C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 C4 A/C Compressor/Hose Match-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 03:28 PM
papaleo1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1992 C4 A/C Compressor/Hose Match-up

Been going nuts trying to resolve a mismatch between a new AC/Delco a/c compressor (Denso) and the manifold on the hose.

The hose side of the equation has a flat manifold. Two different model numbers AC/Delco compressors have a notched manifold. Chevy Dealer has no answers and no update hose numbers. Part supplier has checked everything and no answers.

Been trying a work-around with special washers but won't hold vacuum. Besides some goop to seal it up, does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:07 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by papaleo1
Been going nuts trying to resolve a mismatch between a new AC/Delco a/c compressor (Denso) and the manifold on the hose.

The hose side of the equation has a flat manifold. Two different model numbers AC/Delco compressors have a notched manifold. Chevy Dealer has no answers and no update hose numbers. Part supplier has checked everything and no answers.

Been trying a work-around with special washers but won't hold vacuum. Besides some goop to seal it up, does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!
You've purchased new compressor and also A/C hose, only compressor attempting to use with old original hose OR some other combination.

Part# of the compressor you've purchased and the vendor is who?

Part numbers of what you've purchased? All of them!

**Have you considered using the manifold from the old compressor and a new gasket to compressor? If the AC Hose is a match to the old compressor I'd consider that. It appears that the ACD has likely the later manifold that would use sealing washers, I don't know that I've seen an adapter block that actually goes from washer to the older AC hose.

Snapshot of the compressor manifold and maybe the block on the AC fitting.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-01-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:44 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

You should be able to unbolt and reuse your original Manifold from the Old Compressor, it's held down by four bolts.. picture for reference my 95

Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

This should be the seal kit you got with your compressor. (top row - compressor seals). There are other, thicker hose to compressor seals too. it would be helpful if you could tell us the depth of the relief in the compressor manifold. Also the hose end has a smooth surface with small raised areas that fit into the opening in the manifold, right?
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2017, 01:20 PM
papaleo1
Cruising

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I thought of changing the top of the compressor as that would have solved the problem. Unfortunately, the original compressor ended-up in the dump several weeks ago. The system held vacuum - and 134a - for a few weeks. I didn't drive the car for a week and it no longer cooled.

Denso 471-0335 is the replacement compressor. It came with the assortment of o-rings and seals, which originally worked, for awhile. The hose was a GM hose replaced two years ago that matched the old compressor. PartsGeek also shows W0133-1911794. I had that shipped
but it also has the notched manifold.

Attached is a picture of the top of the current compressor. You can see the gap that I closed with two washers. I ordered some seals from Rock Auto tha I will try but if they fail, I'm stumped.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2017, 03:14 PM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Your hose attachment would fit my manifold (see below). Mine is a 1989 model Denso compressor. Easiest fix for you would be to find a compressor like mine (junkyard) and switch out the manifold with your compressor. Although your refrigerant lines exit from the front of the compressor, and mine come out the rear. It might work...

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I thought of changing the top of the compressor as that would have solved the problem. Unfortunately, the original compressor ended-up in the dump several weeks ago. The system held vacuum - and 134a - for a few weeks. I didn't drive the car for a week and it no longer cooled.

*snip*
Attached is a picture of the top of the current compressor. You can see the gap that I closed with two washers. I ordered some seals from Rock Auto tha I will try but if they fail, I'm stumped.
Yep, looks as though the lower (in the photo) part of the flange has closed up tight on the compressor. That's probably where your leak is. The flange is probably cocked a small amount too. There should be a very small gap between the flange and the compressor once it's all torqued down.

There are 4-5 different thickness seals all color coded by thickness. Been there done that with all new compressor, hoses and stuff. I can't for the life of me figure out why it was done this way. BTW we are not alone, BMW cars have had this problem as well as GM cars and others. I could rant on...

Hope it all works out OK for you.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Denso 471-0335 is the replacement compressor. It came with the assortment of o-rings and seals, which originally worked, for awhile. The hose was a GM hose replaced two years ago that matched the old compressor. PartsGeek also shows W0133-1911794. I had that shipped
but it also has the notched manifold.

OK I see the issue here; Your current Manifold, and or mine are the same basic casting, it appears that there is an "off set" between the Suction side, and Pressure side hose's, mating surface's > and the manifold.

Your hose assembly does not have this "off set" thus creating a gap. The hose assembly is not the correct build, it could be the right part # just not made correctly.

Do you still have the old Hose Assembly? This can be rebuilt (re-hosed) by a reputable A/C Distributor [ACKits] for example. Or you may be able to go aftermarket e.g. Auto-zone, Oriely's etc..

Or; if you can establish the precise off set and find a "Washer" along with two seals to fit the correct off-set distance.

One thing you cannot do is stack seals on top of each other, just will not work.. Having said this you can separate the seals with a flat smooth washer in between the two seal with out a problem. The only Caveat is you have to establish the right thickness so that the Manifold seats Parallel and even.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:08 AM
papaleo1
Cruising

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm going to try every suggestion, starting with different seal/o-ring combinations. I thought two seals up against each other would be a good thing!

Junkyard will be last ditch effort.

Never forget - "nothing's easy"!

Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Junkyard will be last ditch effort.
I believe that it would be the first place that I'd look. The part using correct terminology is a "service valve" and yours I believe needs to be from a '92 & '93 only. You can't mix the earlier L98 "service valve" that was suggested earlier as a ...might

I might consider a WTB here in the C4 section also. Someone parting a '92 or '93 could likely help and the part is an "easy access" removal. If a car has gotten to the "parting" point in it's life I'd think from a user here on the CF maybe a freebie. A 'denso 10PA20 compressor is typically serviced with just a "plate" sealing the compressor and the "service valve" dictates vehicle fitment and is transferred from the old.

I asked earlier where purchased and you didn't mention the source. Where?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-02-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 AM
papaleo1
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe that it would be the first place that I'd look. The part using correct terminology is a "service valve" and yours I believe needs to be from a '92 & '93 only. You can't mix the earlier L98 "service valve" that was suggested earlier as a ...might

I might consider a WTB here in the C4 section also. Someone parting a '92 or '93 could likely help and the part is an "easy access" removal. If a car has gotten to the "parting" point in it's life I'd think from a user here on the CF maybe a freebie. A 'denso 10PA20 compressor is typically serviced with just a "plate" sealing the compressor and the "service valve" dictates vehicle fitment and is transferred from the old.

I asked earlier where purchased and you didn't mention the source. Where?
That's a great idea. I'll start right here on the forum. Knowing what to call it will help.

PartsGeek.com is where I purchased it. I connected with a a great guy who took the time to help me....Dennis. Said he's been in the parts business a lot of years and he was great. Not your typical service rep at an online store.

Thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 C4 A/C Compressor/Hose Match-up

Quick Reply: 1992 C4 A/C Compressor/Hose Match-up