C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Stalled Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Teyoloky
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Stalled Today

Hey everyone,

First off, I just want to say hello! If you missed me in the introductions, I just want to introduce myself. My name is Steven, I am a huge car guy who has always been into GM cars. I just recently within the past week got my first Corvette, a super clean 1985 Bright Red C4. I also work at the National Corvette Museum. I was the bugler on the memorial day video we put on Facebook.

Anyway...

Today I ran into my first little issue with my C4. While I was on lunch break, I was running through the drive through and my car was having a rough time idling and it stalled. It started right back up afterwards, and drove back the museum with no problems, other than the engine idling a little low in the 400s. On my way home after closing the car was back to normal and nothing seemed to be wrong.

Could this be a fuel pump issue that is starting to creep up?

My first car was a Pontiac Sunfire and before it died I remember having to keep a foot on the gas and brake at the same time at stoplights because the fuel pump needed to be replaced. I was a poor high schooler, what else would you expect?

Thanks guys
Old 06-09-2017, 01:28 AM
Teyoloky
Cruising

Also, info I forgot to mention, the check engine light did come on when it stalled, but once it started again, it went away. Weird. I am used to having to get the engine light reset for just about anything, but hey, I'm new to owning a classic vette.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Teyoloky
Hey everyone,

First off, I just want to say hello! If you missed me in the introductions, I just want to introduce myself. My name is Steven, I am a huge car guy who has always been into GM cars. I just recently within the past week got my first Corvette, a super clean 1985 Bright Red C4. I also work at the National Corvette Museum. I was the bugler on the memorial day video we put on Facebook.

Anyway...

Today I ran into my first little issue with my C4. While I was on lunch break, I was running through the drive through and my car was having a rough time idling and it stalled. It started right back up afterwards, and drove back the museum with no problems, other than the engine idling a little low in the 400s. On my way home after closing the car was back to normal and nothing seemed to be wrong.

Could this be a fuel pump issue that is starting to creep up?

My first car was a Pontiac Sunfire and before it died I remember having to keep a foot on the gas and brake at the same time at stoplights because the fuel pump needed to be replaced. I was a poor high schooler, what else would you expect?

Thanks guys
Sounds like a possible IAC issue, but before you replace any parts check the basics. Fuel pressure, timing, and check for any codes, and then fix or adjust as necessary.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:43 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... One thing that I do regularly is to unplug and reconnect every electrical connector that I can reach ... this cleans the contact points between the pins and keeps current flowing ... this has solved many mysterious issues with the EFI vehicles that I own or work on ... it doesn't take much resistance to dramatically alter a sensors performance ... also regularly clean and tighten grounds , and on the C4 , any time the battery is out of the car clean and tighten all the contacts at the hot junction block behind it .....
Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Sounds like a possible IAC issue

That's what I'd bet my nickel on as being the likely cause.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Teyoloky
Cruising

That is probably the issue. I will look into it.

hasnt been an issue since, really. Started up great, idled around 500-600, drove great.

just seems to be when it gets hot outside and I'm moving at a low speed while stopping and going (drive through, stoplight). I'll look into it and update you guys!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Stalled Today

Quick Reply: C4 Stalled Today