C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

missing vacuum hose on EGR solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:57 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default missing vacuum hose on EGR solenoid

I'm replacing the thermostat on my 1988. The EGR solenoid is clipped to one of the bolts.

Broke one of the small hoses as I was removing it.

Went to put it back on, but I can't find a vacuum tube for the bottom barbed inlet, circled in yellow

What I do have is one thin plastic pipe which splits into two. One of those two is the hose that broke, I suppose the other goes to that barbed inlet? but how does it fit? was there a short piece of joiner hose that went over the thin hose and the barb and has fallen off? or what goes on the bottom barbed inlet?

Rob

Old 05-30-2017, 03:44 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingraynut
I'm replacing the thermostat on my 1988. The EGR solenoid is clipped to one of the bolts.

Broke one of the small hoses as I was removing it.

Went to put it back on, but I can't find a vacuum tube for the bottom barbed inlet, circled in yellow

What I do have is one thin plastic pipe which splits into two. One of those two is the hose that broke, I suppose the other goes to that barbed inlet? but how does it fit? was there a short piece of joiner hose that went over the thin hose and the barb and has fallen off? or what goes on the bottom barbed inlet?

Rob

the yellow circled port is a vent to atmosphere - no connection. the broken port vacuum line will split before the egr solenoid - one end to the solenoid, and the other end to the bottom of the throttle body. you need to get the broken plastic tubing out of the rubber connector for repair. most auto parts houses carry the plastic tubing in various sizes. good luck with the repair...
Old 05-30-2017, 03:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Snapshot is deceptive maybe. There should be 3 ports, 2 ports side by side for the vacuum and a "vent/bleed" port that would have had a foam filter and i believe a metal clip that secured it on the original. The foam is nearly always missing. The clip is sometimes present. I thought the vent was on the opposite side of the solenoid.

Electrical and vacuum on the same end and the vent on the opposite?

Your vacuum fitting seems to be not connected correctly.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-30-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:58 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Snapshot is deceptive maybe. There should be 3 ports, 2 ports side by side for the vacuum and a "vent/bleed" port that would have had a foam filter and i believe a metal clip that secured it on the original. The foam is nearly always missing. The clip is sometimes present. I thought the vent was on the opposite side of the solenoid.

Electrical and vacuum on the same end and the vent on the opposite?

Your vacuum fitting seems to be not connected correctly.
good call - now that I look at the pic, it does appear that the ports are side by side, and from the pic, the vacuum lines are not be connected correctly. I agree with the vent coming off the back. i'm thinking, the rubber connector (with the plastic tubing) is indexed and can only be assembled with one-way orientation.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help everyone.
I have the FSM, the info on 6E3-C7 doesn't help me, I've read a lot of threads and found the vacuum diagram, but I can't relate it to what I'm seeing on the engine.

One end of the EGR solenoid has a metal clip - that is most probably where the foam filter would be?

There is a thick line, but I think that has fallen off the throttle body when I removed it, it's a loose fit to a rubber fitting on the underside of the TB-
Name:  Vacuum-5_zpsynhvepse.jpg
Views: 4215
Size:  318.9 KB
am I correct, it connects to the TBody?

I have blown into the barbed input, circled in yellow and air comes out of the left hand hole where the thin pipe broke off, so something MUST connect to it.

All I have is one thin hose that splits into two. One of those two thin pipes broke off from the LH side of the EGR solenoid, so I know where that should go, but I have no idea what the other one should connect to.

Currently all that is connected to the EGR solenoid is one thin pipe leading under the plenum.

I'm really confused. What should fit on the barbed input circled in yellow? Surely it can't be the other thin pipe, that would be connecting it to itself, plus it's way too small to fit.
So I have FOUR questions
1. What fits onto the barbed spike circled in yellow
2. What does the second thin pipe fit to?
3. Does the thick hose with the right angle connector like a mini spark plug, connect to the throttle body?
4. At the other end of the solenoid, where the metal clips are,is that where the foam filter would go?
1988 Auto
Hope someone can tell me what goes where!!

Last edited by Stingraynut; 05-30-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:32 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Here's the solenoid and the hose - you can see where the vacuum lines are intended to be installed on the solenoid. Yours isn't orientated correctly. The snapshot should explain all!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593005495

Read from post #4 to the end!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-30-2017 at 09:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stingraynut (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:23 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Hi again WVZR1, I must seem dumb, thanks for taking the time to help me.
I see the image on that post, as you say, mine is totally different.
Image from post -

Quote from post "The longish vacuum line on the right goes to the EGR valve. The other vacuum connection goes to the bottom of the throttle body. "
I see the poster has a 1990, maybe that's different to my 88?
From the info in that post, I think I've found where the second thin pipe goes - it fits into the bottom of the throttle body. I can see how it would easily have slipped out as I was moving the EGR solenoid.

Lets call the part on the LH side of that photo with two thin pipes attached, the 'Rubber Joiner'

On mine I have one thin pipe coming from the vacuum cannister.
It splits into two and one end goes to the 'rubber joiner'
The second thin pipe goes to the throttle body.

The thick pipe with the spark plug style T piece end goes onto the RH side of the throttle body

Now, that still leaves me with one inlet unattached.

Looking at that image, it suggests the 'rubber joiner' fits onto the bottom black plastic barbed nozzle?
while mine is connected to the metallic barbed nozzle.

I do know that when blowing through the black plastic barbed inlet, air comes out of the the top short thin pipe, (the broken one in my pics)
Perhaps the routing changes when the switch is closed

Is mine wrong?

So I'm a little closer to a solution but whatever the answer, it leaves me with either the black plastic barbed inlet, or the metal barbed inlet, unattached and no spare hoses anywhere for it.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:20 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

There should be a # on the solenoid DR XXX - if yours is original I'd expect maybe DR 138. It would be the same as what Cliff posted as being on his '86. See what yours is.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Yes it's a DR 138
Old 06-11-2017, 03:26 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

I have no pipe anywhere that could fit the black plastic inlet on the EGR solenoid, circled in yellow.

I'm going to post a new thread looking for 1988 owners, hope someone can tell me what should go there

Old 06-11-2017, 04:36 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have no pipe anywhere that could fit the black plastic inlet on the EGR solenoid, circled in yellow.

I'm going to post a new thread looking for 1988 owners, hope someone can tell me what should go there

There wont be a pipe, or vacuum line, because it is suppose to plug into that rubber block that houses the 2 vacuum lines.

remove the rubber block. Put it back on the solenoid so the 2 ports line up with the 2 holes in the rubber block. Problem solved.

Next you have to repair the broken vacuum line that is missing on the left side of the rubber block.

So I am clear. The solenoid only has 2 ports on the front. Both go into that rubber block that has the vacuum lines in it. You are currently on only 1 port. The one circled is suppose to be in that rubber block as well.

At the back of the solenoid, is the breather port. It is suppose to have a foam filter on it. They are all probably rotted out by now on all cars. Improvise I guess if you feel you need it.

If you are having an issue with the rubber block, or as you call it, a "rubber jointer" remove it, and take a picture of the back side so we can see what you are dealing with. It has to have 2 holes in it.

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 06-11-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

YES!!!! THANK YOU Bill McDonald
You are correct, I removed the rubber piece and there were two holes, have now pushed it firmly onto the two inlets on the EGR solenoid.

The car has been running like that for several years, maybe even from when I bought it in 2003.

Is that a known mod? maybe to delete the EGR or for when the EGR is failing?

I blew into the black plastic inlet and air came out of the hole in the rubber joiner where the broken hose goes, so I think that means I have had a vacuum leak all this time.

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
There wont be a pipe, or vacuum line, because it is suppose to plug into that rubber block that houses the 2 vacuum lines.

remove the rubber block. Put it back on the solenoid so the 2 ports line up with the 2 holes in the rubber block. Problem solved.

Next you have to repair the broken vacuum line that is missing on the left side of the rubber block.

So I am clear. The solenoid only has 2 ports on the front. Both go into that rubber block that has the vacuum lines in it. You are currently on only 1 port. The one circled is suppose to be in that rubber block as well.

At the back of the solenoid, is the breather port. It is suppose to have a foam filter on it. They are all probably rotted out by now on all cars. Improvise I guess if you feel you need it.

If you are having an issue with the rubber block, or as you call it, a "rubber jointer" remove it, and take a picture of the back side so we can see what you are dealing with. It has to have 2 holes in it.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:54 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

YES!!!! THANK YOU Bill McDonald
You are correct, I removed the rubber piece and there were two holes, have now pushed it firmly onto the two inlets on the EGR solenoid.

The car has been running like that for several years, maybe even from when I bought it in 2003.

Is that a known mod? maybe to delete the EGR or for when the EGR is failing?

I blew into the black plastic inlet and air came out of the hole in the rubber joiner where the broken hose goes, so I think that means I have had a vacuum leak all this time.
I responded in the other thread. The more I think about it, nope not a mod. Just someone sloppy. Maybe it came apart while it was bolted on there and did not make sense to someone, so they just put it together how ever fit.

Yes on the vacuum leak. See what the idle does when you get it running. AIC reset procedure if it is a problem.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:19 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

It wouldn't be a vacuum leak until the EGR solenoid was energized and tried to connect to that port. That only happens at higher RPM, so the leak probably wouldn't be noticed.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:06 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Default 1988 EGR system issues

You might want to check to be sure that your EGR valve is working at all. I had my solenoid fail and the whole EGR valve was filled with carbon as was the intake manifold. It was a mess so I removed the parts and cleaned out the carbon that was blocking the movement of the EGR tip. I replaced the EGR valve and all the vacuum hoses and then verified operation.

That particular solenoid is no longer available, but there are substitutes available that work in its place. It is a "Normally Open" solenoid so you should be able to blow through it and when activated it will close the vacuum signal.

I would not have known if it was not for the emissions checks we do every two years in Virginia. Under the hood (Bonnet) my EGR bypass pipe burned its cover off, that should have alerted me.
My performance was great, just way off in the emissions department.

Keep that air clean "down under" and keep your EGR working like the General wanted it to!

Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To missing vacuum hose on EGR solenoid

Quick Reply: missing vacuum hose on EGR solenoid