C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

stoplamp and cruise control switch?? not plugged in??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default stoplamp and cruise control switch?? not plugged in??

1986 4+3

there is a white plastic switch down on my brake pedal that has a vacuum line routed to the cruise control setup.

research shows its a stoplamp and cruise control switch?

there are two blades from an electrical plug that are not plugged into anything on my car and i cannot find any apparent dangling pigtail to go on there.

my brake lights work fine. they come on when i press the brakes.

can u think of any reason my 86 with an aftermarket pke would be missing this plug? note the vac hose is plugged in.

the white plug with two prongs facing camera
closer up
Old 06-23-2017, 06:37 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe I can answer my question, what's pictured there is a vacuum control switch on the break to disengage cruise control in the brake is pressed. There should be a similar switch on the clutch pedal.

problem is I don't remember seeing a vacuum line off of the one on the clutch pedal.

I don't have a clear understanding of it yet but I can imagine there's a solenoid that opens to release the vacuum pressure when you press either pedal. Thus disengaging the cruise control when either pedal is pressed.

good thing C4 Corvettes are the next generation to start rising in popularity, all this knowledge I'm gaining for no good reason other than a hobby will be worth something someday! maybe I'll start a Corvette shop one day or buy into one.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 AM
knikula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

in my '84 FSM for a manual car, there are two electrical switches, wired in series, one for each the clutch and the brake pedal. These switches are closed without pressing on the brake or clutch.

But only one vacuum line switch, for the brake pedal. The vacuum line doesn't disengage the cruise function , it only serves as a backup safety to remove the ability of the cruise to function in case the electrical system fails.

Yep, 2 solenoids, one to add vacuum , one to vent the diaphragm. The electrical troubleshooting FSM does a really nice job showing how the system works.
When I received my FSM , it was mint. Now it's pretty beat up. Lots of good stuff in there.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:52 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

My 86 is setup the same way. I do believe the same switch has another application.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:51 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
My 86 is setup the same way. I do believe the same switch has another application.

i didnt get a chance to look at it today.

does yours have a wire plugged into that white switch on the brakepedal? i couldnt find a lonely plug dangling looking for a home under my dash
Old 06-25-2017, 12:47 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default a few dangling electrica assemblies, anybody see the pigtail for the brake switch?

deleted

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 07-04-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To stoplamp and cruise control switch?? not plugged in??

Quick Reply: stoplamp and cruise control switch?? not plugged in??