Shorter serpentine belt for a 1988 c4? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shorter serpentine belt for a 1988 c4?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
BDKesling

Default Shorter serpentine belt for a 1988 c4?

Getting my c4 back together and on the road. The motor is rebuilt and we deleted the air pump. When doing the delete, we left the pump in place and took out the guts. Shortly thereafter, the pulley started squealing. I got the TPiS air pump delete kit and installed it. No more whine from the vacuum pump, but now I get a horrible loud squeal when I try to turn on the AC. I think that I need a slightly shorter serpentine belt due to the TPiS delete kit making the belt path a little shorter. Any suggestions for a belt that would be a couple inches shorter?

On the other hand, if I've made some easily remedied silly mistake, could someone clue me in?

Thanks!
Brian

Last edited by BDKesling; 06-18-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo
BDKesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
zapc
CF Senior Member

that is exactly what is happening to me also, I installed delete kit and my belt squeals also, ive been too lazy to get part # for a 1" shorter belt.
zapc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 AM   #3
Joe C
CF Senior Member

I may be out in left field here, but are you sure the squeal coming from the belts slipping? I would think the belt tensioner would take up any variations in pulley diameters (up to a point, and I would think at least 1-2 inches shorter belt) - that should also eliminate any squeal. you guys didn't use any kind of belt dressing on those serpentines, did you? what's the condition of your belt tensioner?

Last edited by Joe C; 06-19-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
cdm747
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I removed my AIR pump and went with the delete kit and have had no problems with the belt squealing.
cdm747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
BDKesling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I may be out in left field here, but are you sure the squeal coming from the belts slipping? I would think the belt tensioner would take up any variations in pulley diameters (up to a point, and I would think at least 1-2 inches shorter belt) - that should also eliminate any squeal. you guys didn't use any kind of belt dressing on those serpentines, did you? what's the spring condition on your belt tensioners?
Well, I suppose it could be something else, but...

Everything worked fine with the AC before the delete kit. I removed the belt, installed the delete kit, and reinstalled the belt, sudden crazy loud squealing from the compressor. It may be that my tensioner is old and just isn't up to the task with a slightly longer belt path. Maybe I should go price a tensioner (car has 261000 miles, AC has been redone but the tensioner looks original).

Thanks,
Brian
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Joe C
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKesling View Post
Well, I suppose it could be something else, but...

Everything worked fine with the AC before the delete kit. I removed the belt, installed the delete kit, and reinstalled the belt, sudden crazy loud squealing from the compressor. It may be that my tensioner is old and just isn't up to the task with a slightly longer belt path. Maybe I should go price a tensioner (car has 261000 miles, AC has been redone but the tensioner looks original).

Thanks,
Brian
how old is your belt? if you need to replace it, I recommend a goodyear gatorback...

the springs on the tensioners rarely cause problems, but bearings do. see if you have any play in the tensioner pulley. personally, I give the belt a good inspection.

Last edited by Joe C; 06-19-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
mt01
CF Member

After guessing incorrectly a couple times, i ended up taking my old belt into the back of the auto parts store and buying half a dozen smaller belts in various sizes - tried them all to find the best fit, and returned the ones I didn't use.
mt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
BDKesling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
how old is your belt? if you need to replace it, I recommend a goodyear gatorback...
New belt with the rebuild, so it's only about a month old. I'll check the tensioner as soon as I get a chance, probably just order a new one and a gator belt. That will ensure that the problem is something else completely.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Shorter serpentine belt for a 1988 c4?
  •