C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dangling headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:09 PM
cliffg
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dangling headlights

I have my 89 convertible for only two months. The headlights were working perfectly. When I got in the car a couple of days ago and tried them, they both opened half way and then seemed like they were dangling. When they stopped moving the motor was still moving but they just rocked a little. What can you advise? Any help would be appreciated, Cliff.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Sid.123
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it had been an earlier model I would have guessed at a vacuum problem... but as yours are electric I'm at a loss... you say both get halfway and seem to hang but you can still hear the motors running???
either both have bad motors or a bad electrical/control fault.... have you tried with the bonnet up to check for anything jamming them up?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffg
I have my 89 convertible for only two months. The headlights were working perfectly. When I got in the car a couple of days ago and tried them, they both opened half way and then seemed like they were dangling. When they stopped moving the motor was still moving but they just rocked a little. What can you advise? Any help would be appreciated, Cliff.
If there not moving but the Motors are running, It sounds like it's time to rebuild the headlight motors, Not to fear the average Owner can do it themselves with a little help from You Tube and the Forum.

Odds are it's just headlight bushings Real cheap to buy and available

Last edited by s carter; 06-01-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:39 AM
cliffg
Cruising

Originally Posted by Sid.123
If it had been an earlier model I would have guessed at a vacuum problem... but as yours are electric I'm at a loss... you say both get halfway and seem to hang but you can still hear the motors running???
either both have bad motors or a bad electrical/control fault.... have you tried with the bonnet up to check for anything jamming them up?
The motors seem to be fine I think. Yes, I have tried them with the hood up and the same thing happens.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:41 AM
cliffg
Cruising

Originally Posted by s carter
If there not moving but the Motors are running, It sounds like it's time to rebuild the headlight motors, Not to fear the average Owner can do it themselves with a little help from You Tube and the Forum.

Odds are it's just headlight bushings Real cheap to buy and available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfcSGwj0xOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPj1kJm4AnU&t=1487s
They do move and open half way then just seem to be swinging back and forth, seems strange that both went bad the same time. When the lights stop moving, the motor still runs for a little while.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:25 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

99% of the time your symptoms will be caused by bad bushings in the headlight gears. See the videos for the fix.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:07 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad bushings. Three on each side. 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch in length.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 PM
cliffg
Cruising

Default Dangling headlights

Thank you all for your advise. I have since changed the bushings on each side. This took care of my problem. Thank you again.

Get notified of new replies

To dangling headlights

Quick Reply: dangling headlights