C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Another head scratcher...rear deck release switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:42 AM
EA-vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another head scratcher...rear deck release switch

I am new to the forum. As I progress on this 1989 C4 restore I am finding fix one thing...find a hand full of others to fix. Yikes...but that's why it's a challenging hobby.

Here's my new head scratcher. I removed all the carpet for either cleaning or replacing. When I removed the rear deck carpet the switch that releases the deck glass stopped functioning! Good thing I surfaced the manual release cable before I took the carpet out. Since I have all the door panels, and console out I am just using the driver door switch. Literally worked to open the back glass removed carpet no work no more. (I did remove the negative battery cable to stop the alarm that fired up when I opened the passenger's side door).

Any ideas on why?? Corvettes...doncha just love em!!

Eldon
Old 07-31-2017, 04:07 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I may be talking out of school.. But I think I had the same problem and (If I remember right) it was the interior light timer?

I am wanting to say it burned up and the door hatch switches didn't work, but the console switch did?

It's an 85 so it may be different, but the int lights in the halo quit working too. When I jumped past it, the lights worked again and so did the door switches.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:21 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by EA-vette
(I did remove the negative battery cable to stop the alarm that fired up when I opened the passenger's side door).

Any ideas on why?? Corvettes...doncha just love em!!

Eldon
Did you reconnect the battery?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:30 PM
EA-vette
Intermediate

Default Head Scratcher

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Did you reconnect the battery?
Yep. Thought that with the battery disconnect maybe a "reset" was in order so I hit the ignition key, also.

I'm going to freshen up all the grounding connections as this little electrical gremlin isn't the only one I have experienced (radio playing then stopping then playing again...environmental controls on then off then back on).

Confab may be on to something. As I strolled out to continue on the "restore corvette" experience I hit the switch again. It worked.

Thanks for helping me out.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 PM
EA-vette
Intermediate

Default Scratched head

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
If the dome lights aren't on, the door release switches don't work. ...Center console button is not associated with the dome lights like the door switches are.
You hit the nail on the head. Since this Vette is in an advanced state of interior dismantle I was leaning in the window to hit the switch...nada. I opened the door...dome lights cam on...presto...switch worked.

Thank you ihatebarkingdogs.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:54 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I don't know about other years, but my '86 (with auto trans)... The hatch release buttons on the doors are grounded through the interior light delay timer. The interior lights must be on for the switch to work. Seems stupid to me because you can't get to the switches with the doors closed.

The center console release switch is grounded in two different ways, depending on whether you have an auto or manual trans. If you have an auto trans, it gets its ground from the starter solenoid (the hatch can't be opened while the starter is cranking -- weird). The manual trans grounds through the emergency brake. The brake must be engaged to open the hatch.

Get notified of new replies

To Another head scratcher...rear deck release switch

Quick Reply: Another head scratcher...rear deck release switch