C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Has anyone done a "VATS BYPASS" on the cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Has anyone done a "VATS BYPASS" on the cheap?

So, I have had a vats issue since day 1 with my 90 and it happen 6x this weekend. I finally took my afternoon and bought a pack of 220 resistors and a pack of 1.5s my key was an 887 so I did 887.5 +/5% she started right up. Now I have an issue with my c68 ac controller. The backlight works but I can't get anything to turn on, I have no outside temp display, nothing. Just a blank orange screen. Does anyone know how these 2 are tied together? I have alway had good ac and used the c68 for my engine temp. Without the controller, I'm dead in Houston summers.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:42 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

VATS is easy to disable in the tune (but I can only say that for certain on the 94/95 PCMs).

I had wonky issues with my C68 as well though the screen always worked. Mine was non responding buttons. There is a good sticky on cleaning the contacts. Mine works flawlessly now. Worth a try for you but I can't help you on saying if it is at all tied to the VATS.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmgtp
VATS is easy to disable in the tune (but I can only say that for certain on the 94/95 PCMs).

I had wonky issues with my C68 as well though the screen always worked. Mine was non responding buttons. There is a good sticky on cleaning the contacts. Mine works flawlessly now. Worth a try for you but I can't help you on saying if it is at all tied to the VATS.
I'll try that tonight for sure. Even if it's not that right now, it will be later. It feels like every time I track down and fix an issue, I create another. Just this passed week, I had issues with my accelerometer. I fixed it, threw a code 32, changed out my egr, egr temp, 15 feet of vacuum lines, solenoids and check valves. I'm getting 22.5 mpg now but I started the vats issue. Bypassedo that, now I have no ac. Thanks for the info buddy.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

http://www.joestradingpost.com/vats/index.html
Old 06-12-2017, 01:03 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

there's more than one way to skin a cat or defeat (or disable) a VATS Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  702.5 KB;

on the theft deterrent relay needs three inputs to allow the starter to engage:

(1) there has to be power to the low amperage side of the Theft Deterrent Relay provided through either the Clutch Pedal Position (safety) Switch or the Transmission Range Switch (park or neutral) 0.5 YEL 269

(2) it needs the CCM to tell Theft Deterrent Relay Control to energize and provide a ground and complete the circuit for the low amperage side of the Theft Deterrent Relay 0.35 YEL/BLK 625

(3)There has to be 12 volts coming in through 5 YEL to the high amperage side of the Theft Deterrent Relay; and,

(4) If the Theft Deterrent Relay has closed there will be 12 volts going out through 5 PPL 6 to the starter solenoid

What I did was to connect 5 YEL 5 directly to 5 PPL 6, completely eliminates VATS regardless of whether the CCM is "happy" or "unhappy".

YES I know this defeats the clutch safety switch but I'm old school and that's the way I prefer my vehicle.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Default C68 Electronic Air Conditioning control system

I have an 88 Coupe and it's Digital Dashboard and C68 were both acting a bit weird for a while. I used to have to tap the bottom of the dash to get the display to light back up. I decided to upgrade the stereo and took out the digital dashboard to get it working brighter/better.
I then spoke to Bryan at BATEE.COM and he helped me get both my dashboard and my C68 all working like new. I know a bit about electronics so I did the work myself. Once I opened up the C68 I realized why it flakes out like it does. There is a ribbon cable that had a warped receiving connector, it is amazing it worked as well as it did. After 29 years of service it was time for the overhaul. The new parts that I bought and installed have made my dashboard and C68 a joy to use. My dash actually is readable in any lighting conditions again.
Normally I would have just paid him to do it all but even just buying the parts I was impressed with the support I received from Bryan.

If your C68 is flaky then call Bryan! He will sell you the parts or do it all for you, your choice. If you are not a great electronics tech then send it to him and you will get your unit back fast!

No, I do not work for or with BATEE.com, I am just one of his many, many satisfied customers!
Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Default This is what I'm looking at

You see the pink wire spliced into the pink with black? Why?
And this hack job? WTF?
the engine and Trans was pulled out and overhauled back in 2013 and about 40k miles ago. My 2nd fan only works if the AC is turned on, with no c68 I'm dead in the water. I'm going to pull it out and clean it off to see if that helps, I'm going to order that kit from BATEE today, if I don't need it today, I will tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:51 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Butt connectors, electrical tape, spliced wires - you're dealing with someone else's wiring hack job. The FSM may help you out immensely for tracing the wiring. And a good digital multi meter.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:10 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Joe Madden
Now I have an issue with my c68 ac controller. The backlight works but I can't get anything to turn on, I have no outside temp display, nothing. Just a blank orange screen. Does anyone know how these 2 are tied together?
How about un-doing your mod and see if the systems return to normal?

The following users liked this post:
confab (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
How about un-doing your mod and see if the systems return to normal?

​​​​
Funny you say that........ I just did exactly that. But the VATS bypass "mod" wasn't the issue. So, a few days ago I had an issue with my courtesy lights staying on while driving. So I pulled the fuse, who would have thunk it hahaha. 20 of you must be saying "dumb@$$ I knew that" I just found out, the fuse has something to do with it. Put the fuse back in, BOOM works. How is that possible?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Butt connectors, electrical tape, spliced wires - you're dealing with someone else's wiring hack job. The FSM may help you out immensely for tracing the wiring. And a good digital multi meter.
I work for a calibration lab and I borrowed one of our fluke multimeters and traced out some of those connectors. The big black wire in that mix goes to a "corvette brand" radar detector that looks 35 years old. Do you know if any come stock?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:55 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

​​​​
Funny you say that........ I just did exactly that. But the VATS bypass "mod" wasn't the issue. So, a few days ago I had an issue with my courtesy lights staying on while driving. So I pulled the fuse, who would have thunk it hahaha. 20 of you must be saying "dumb@$$ I knew that" I just found out, the fuse has something to do with it. Put the fuse back in, BOOM works. How is that possible?
because that flippin fuse also provides power to the HVAC programmer. Oh, and the antenna relay. see page 8a-11-3 of the FSM. Why do I know, I was working on the interior and pulled it. Forgot to replace and about drove myself crazy till I went into the FSM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:01 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Never heard of one.

Now to your fuse event. I have found that disconnecting the battery and letting all the systems rest for a while will sometimes offer unexpected results like your experience. Like a big reboot. Probably a stuck switch or circuit that needed to reset. Always a surprise when C4s and electricity are concerned.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Joe Madden
Instructor

Originally Posted by belairbrian
because that flippin fuse also provides power to the HVAC programmer. Oh, and the antenna relay. see page 8a-11-3 of the FSM. Why do I know, I was working on the interior and pulled it. Forgot to replace and about drove myself crazy till I went into the FSM.
that's hilarious, this car is always throwing me for a loop. I do not have an FSM just yet, it's hard to drop $160 on something I get free on youtube. I have yet to have an issue with my car and not find a solution within 12 hours from life saving CF members or youtube.

thanks a lot guys!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:32 PM
sirmike68
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Security-Sys...YAAOSw14xWOukm

I used this module on my 87 and it worked flawlessly.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:44 AM
kicker84c4
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have had a vats issue since day 1 with my 90 and it happen 6x this weekend. I finally took my afternoon and bought a pack of 220 resistors and a pack of 1.5s my key was an 887 so I did 887.5 +/5% she started right up. Now I have an issue with my c68 ac controller. The backlight works but I can't get anything to turn on, I have no outside temp display, nothing. Just a blank orange screen. Does anyone know how these 2 are tied together? I have alway had good ac and used the c68 for my engine temp. Without the controller, I'm dead in Houston summers.
vats bypass is easy go to mates.net get the hard ware to put a custom chip in the car download tunerprort and turn them off, I can send u a stock bin for 6 speed or automatic with vats disabled.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:39 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by kicker84c4
vats bypass is easy go to mates.net get the hard ware to put a custom chip in the car download tunerprort and turn them off, I can send u a stock bin for 6 speed or automatic with vats disabled.
I think you meant moates.net.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone done a "VATS BYPASS" on the cheap?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a "VATS BYPASS" on the cheap?