now as I am looking at pan gaskets for the 85 I see the one piece and 4 piece available , I have read 1 piece will work,
which one do I use?
https://www.pepboys.com/parts/diy?iC...:diy_text-link
The link was supposed to go three oil pan gasket choices.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by xrav22; 05-22-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:12 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I have a similar chain set on mine, and it fit.

I used the FelPro 1 piece pan gasket, but I was removing the entire pan and timing cover when I did mine. If that is what you are doing, mine works great. No complaints. (Although I think it did have a funny looking hole on the DS (extra for a dip stick?) that I put silicone in.

If you aren't doing that, then you might just want the front seal for the timing cover itself. You can kind of force it in there without removing the pan if you are careful. Put some RTV on the edges and just squeeze and push it in as you stand the cover up.

Good luck!

Last edited by confab; 05-22-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:24 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

I did a cloyes double roller on my 85 and it fit under the stock TC cover. for the pan gasket, fel-pro, one piece, silicone rubber. no issues.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:30 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Thanks for the replies for the record I am going to do the timing first then the oil on a separate day. I am in apt and cant take the car all apart. I am hoping to button up the bottom later and the one piece should work later. I will have it in case I cant get the timing cover on and then need to put it on on the day. Thanks again
Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I just removed the pan and the harmonic balancer from my 87 last week. I'm not sure how much is different, but if you have a full day you could yank the pan and timing chain cover at the same time. It took me less than 45 minutes with an air ratchet to remove my oil pan. I didn't remove any coolant lines, nor did I remove the starter. I just removed the inside starter bolt and loosened the outside starter bolt. This let me swing the starter outward just enough to get to the oil pan bolts behind it and then drop the pan. I also only removed the driver side cross brace, though I would remove the other side next time just for ease of moving stuff around.

Make sure you've got a harmonic balancer puller and installer. You'll need to loosen the power steering line on front of the crank pully so that you can push it up a bit and slide a ratchet extension (and the balancer installer) in from in front of the brace that is between the motor and the radiator. Removing the radiator fan is extremely easy, I wasted more time fighting it for 5 minutes then I did removing the thing.

Go slow on installing everything though. My biggest worry is always that I'll rush a bolt in and strip it out in the block. Take your time. :-)

Also, +1 for the 1 piece pan gasket.
The following users liked this post:
xrav22 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 03:46 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Loosen all the oil pan bolts and unscrew the front ones on both sides nearly out. Push or pull down on the pan to give the timing cover clearance. Use a small amount of silicone in the bottom corners of where the oil pan and the timing cover meet. The Melling is a good product. I`m running the same chain on a 489 BBC with a Bullit roller .709/.709 cam.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I have the double roller on my 84, no issues with fit.

Replace your harmonic balancer while your there, also replace the retaining bolt.

I used the one piece oil pan gasket and a standard timing cover gasket, no leaks and it went very smoothly.

You should be able to rent the tool from the local parts store.

One tip, when installing the new balancer, if it suddenly gets very hard to install, back up the bolt, and tighten.

I heard of some that broke the tool off inside of their crank by forcing it.

I went forward, reverse, forward, etc until it eased on.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with timing chain 1985

Quick Reply: Help with timing chain 1985