C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wheel spacer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Tiptoetherat
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wheel spacer recommendations

Simple question. I have an 84 Id like to upgrade to 17inch wheels from one of the later cars. Used sawblades are CHEAP on the used market these days. I plan to race the car (some of you know this already) so I I need spacers that are decent quality.

Anyone know of a good part that will take some abuse?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I run spacers. If there is one thing I would have to mention it would be to make sure that your spacers/adapters are hub-centric. Not all of them are, nor are they listed as such.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What type of "racing" will you be doing? You may want to check with the sanctioning body to see if adapters are acceptable/legal and if they have any suggestions as to brand and style. Adapters bolt to the hub and include studs that hold the wheels on. Also ask about any requirement for length of the studs. Some organizations will require a certain minimum number of turns of the lug nut to insure safe attachment.

If you are looking to use the 88 and later 17x9.5" wheels, you will need a 18mm (3/4") adapter to get the wheels to sit properly in the wheelwell. A one inch adapter can also work.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Tiptoetherat
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
What type of "racing" will you be doing? You may want to check with the sanctioning body to see if adapters are acceptable/legal and if they have any suggestions as to brand and style. Adapters bolt to the hub and include studs that hold the wheels on. Also ask about any requirement for length of the studs. Some organizations will require a certain minimum number of turns of the lug nut to insure safe attachment.

If you are looking to use the 88 and later 17x9.5" wheels, you will need a 18mm (3/4") adapter to get the wheels to sit properly in the wheelwell. A one inch adapter can also work.

WRL racing so road racing wheel to wheel. I'm already planning on longer studs JUST to be safe no matter what we end up doing.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiptoetherat
Simple question. I have an 84 Id like to upgrade to 17inch wheels from one of the later cars. Used sawblades are CHEAP on the used market these days. I plan to race the car (some of you know this already) so I I need spacers that are decent quality.

Anyone know of a good part that will take some abuse?

Thanks.
Hi
I ran adapters on my 85 for more than 10 years without a problem, the adapters although 3/4 is what you need they come one inch thick.
They bolt on to the car and the wheels on the adapters, no need for longer studs.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi
I ran adapters on my 85 for more than 10 years without a problem, the adapters although 3/4 is what you need they come one inch thick.
They bolt on to the car and the wheels on the adapters, no need for longer studs.
I run adapters as well. You just have to be EXTREMELY sure that your factory wheels studs do not touch the backside of the wheel. Otherwise you are putting the weight solely on the studs and they WILL break. I bought a pretty nice set of adapters for my buddy and he broke off 3 studs driving it the first time. (He won't admit it but I think the studs were hitting his wheels) I run even cheaper adapters on my car. It's an 84' Z51 and so far they are taking the abuse of the stiff suspension with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel spacer recommendations

Quick Reply: Wheel spacer recommendations