Warm weather LT1 performance - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Warm weather LT1 performance

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
jmgtp
CF Senior Member

Default Warm weather LT1 performance

I know all engines make less power in severe heat with hot air being less dense than cool air. But anyone think their LT1 is moreso impacted?

I took mine for a ride yesterday in some hot and extra muggy weather. Yes the a/c was on and sipping on a little power but the LT1 just didn't feel it's usual self. I have my PCM programmed to shut down the a/c compressor at full throttle and even then there was a noticeable power hit. On the plus side, the tires do seem to hook much better in the heat.

Is it just the norm? Ironically, the engine runs cooler, typically low 180s with the fans running for the a/c. I'd like to datalog it but I've always had trouble doing so. I have no problem reprogramming the pcm with cable/laptop but datalogging never works (tunerpro rt). My guess is that it is pulling a good deal of spark in the heat. Maybe I should try a higher tier fuel on the next fill (currently filled with 93 from Gulf).
jmgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
sprink94
CF Member

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale, Fl area and I can tell you the heat and humidity are definitely a factor. I feel a huge performance drop in mine until I am moving at a steady 50~60 MPH for several minutes this time of year.

There is just not enough cool fresh air moving into the intake, plus our cars are right down near the surface of the asphalt where the heat is radiating off of the pavement...not good.

Other than cutting out the front tag mount area to allow more air circulation...there isn't much we can do but live with it.
sprink94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprink94 View Post

There is just not enough cool fresh air moving into the intake,

Other than cutting out the front tag mount area to allow more air circulation...there isn't much we can do but live with it.
It's a semi hot air intake on the LT1's.
Tom400CFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Warm weather LT1 performance
  •