C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

argh, 1986 4+3 door chimes NOT working. door ajar idiot light NOT illuminating

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:20 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default argh, 1986 4+3 door chimes NOT working. door ajar idiot light NOT illuminating

blue chime module: functions only with the lights on key on but car off. it ding ding dings here.

its also supposed to ding when the doors are left open with a key in the ignition. this is NOT working

and there is a third one (I read one of Cliffs posts and he laid out three conditions but i can't remember the last one)

door ajar idiot light is not working. i checked the bulb and its good.

other possible contributing factors that i can think of:

i did the 3 white wire bypass on the interior light delay module while im waiting for a replacement to arrive. i want the interior light delay function working.

i just installed 2 'used' door ajar switches. these are the ones at the rear of each door on early c4's. my understanding they serve two purposes: to illuminate the door ajar idiot light and to allow the hatch release switches on each door to work.

the hatch release switches on each door DO work, so i do not think it is the door ajar switches that is not iluminating the door ajar idiot light (after I did the 3 wihite wire bypass on the delay timer module...)

so two problems:

door ajar idiot light not working and the door ajar chime does not work.

ive read almost every thread i can find and i've tried to solve this myself before posting.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 06-21-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

note that i have the ecm out of the car right now. i don't think thats got anything to do with it because the headlight chime works without the ecm installed.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:47 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

=ihatebarkingdogs;1594994540]I assume this is the 86.

The door ajar lights are the switch on the rear of the door. The plastic one. In an 86 they only do the door ajar light. The rear hatch buttons ground through the white dome light wire through the dome light timer.

^^ok, so the door ajar not working is an isolated problem, guessing a cut wire. do u think an aftermarket power keyless entry could affect that circut? this car has one installed by previous owner. ill try to follow the wiring back from the idiot light.

The key in ignition, dome light, and alarm input is the plunger switch on the A-pillar. The driver side has three wires on it, the passenger side two. These get corroded, take it out and clean the contacts.

^^^ ill go do this right now. they are turning on the dome lights (now that the delay timer was fixed). perhaps another wire that goes to the chime is corroded or cut.

The third "chime" is the seat belt reminder. Has to do with the seat belt buckle switch we worked with last week. The seat belt chime will sound if the belt is not buckled and the light is on, which times-out after 5-ish seconds after key = ON. The buckle switch does not influence the light. Only the chime.

^^ right thnx this is the third one i couldnt remember. this is NOT working. does the car have to be running for this or key just in on position. i havnt started the car yet as the guys are still out if it. actually nevermind if the ecm isnt needed to activate this chime then obviously running isnt a requirement. i will follow these two black wires back and see where they go. guessing they will lead back to the chime module.

Engine ECM has nothing to do with any of these chimes or ajar light. In 90-up, the CCM controls these functions.[/QUOTE]

thnx. good to know on this 86 its a bit simpler. (lol maybe?)

ill report back soon. thnx dawgs. VT.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 06-21-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:15 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

QUOTE=ihatebarkingdogs;1594994912]A Remote Keyless Entry system shouldn't affect the AJAR light. At least not the way I'd install it.

There are two wires in the AJAR switch. One is to ground, through the door harness, I believe it ends to the structure behind the kick panel. Not sure. The other is direct to AJAR light. Key has to be ON, of course.

got it fixed! ajar lights are working!

If the "little man" (seat belt warning light) comes on with key = ON, then goes out after a few seconds, the module and the light is working. I believe the chime module operates the little man light. The black wires at the buckle switch are switch closed when belt IS buckled. Open triggers the chime. One black wire is chassis ground, the other goes to the chime module for the belt chime.

not fixed. still no tone for seatbelt. didnt get a chance to follow wires yet.

The wire on the driver's A-pillar pin switch for the key alarm is TAN.
The dome lights is probably WHITE, as you mentioned "3 white wires at timer".
The third wire is either lt blue or yellow. This is the alarm trigger.[/QUOTE]

i did pull them out of a pillar to clean but no change
i wonder if the aftermarket remote keyless entry has messed with this alar AND the key in ignition chime. the key not being used to unlock the door would technically mean that alarm should go off IF the door was locked using the power door lock switches on the door. i will try it. ,<<<<<< yep. thats exactly what happened.

there is still no door chime that goes off when the engine is off, key is in the ignition, and door is opened.

so only 1 of 3 tones are being generated.

thinking maybe the tone generator board may be fried i pulled it out for inspection. no visible issues on the board. any ideas?

unlike the delay timer board which was fried, this looks fine.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 06-23-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:26 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

ok update

either my blue tone generating module is faulty. or. i have a loose connection in the 18 pin plug at the back of the info display cluster.

after moving both units around during the process of testing wires, when i turned they key to "on" the abs light came on briefly, the door ajar light comes on now, and the little man light comes on briefly. the low coolant light also comes on briefly.

i do not know when the seatbelt reminder chime is supposed to chime, but it isnt chiming at all. note i have not started the car. maybe the car needs to be started for it to chime.

furthermore, with the key off but still in the ignition and the driver door open, im not getting a chime.

so, im leaning towards a faulty chime/tone generator even though the "hey dummy your lights are on" headlight warning chime works just fine.

thoughts? Is there any precedent out there for the tone generator to work for one tone but not another?

im thinking of pulling the chime module pcb board out and reflowing it.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 06-23-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:25 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks!

I will do this diagnosis tonight after the kids go to bed. This was exactly what I did with the seatbelt light. I was able to do continuity test to figure out which Black wire was the ground and which one went to the chime module. I then found the yellow wire that went from the chime module to the idiot light display unit.

thank you so much for all the help! It feels good to get a car sorted that was left in shambles.

Get notified of new replies

To argh, 1986 4+3 door chimes NOT working. door ajar idiot light NOT illuminating

Quick Reply: argh, 1986 4+3 door chimes NOT working. door ajar idiot light NOT illuminating