C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

2 early c4 door ajar switch questions

Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
so, it sounds like the center button can move (out) independent of the outer cylinder. did it come out with much effort? my outer sleeve freed up with little effort, but never really tried just the center button.
It takes a fair amount of effort as you don't want it moving once initially set the first time you close the door.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Perhaps your switches are different, but I was able to pull the center pin all the way back out using a small thin screwdriver.

by the looks of your photograph you have a late C4, I do know that the door ajar switch is different in design but similar and principal between the early and late before. I have tried and tried and tried to pull the pin out on mine. And as Joe said I had to err on the side of caution as I do not want to purchase another one.
If anybody reads this thread and knows how to get the centre pin pushed out for an early C4 door ajar switch please let us all know. For now I will be moving on and putting one of those clear rubber 3M buttons on The door jam. this is the type of thing you might put on the wall to prevent a interior door handle from damaging the drywall.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 06-20-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

I searched all over Google and can't find specific directions for the early switches. Some sites that sell them show a picture with the pin all the way in and if they really come that way the pin would have to be pulled out.

Last edited by JimLentz; 06-20-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:35 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

I was thinking to cut a round piece of self stick velcro, the fuzzy side, and replace my 2 layers of black duct tape, as the tape looks bubba. Then I like the clear rubber bumper also, but would have to trim real thin I don't want to break the switch, I only need about.025 or less.

Last edited by A Peter C4; 06-20-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:52 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Peter, that's a pretty good idea. when I get around to the little rubber piece I'll take a picture and posted in this thread so you can see that as well.

I have something else to bounce off you guys. after replacing the door ajar switches, the ones at the back by the hatch opening switches on each door, I discover that these switches themselves do not control the interior courtesy lights. is this correct?

in my car The interior lights come on from the door jam switch in the hinge area.

for some reason I thought the interior lights came on and off from the door ajar switch at the back of the door. I must be wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 early c4 door ajar switch questions