C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is this a knuckleheaded fix of an AC evaporator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Is this a knuckleheaded fix of an AC evaporator?

I was going to add some Freon to my 93 and I see this.
What the hell. Is that evaporator meant for a an Impala or something???
If I move the expansion tank, the AC fitting flexes.

This cannot be factory.

Any C4 AC experts in the Denver area?

Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

That looks like a 134a fitting, I am not sure when GM changed over the C4, but if your car was originally charged with R12 then it was probably converted at some point.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
That looks like a 134a fitting, I am not sure when GM changed over the C4, but if your car was originally charged with R12 then it was probably converted at some point.
The web says 93 chevys are 134a.

How hard is it to dig into the evaporator box?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know I can unmount the exp tank & put in Freon, but I suspect the fitting leaks due to all the vibrational stress it sees. This can't be right.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Don't trust the web, there should be a sticker under the hood with the type of refrigerant and amount of the charge. If your car was originally 134a than a PO could have installed an aftermarket evaporator.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

correct - that's a r134a adapter fitting. i'm no expert, and I could be wrong, but i'm thinking that's where the low pressure cycling switch should be mounted. not 100% sure, and not an LT1 AC expert, but the low pressure service port should be on the accumulator/dryer, like most other C4's. here's a parts breakdown - the book actually calls it a thermo expansion valve -

look around for an electrical connector plug laying around in the vicinity of that r134a adapter.

here's a pic of my 85 - your 93 should look similar -

and, to answer some of the OP's original questions, the 93 corvette originally should have been R12, and from the looks of it, it looks like the correct evaporator core.

these may help - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-93-lt1.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vice-port.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-1992-a.html

Last edited by Joe C; 06-27-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:56 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by colo63sw
If I move the expansion tank, the AC fitting flexes.

Originally Posted by Joe C
I believe the question is about the flexing of the refrigerant line, not the operation of the a/c. The a/c has apparently been working okay.(?)

Looking at these two photos, the difference is the missing insulation between the a/c line and the housing. That would allow the a/c line to wiggle! I had the same problem on my '84! A chunk of foam weatherstrip stuffed in this area solved my problem. This missing chunk of foam also resulted in a cold air discharge (leak) from the a/c housing in my car. Cliff Harris noticed this missing insulation in my car during a recent get-together! Thanks, Cliff! ( I hope you're doing okay, Cliff!)

Old 06-27-2017, 04:58 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Thanks Joe.
I checked again and it looks like 93 was the last year for R12 Freon.

Looks like I have a really bubbauped system. Put in an early evaporator and then added on 134a Freon and maybe patched in a wire to make up for a lack of the pressure switch.
I will check the can area at the front of the engine for the stock fill port.

More on this tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Thanks Joe.
I checked again and it looks like 93 was the last year for R12 Freon.

Looks like I have a really bubbauped system. Put in an early evaporator and then added on 134a Freon and maybe patched in a wire to make up for a lack of the pressure switch.
I will check the can area at the front of the engine for the stock fill port.

More on this tomorrow.
your low pressure service port should be located at the accumulator/dryer as shown -

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I believe the question is about the flexing of the refrigerant line, not the operation of the a/c. The a/c has apparently been working okay.(?)
i'm not reading that into the OP's original question. whether the A/C is working or not, that 93 corvette is not configured correctly. I would check if the electrical connector that should be plugged into the LP cycling switch - is there a jumper shorting the two electrical contacts. if not, the radiator cooling fan should be running constantly. I would also like to see a pic of the OP's accumulator/dryer.

Last edited by Joe C; 06-28-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

added on 134a Freon and maybe patched in a wire to make up for a lack of the pressure switch. I will check the area at the front of the engine for the stock fill port.
I doubt you have a Bubba'ed system. I really doubt someone smart enough to do a 134a refrigerant upgrade would eliminate the low pressure switch! The system wouldn't work right without the switch. There's some reason the 134a fill port is in that unusual location. I'm sure you'll find the l/p switch.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

I doubt you have a Bubba'ed system. I really doubt someone smart enough to do a 134a refrigerant upgrade would eliminate the low pressure switch! The system wouldn't work right without the switch. There's some reason the 134a fill port is in that unusual location. I'm sure you'll find the l/p switch.

I will have more photos later today or tomorrow.

But I will say: only a bubba would install an AC fitting that is touching another component in the engine bay.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:52 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

I will have more photos later today or tomorrow.

But I will say: only a bubba would install an AC fitting that is touching another component in the engine bay.
I just popped outside and took a look at my 93 I have a pressure switch in that Same area but it Points toward the valve cover.

Looking at some of the photos that have been attached of the Earlier year cars makes me wonder if he has one made for something like an 86

Last edited by s carter; 06-27-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:39 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter

I just popped outside and took a look at my 93 I have a pressure switch in that Same area but it Points toward the valve cover.

Looking at some of the photos that have been attached of the Earlier year cars makes me wonder if he has one made for something like an 86
I believe that '90 - '93 would be configured like your snapshot. My LT5 is pointed down but "away" from the engine. Call yours 120° and my LT5 maybe 210° from straight up. The one the OP has in his snapshot does appear to be an earlier car maybe through '89.

I'd think that before the OP goes about insinuating it was done by Bubba or his cousin he might think about his "inspection" before purchase. I'd thought this might have been questioned before money changed hands. I can't imagine most overlooking it. It could be a very well thought out approach to a repair. PO might know - maybe a very experienced C4 guy knew "just what to do"!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-27-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:14 PM
Joe C
Race Director

"smart enough" - oh really? . the system would work without an actual switch if the pins on electrical connector were shorted. that would apply a power signal to the heater/AC controller which in turn controls the A/C clutch relay and A/C clutch. whether the system works correctly or not is another thing, but it sounds to me like maybe someone was trying to bypass a pressure switch and force the system into full time "on" mode. the only place I could see someone relocating the low pressure switch would be at the accumulator/dryer, but I don't know how the inside of the accum/dryer is configured. so i'm not sure if that's a viable option. then you'd have to ask "why?" i'm starting to wonder if the OP has the correct evaporator core in the 93.

we really need to see the big and complete picture, especially that electrical connector, and if there's an actual LP cycle switch in the system, but with first impressions, something's not right. whether it been "bubba'd" or not is another thing.

Last edited by Joe C; 06-27-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

"smart enough" - oh really? . the system would work without an actual switch if the pins on electrical connector were shorted.
In a '93, wouldn't that give you an error code? With the pressure in the system bouncing against the high pressure safety cut-off switch?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Joe C
Race Director

In a '93, wouldn't that give you an error code? With the pressure in the system bouncing against the high pressure safety cut-off switch?

maybe - ??? - I don't know. I would think if there was sufficient Freon in the system it would not throw a code. if high and low pressures were within proper operating ranges, the ECM would see everything as normal.

too many unanswered questions. the OP needs to supply more info...
Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

maybe - ??? - I don't know. I would think if there was sufficient Freon in the system it would not throw a code. if high and low pressures were within proper operating ranges, the ECM would see everything as normal.

too many unanswered questions. the OP needs to supply more info...

The high pressure switch is just a safety, if the system is operating properly it should never come into play.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

The high pressure switch is just a safety, if the system is operating properly it should never come into play.
No, these later vettes use a variable output transducer not the simple switch as on the earlier ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a knuckleheaded fix of an AC evaporator?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

There are two basic configurations for the evaporator. Early with the fitting pointing outboard and later with it pointing inboard. It gets a little sketchy as some catalogs show one and some show the other for the later type. 4 Seasons shows the wrong part. If you look at Rock Auto they have both ways shown.

I have a new evaporator here with the fitting pointing outboard from 4 Seasons. I've had it sitting here forever and don't have the original box anymore but I think I got this for a later C4 and obviously didn't use it.

That 90 degree fitting is very a very typical part. My guess is that someone got this all together ran into this problem and moved the transducer to the accumulator to make it all work. I'm just not too keen on the elbow up against the expansion tank but I guess it worked this long. I guess we'll see...
Old 06-28-2017, 03:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tod Stiles
No, these later vettes use a variable output transducer not the simple switch as on the earlier ones.
are you sure about that? I could be wrong here, but looking at my 96 FSM, for both AC systems (RPO C60 manual and C68 electronic), it shows a simple on/off pressure switch for the LP cycling. C60 - open at 24.5 psi, close at 47 psi. for C68, open at 23 psi, close at 46 psi. nowhere does it show a transducer. however, IIRC, the LP switch does have a manual adjustment screw to tweak or fine tune the on/off pressures. an adjustment is necessary since the operating pressures differ from R12 vs. R134a. the function of the screw adjustment is to slide the on/off pressure window up or down the pressure scale. if it was a transducer, as you say, it would have to convert the pressures into a variable electrical signal feeding some other controller. the service schematics do not show it that way, but rather, just a simple 2-wire on/off pressure switch.

when I converted my 85 from R12, I purchased a (non-adjustable) LP cycling switch that was designed or pre-set for R134a operating pressures.

Originally Posted by Tod Stiles
There are two basic configurations for the evaporator. Early with the fitting pointing outboard and later with it pointing inboard. It gets a little sketchy as some catalogs show one and some show the other for the later type. 4 Seasons shows the wrong part. If you look at Rock Auto they have both ways shown.

I have a new evaporator here with the fitting pointing outboard from 4 Seasons. I've had it sitting here forever and don't have the original box anymore but I think I got this for a later C4 and obviously didn't use it.

That 90 degree fitting is very a very typical part. My guess is that someone got this all together ran into this problem and moved the transducer to the accumulator to make it all work. I'm just not too keen on the elbow up against the expansion tank but I guess it worked this long. I guess we'll see...
if that is the case, the OP may try this - i'm thinking the factory flare fitting on the evaporator may be a 1/4" or AN-4. a standard, AN-4, 90° elbow MAY be smaller than the R134a, 90° adapter. this may give enough clearance that the fitting would not interfere with the expansion tank. after the AN-4 elbow, a straight R134a adapter could be used. the same may apply if the fitting is a 3/16" (AN-3) -

edit: we may be talking apples and oranges here. i'm assuming we're talking about the low pressure cycling switch, and you my be referencing the (high pressure) A/C refrigerant pressure sensor. that appears to be some sort of a transducer feeding a (variable) electrical signal back to the powertrain control module. if that's the case, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Joe C; 06-28-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Edited for stupidity.....

Last edited by Silver85; 06-28-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this a knuckleheaded fix of an AC evaporator?