C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 OEM Radio / connection / Dimming problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 OEM Radio / connection / Dimming problem

Put a new OEM (Panasonic) and a scosche fai-3a converter unit in years ago. Ever since then the whole instrument panel goes dark when headlights are on and it is dark. Now I am putting in a new unit and researched the problem.

There is much talk about 90-93 SYS error and dimming problems on the panel with OEM radios and there is a fix posted with some resistors. Not exactly the same problem but very close.

So what is the right way of hooking up a new radio - when the radio only has connections for + constant, + accy, pwr ant, and of course Ground (and a thing for pwr amps that is not needed).

Connector C1 has yellow(hot in accy or run, radio fuse), Pink pwr ant, and Grey (interior lights dimming, and black Groudn)
Connector C240 has Brown(hot all times, hooked to light switch, and Orange(hot all times, ctsy clk fuse)
Connector C5 has was connected to the original 'display dimming output' which does not exist on the new unit.

I am a bit confused how to connect this and still have lights in the panel when driving af night

1989 Corvette Radio wiring

Last edited by Compuniac; 07-27-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Compuniac
Put a new unit in years ago. Ever since then the whole instrument panel goes dark when headlights are on and it is dark. Now I am putting in a new unit and researched the problem.

There is much talk about 90-93 SYS error and dimming problems and ther eis a fix posted with some resistors. Not exactly the same problem but very close.

So what is the right way of hooking up a new radio - when the radio only has connections for + constant, + accy, pwr ant, and of course Ground (and a thing for pwr amps that is not needed).

Connector C1 has yellow(hot in accy or run, radio fuse), Pink pwr ant, and Grey (interior lights dimming, and black Groudn)
Connector C240 has Brown(hot all times, hooked to light switch, and Orange(hot all times, ctsy clk fuse)
Connector C5 has was connected to the original 'display dimming output' which does not exist on the new unit.

I am a bit confused how to connect this and still have lights in the panel when driving af night

1989 Corvette Radio wiring
What kind of radio did you put in your 89?
If it's a stock 85-89 radio, that black wire out the back is not used

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 07-27-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
What kind of radio did you put in your 89?
If it's a stock 85-89 radio, that black wire out the back is not used
It is a cheapo Pnansonic with a scosche fai-3a converter. (updated the original post to be more clear)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It is a cheapo Pnansonic with a scosche fai-3a converter. (updated the original post to be more clear)
unhook any dimming feature. Early C4's don't have it

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 07-27-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

unhook any dimming feature. Early C4's don't have it
Not sure you understand the problem.
Problem occurs because one of the circuits are open as the dimming feature is not hooked up to the new radio(as is doesn't have an input for it). That circuit needs to be closed. That is the fix on a 90-93 but doesn't work on an 89.

So it needs to be closed - but which wire and how - use a resistor as on the 90-93s`

I suspect the brown wire since it is connected to the light switch but what to with it...
Old 07-27-2017, 09:20 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

What currently happens if you remove all the wires from the radio with the lights on? Do you have the C68 A/C?

Last edited by JimLentz; 07-27-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure you understand the problem.
Problem occurs because one of the circuits are open as the dimming feature is not hooked up to the new radio(as is doesn't have an input for it). That circuit needs to be closed. That is the fix on a 90-93 but doesn't work on an 89.

So it needs to be closed - but which wire and how - use a resistor as on the 90-93s`

I suspect the brown wire since it is connected to the light switch but what to with it...
like I said, Your 89 does not have a dimming wire to the radio. I don't understand what you hooked up.
I hate schematics
Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

If you'd post the model # of the radio you're attempting to install I'd think you'd have "correction" information quickly. I used "correction" intentionally. I'd also think the FAI-3A could have it's own set of issues for you're install. With a "cheapo" HU why the need for the FAI-3A. I ain't ever used one but I've friends that have certainly shared issues with their installs. None were C4

Do you have the complete instruction package for the FAI-3A?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If you'd post the model # of the radio you're attempting to install I'd think you'd have "correction" information quickly. I used "correction" intentionally. I'd also think the FAI-3A could have it's own set of issues for you're install. With a "cheapo" HU why the need for the FAI-3A. I ain't ever used one but I've friends that have certainly shared issues with their installs. None were C4

Do you have the complete instruction package for the FAI-3A?
I do - FAI is not the problem. For sure.
I really do not think it matters what radio but it is a Pioneer (and not a panasonic as I wrote before) DEH-4700BT.

The issue is how the car electronics behave when it is not connected as designed (in this case there not dimming function on the radio) - not the radio
Old 07-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

like I said, Your 89 does not have a dimming wire to the radio. I don't understand what you hooked up.
I hate schematics
Well - if you dont like schematics then you are probably not the right person to answer
The brown wire is connected to the light switch - I assume teh original radio will engage dimming when it is dark as sensored by the LRD in the panel AND the light switch is on.
There is a grey wire that has to do with some dimming AND the grey/white wire has to do with dimming and AC control? That is what the schematics tell me.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JimLentz
What currently happens if you remove all the wires from the radio with the lights on? Do you have the C68 A/C?
yes - the panel goes 99.9 black if it is dark out (does not dim if I shine a light in sensor on the panel or turn the headlight back off)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I do - FAI is not the problem. For sure.
I really do not think it matters what radio but it is a Pioneer (and not a panasonic as I wrote before) DEH-4700BT.

The issue is how the car electronics behave when it is not connected as designed (in this case there not dimming function on the radio) - not the radio
I'd think you just use known supply to whichever wire to control the Pioneer lighting. I doubt you can establish dimming.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-27-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

If your only concern is "lighting" you just use the 8A-117 for "Interior Light Dimming" and connect your radio lighting to that.
Execpt that is the whole problem. The circuit is open because there is no dimming on the radio. The open circuit 'confuses' the light switch wire (brown I suspect) because there is no where to hook it up!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Execpt that is the whole problem. The circuit is open because there is no dimming on the radio. The open circuit 'confuses' the light switch wire (brown I suspect) because there is no where to hook it up!
I changed my earlier post while you were doing this - I doubt you can control dimming unless there's multiple choice wiring for the Pioneer. I didn't look at the wiring schematic because I don't see an English option for the install, Portuguese I don't comprehend.

Only a WAG but with the radio being newer and BT etc that there's likely internal control for dimming! Do you have the "USERS" guide?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

That circuit goes to other areas of the car, so having the wire to the radio disconnected for dimming should not cause a problem.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

I changed my earlier post while you were doing this - I doubt you can control dimming unless there's multiple choice wiring for the Pioneer. I didn't look at the wiring schematic because I don't see an English option for the install, Portuguese I don't comprehend.

Only a WAG but with the radio being newer and BT etc that there's likely internal control for dimming! Do you have the "USERS" guide?
I have absolutely no interest in establishing dimming - I want to be able to see the instrument panel when it is dark and the lights are on.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Compuniac
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JimLentz
That circuit goes to other areas of the car, so having the wire to the radio disconnected for dimming should not cause a problem.
*should*
this is exactly what is the problem on a 90-93 as documented in the FAQ.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:22 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

*should*
this is exactly what is the problem on a 90-93 as documented in the FAQ.
Later C4 with CCM etc are very different. If removing the "GRAY IP wire" does create an issue I'd think a quick check/test would be a bulb/socket to the wire and see if you get IP dimming back OR actually if you splice the GRAY to GRAY/WHT to AC control lighting I'd think you're back in business for all.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-27-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 OEM Radio / connection / Dimming problem

Quick Reply: 1989 OEM Radio / connection / Dimming problem