C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Radio has no power

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:11 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by castlefrank
12.4 off, 13.9 when running
Try to figure out why the voltage is so much lower at the fuse, that doesn't make sense unless you have a poor connection somewhere.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:49 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Try to figure out why the voltage is so much lower at the fuse, that doesn't make sense unless you have a poor connection somewhere.
I performed this test myself. My battery was 12.15 and with fuse removed I measured 11.92 on one of the terminals. A voltage drop of 0.23 volts. I used the ground of the lighter in the center console.

I don't know what ground castlefrank used but a good ground is important even though it is an unloaded source with no current drawn. I can't comment on if 11.0 volts is enough to run the radio but even the time does not show.

I will say a 1.6 voltage drop seems much for the measurement made assuming it was done the same as I did. The next move I might make would be to make a voltage measurement of that point with the fuse in and see how much the voltage drop is. If it is much worse it might be something worthwhile to chase. Use a pin or a small wire to get in there, a probe is probably to big.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:10 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up those FSM's from ebay. Should be here tomorrow. Thanks again. Quick question, where does the emergency brake indicator connect? I see the connector on the linkage itself, but the other end is free hanging, thus showing up a lit brake on the dash. It is pinkish tan and appears to have just been pulled out of its home. Does it just go to ground? I tried that but the light didn't go out.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:07 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

I picked up those FSM's from ebay. Should be here tomorrow. Thanks again. Quick question, where does the emergency brake indicator connect? I see the connector on the linkage itself, but the other end is free hanging, thus showing up a lit brake on the dash. It is pinkish tan and appears to have just been pulled out of its home. Does it just go to ground? I tried that but the light didn't go out.
Don’t have an answer at this time.

But when the brake is on the switch closes and completes the low side of the circuit for the bulb. (Top side of bulb gets 12 volts with key on). So with the brake is released the switch is open and the bulb does not light. So with the wires disconnected the bulb should not light. (Maybe you have the wrong wires......)

Do you know how to release the parking brake completely. It's a bit different than most cars and you may not know. You pull the handle up with the button depressed and then lower the handle while still holding the button in till it's all the way down.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 PM
rbw
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 93 convert, a few weeks ago. Radio worked but would not turn off unless manually turned off. I took it to the local Chev dealer (Batavia Ohio)and they worked inside the door panels. Promised to store car inside. When we went back to pick up the car the radio would not work. After fighting with dealership for 9 days I brought the car home worse than when I left it for repair and almost 700 dollars poorer. Long story made short, I went tonight to check the CDM box which is behind passenger seat only to find it sitting in about an inch of water. I know the dealer left the car outside after promising they would not and it rain and the gap around my hardtop leaked and destroyed my CDM box. Check for water.
The following users liked this post:
Nilak (02-11-2022)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

I am sure that I have the right wire. I removed side carpet and trim. I then traced the loose wire directly to the parking brake, where it is attached to the brake terminal. The other end appears as if it was somehow pulled out of a connector.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

@ rbw, I removed my cdm, and there was no water. I have however ordered a new weatherstrip for the hatch
Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

I am sure that I have the right wire. I removed side carpet and trim. I then traced the loose wire directly to the parking brake, where it is attached to the brake terminal. The other end appears as if it was somehow pulled out of a connector.
If the brake switch wires are disconnected and not hooked up, the brake light on the dash should be out.

However there is another possibility. There is a wire and connector on the side of the master cylinder. It signals (closes switch) when the proportional valve is not centered and out of position. Disconnect that wire and see if the light on the dash goes off. If it does, then there is an issue with the master. (It may just need to be re-aligned or the switch is just not working correctly).
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

I will try that, but still doesn't explain where the single parking brake wire goes. Hopefully the fsm will show its hook up point. Really appreciate your support; 2 quick questions, 1 my 93 build date is dec92. Does it have r12? And 2, am I supposed to have a pcv valve? I know its location, but there is just a hose from the throttle body to the passenger side valve cover, no valve
Old 06-24-2017, 09:06 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

The PVC is not where you think it is. It's on the driver's side of the engine. Remove the top plastic cover and look for a "U" shaped hose. Remove the hose and pull out the PVC.

The 93 has R12 in it unless it had been converted and the fittings should tell that.
castlefrank (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:48 AM
castlefrank
Intermediate

The silver "can" by the headlight has 2 fittings on it, a black on the left, and a blue on the right. Is that the conversion?
Old 06-24-2017, 04:06 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

The silver "can" by the headlight has 2 fittings on it, a black on the left, and a blue on the right. Is that the conversion?
An R12 system has screw on fittings for the low pressure port and the high pressure port. On my 94 my low port is right in front of the evaporator. I believe on a 93 they use the ports on the accumulator (silver can) for the low pressure fitting.

With the R134 system both ports use a quick disconnect fitting with no threads at all on the ports.

Also is it was converted, there should be some sticker or such to indicate it has been changed over and what the Freon gas should be.

Last edited by pcolt94; 06-24-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:33 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

Does this extra fitting mean it's been converted? A black cap was on the left, and a blue one on the right.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:26 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

The quick disconnect on the right side looks like it was an adaptor screwed on. It may indicate it has been converted to 134. What does the high pressure fitting look like. Is it a quick disconnect?

Is there any sticker anywhere indicating a change to 134.

Is it possible to ask the previous owner if it was converted.

If the high pressure fitting on the high side line has a quick disconnect, then there would be 2 signs that it might have been converted.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

I have not found any labels to indicate the conversion. As far as the previous owner, she purchased it in 2005 and I do not believe it was done under her ownership, as such is probably ignorant to the fact of r12 vs r134. I will look for the high side fitting but am a little unsure as to its location.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:50 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

If you follow the fat pipe from the accumulator in the picture back to the evaporator, about half way back it will run along with a thinner pipe with a fitting and plastic cap on it. That would be the high pressure fitting.

I don’t know if a regular A/C shop has any method or just plain knowledge to be able to figure it out. (Just a suggestion).
castlefrank (06-30-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:52 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

Get notified of new replies

To Radio has no power

Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

The red cap is on the thinner line. Looks like it too has a quick disconnect.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:23 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

It appears it has been converted. I would think a shop would have put a sticker on the car so it may have been done by a private owner.

I have heard that a pro shop may have a gas verification system but not sure of that at this time.

Is the A/C blowing cold at this time?
Old 07-02-2017, 06:31 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

No its not blowing cold, due in part of the compressor clutch not engaging. Its not frozen but I think since its low on freon, the compressor isn't engaging (I hope). FYI, I disconnected the switch on the master cylinder and the brake light on the dash didn't turn off (made no difference)

Quick Reply: Radio has no power