C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Warm weather LT1 performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Warm weather LT1 performance

I know all engines make less power in severe heat with hot air being less dense than cool air. But anyone think their LT1 is moreso impacted?

I took mine for a ride yesterday in some hot and extra muggy weather. Yes the a/c was on and sipping on a little power but the LT1 just didn't feel it's usual self. I have my PCM programmed to shut down the a/c compressor at full throttle and even then there was a noticeable power hit. On the plus side, the tires do seem to hook much better in the heat.

Is it just the norm? Ironically, the engine runs cooler, typically low 180s with the fans running for the a/c. I'd like to datalog it but I've always had trouble doing so. I have no problem reprogramming the pcm with cable/laptop but datalogging never works (tunerpro rt). My guess is that it is pulling a good deal of spark in the heat. Maybe I should try a higher tier fuel on the next fill (currently filled with 93 from Gulf).
Old 06-19-2017, 08:37 AM
sprink94
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale, Fl area and I can tell you the heat and humidity are definitely a factor. I feel a huge performance drop in mine until I am moving at a steady 50~60 MPH for several minutes this time of year.

There is just not enough cool fresh air moving into the intake, plus our cars are right down near the surface of the asphalt where the heat is radiating off of the pavement...not good.

Other than cutting out the front tag mount area to allow more air circulation...there isn't much we can do but live with it.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink94

There is just not enough cool fresh air moving into the intake,

Other than cutting out the front tag mount area to allow more air circulation...there isn't much we can do but live with it.
It's a semi hot air intake on the LT1's.

Get notified of new replies

To Warm weather LT1 performance

Quick Reply: Warm weather LT1 performance