C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 No Crank

Old 06-22-2017, 02:18 PM
86couper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 No Crank

Hi,
I am trying to chase a no crank problem on 1986. I have started this vehicle before. Power straight to starter and it engages. Dash lights come on.

Vats has been bypassed by previous owner with resistors in place on brown and yellow wires on vats mod. I assume they go/went back to key switch to measure proper resistance. Key I received with vehicle has no chip. New Starter and Alt. Battery approx. 2 years old. Put jumper wire on starter enable relay between each yellow (tried both) and green/white and no crank. Now back to shifter safety switch and tried to put it in D and N and no crank. PO put a kluged anti theft device in cigarette lighter whereby if the lighter is not pushed in it will not start. I am trying to remove this as it is one more thing to go wrong. They put some type of relay in line with the purple wire going to safety switch in which a wire goes up to relay, then goes back into one side of the lighter, and another wire back to other purple. The relay itself wasn't stock was it? Should I be getting power between green/white and purple there when turning key? (two wires going into safety switch). I am not at this point. Should I reconnect the purple wires and the black lighter wires back together and remove the relay thingy? Again I am not sure but I don't think the relay belongs.

With no power here does it have to be the key switch? How can I test that? I have had intermittent problems in the past and I thought it was the starter or alt. This problem started right after I put alternator on and drove it once. Ran like crap (which may be another issue that was brewing beforehand) The battery would drain in two days. Sometimes the switch would pause and then engage starter. Sometimes would not engage after parking it hot and tried to restart and if I jumped it, it would start immediately. I am going to try to post pics. Thank you!

Name:  IMG_2364.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2371.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  41.5 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 No Crank