C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 corvette vacuum leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP84
Honestly if you really wanted to make sure the tank didn't have anything left in it or that there wasn't any rust in there you can check without having to drop the tank. You can look down into the tank from the top after removing the sending unit and the stock pump. If you want to do that you could check why the original pump isn't being used. I'm not sure why it isn't, doesn't make any sense why its not.
Do i remove this rubber gas catch thing and how do i look through tiny nozle lol and what/where is sending unit
Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mathew Malbone
Do i remove this rubber gas catch thing and how do i look through tiny nozle lol and what/where is sending unit

Think this is sending unit but it was unplugged
no fuel pump attached there is some sediment in tank i can feel is there a way to drain all of it or should i take a shopvac get in there and suck it all out
Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have traced line back no filter
Draining gas now is rebuilding carb something i can do i can rebuild dirtbike carb do they have to sync after rebuild?
That is an Elect. in-line fuel pump you dad must have installed when he did the carb. setup.The Carb. would require about 12psi (not sure) whereas the fuel injection, or TBI would require more pressure from the in-tank pump. He probably took the in tank pump out or just unhooked the wires.If it has been sitting for years, then the gas is definitely bad that is in the tank, and needs to be replaced;also, the carb. has most likely been "varnished up" and can be cleaned up with some carb/choke cleaner. Probably don't even have to remove it, just put some clean gas in the tank and spray carb cleaner in the jet vacuum ports and it will clean up real fine. You can get good access to the tank by removing the old pump at the filler cap. Maybe just unhook a line on the upstream side of the elect. fuel pump, turn the key on and let it empty the fuel tank ?? Anyway, would probably consult a local "gearhead" racer type mechanic with experience on carbureted engines, real basic "luddite" 60's type stuff, not complicated at all. Computer controlled/injected is complicated
Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Think this is sending unit but it was unplugged
no fuel pump attached there is some sediment in tank i can feel is there a way to drain all of it or should i take a shopvac get in there and suck it all out
Yes that is the sending unit, it reads the level of fuel in the tank. Guessing your gas gauge didn't work. Look up online what the 84 sending unit is supposed to look like with the pump attached. I would wipe it out with lint free rags and then you could shop vac it out. The original fuel pump for your car was a low PIS/volume. The CrossFire intake that was on there only ran at around 12 psi.

Edit: also make sure you clean off all that rust or you'll be back in the same boat! Put it back together, add a fuel filter and see how it runs. If it doesn't run for **** again then consider a carb rebuild.

You can spray it out with cleaner but I wouldn't recommend it. It wont clean out all the small parts very well, in addition to that if any partials fell down into the intake that wouldn't be good. I would clean the tank and put it back to gather, then talk to a mechanic shop about bring your car down and having them rebuild/clean the carb and have them tune the carb once its done. Then talk to them about replacing that fuel pump with the original one and using a fuel pressure regulator if needed.

Last edited by MikeP84; 07-26-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MikeP84
Yes that is the sending unit, it reads the level of fuel in the tank. Guessing your gas gauge didn't work. Look up online what the 84 sending unit is supposed to look like with the pump attached. I would wipe it out with lint free rags and then you could shop vac it out. The original fuel pump for your car was a low PIS/volume. The CrossFire intake that was on there only ran at around 12 psi.

Edit: also make sure you clean off all that rust or you'll be back in the same boat! Put it back together, add a fuel filter and see how it runs. If it doesn't run for **** again then consider a carb rebuild.

You can spray it out with cleaner but I wouldn't recommend it. It wont clean out all the small parts very well, in addition to that if any partials fell down into the intake that wouldn't be good. I would clean the tank and put it back to gather, then talk to a mechanic shop about bring your car down and having them rebuild/clean the carb and have them tune the carb once its done. Then talk to them about replacing that fuel pump with the original one and using a fuel pressure regulator if needed.
that tube with rest on it how do i get the caked out rust from ininside of it? AndAnd ill try turning key backwards when i get off work and how do i drain tank complete the fuel pump only got so much is there a hose at bottom of tank i can pull to completely drain it?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:07 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmm your going to have to get creative about that. You might be able to run a screw driver up inside of it. If you cant clean it out, it is the return line so you could cut it, I don't think its length make any difference. The rust definitely indicates water in tank. For how to get the rest of the gas out, do you know how to siphon? Just take a clear tube and put it in the tank, then suck on the other end until you start to see gas coming down to your mouth. Then put that end down into a bucket. Just make sure that the end your sucking on is below the other end that is in the tank. If you don't want to do that you could get some longer 3/8 black tubing and replace the one that is on your sending unit now. The 3/8 is the feed line and its just not long enough to get the rest of the gas out.

Ok let me know what it does when you turn the key backwards. I wouldn't turn it forwards to many times or you'll burn out the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 1984 corvette vacuum leaks