C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dumb question-what does knock sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by drcook
try some GOOD gas as others have said. in my truck it was the knock sensor failing that didn't let the engine time itself back that allowed the knock to creap in BUT I would try the good gas first.
if the knock sensor is failing, it wouldn't throw the code 43, right? Or is that faulty logic?

knock sensor and pigtail is pretty cheap I'm sure, and like I said it looks like it's crap anyway. I might go ahead and replace before too long, but I will try the good gas first.

since I have half a tank of crap already, what do I do? Fill it up with the good stuff? add seafoam to what I already have?
Old 08-02-2017, 05:55 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

well all this caused me to go looking out on the web. unplug and replug the knock sensor(s) and get some good gas. you were probably going to get some good gas anyway.

start with the least expensive first
Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
if the knock sensor is failing, it wouldn't throw the code 43, right? Or is that faulty logic?

knock sensor and pigtail is pretty cheap I'm sure, and like I said it looks like it's crap anyway. I might go ahead and replace before too long, but I will try the good gas first.

since I have half a tank of crap already, what do I do? Fill it up with the good stuff? add seafoam to what I already have?
IIRC, on startup it does stuff that creates a knock and if the ECM doesn't hear enough knock, a code is thrown.

I would cut off the old pigtail and put a new one in place. Twist them together and solder the wires. Shrink wrap them. Some coolant will come out when you take out the KS.

If you suspect the gas, I would suck it out and put fresh premium gas in it. I never recommend the snake oils but they got to get money out of customers.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I was also thinking of changing the spark plug gap. I bought .045 gapped plugs, but recently found out that after the car was released the spec was changed to .035 for my engine. Should I re-gap my spark plugs?

I've also ordered a new knock sensor and pigtail. They're cheap and mine have probably needed to be changed for some time now.

I may be seriously overthinking this but I don't want to have to worry about knock and ruining my engine.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I was also thinking of changing the spark plug gap. I bought .045 gapped plugs, but recently found out that after the car was released the spec was changed to .035 for my engine. Should I re-gap my spark plugs?

I've also ordered a new knock sensor and pigtail. They're cheap and mine have probably needed to be changed for some time now.

I may be seriously overthinking this but I don't want to have to worry about knock and ruining my engine.
I would just for peace of mind.

Got time to do a coolant flush since you are going there?

If the gap is too large, I don't think it will knock. Misfire, possible since the spark might not be able to jump the gap. KS will remove knock till it can't anymore. How is the compression?
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aklim
I would just for peace of mind.

Got time to do a coolant flush since you are going there?

If the gap is too large, I don't think it will knock. Misfire, possible since the spark might not be able to jump the gap. KS will remove knock till it can't anymore. How is the compression?
haven't checked compression super recently, but I did when I was working on my misfire and it was good all around. I doubt it has changed.

Curious, why would I do a coolant flush? I have flushed the system previously. Just not sure how it would affect knock. My engine stays nice and cool so I doubt there is an issue there...
Old 08-03-2017, 10:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

haven't checked compression super recently, but I did when I was working on my misfire and it was good all around. I doubt it has changed.

Curious, why would I do a coolant flush? I have flushed the system previously. Just not sure how it would affect knock. My engine stays nice and cool so I doubt there is an issue there...
If it was good recently, go for it. I don't spend money fixing junk so I like to be sure before I do hence the question.

If it is within 2 years and you reverse flushed the system through the KS to wash out sediment, you just need to top off the coolant loss.
Bfenty (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:09 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Why Aklim is getting you 2 Services for the price of 1 Knock Sensor screws into Coolant Jacket it is also one of the Lowest points in the Coolant System so if there is Crap in your coolant System that is a good place to blow it out of the Block.
Bfenty (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:18 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by s carter
Why Aklim is getting you 2 Services for the price of 1 Knock Sensor screws into Coolant Jacket it is also one of the Lowest points in the Coolant System so if there is Crap in your coolant System that is a good place to blow it out of the Block.
When I do my flush, I lay under the car and send water into the KS hole and let it flow out. Repeat several times till happy. Later on I also remove the hose for the oil cooler and do the same. Suffice to say, I do this as last thing of the day, hose myself off, dry up, go inside and take a shower.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:47 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Just a good time to learn tuning your car. Yes get some good gas and a maintenance manual for your year vette. Learn how to set base timing. When you master that look into a real time scan which requires a scanner (used OBD I) or a laptop with the correct cable and software. Then you can really analyze your engine.

Good luck.
Bfenty (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cardo0
Just a good time to learn tuning your car. Yes get some good gas and a maintenance manual for your year vette. Learn how to set base timing. When you master that look into a real time scan which requires a scanner (used OBD I) or a laptop with the correct cable and software. Then you can really analyze your engine.

Good luck.
Is there a good guide out there for someone who has NEVER set timing on an engine before? I understand the concept, but I've never done it.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:31 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Is there a good guide out there for someone who has NEVER set timing on an engine before? I understand the concept, but I've never done it.
Here is a link to a how to a Video it's a pretty basic
Bfenty (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Here is a link to a how to a Video it's a pretty basic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMYsU-Xivk
Thank you for this
Old 08-03-2017, 02:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

http://m.autozone.com/wrenches-pliers-and-cutters/wrench/duralast-2-pcs-distributor-clamp-wrench-set/914110_0_0?cmpid=PS:3:3:1&s_kwcid=AL!514 2!3!193278490474!!!!296346273086!&ef_id= WP5ulAAAAd3yu8nn:20170803185749:s
Old 08-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Here's a video i took this morning or a short test drive. You can hear the sound it's making when I hit the accelerator a little harder, the clicking sound.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:02 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Can't hear a thing. Maybe it would help to shoot the tach so we can tell what you're doing.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Hmmm...in the original you can hear it clearly. Youtube seems to have removed audio for some reason?

EDIT: the original audio is back. from 4-6 seconds you can hear a clicking sound when I hit the accelerator. That's what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Bfenty; 08-04-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more info

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb question-what does knock sound like?

Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Hmmm...in the original you can hear it clearly. Youtube seems to have removed audio for some reason?

EDIT: the original audio is back. from 4-6 seconds you can hear a clicking sound when I hit the accelerator. That's what I'm talking about.
is it a Metal on Metal Buzz When Expectorating, In 84/85 we had a Bit of a Problem with inner walls of the Exhaust Pipes Separating it would make a Rattle/Buzz that would make you crazy to hear and drive Nuts to find.

So get the Car off the ground enough to get under and with a SOFT Mallet or the Heel of your hand hit the Y Pipe Starting by the Bend by the Manifolds and work your way back. If my Hunch is Correct you will pick up the Rattle about 6 to 15' from the bend. if you hear let me know and I will tell you a quick a Cost free repair
Old 08-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

is it a Metal on Metal Buzz When Expectorating, In 84/85 we had a Bit of a Problem with inner walls of the Exhaust Pipes Separating it would make a Rattle/Buzz that would make you crazy to hear and drive Nuts to find.

So get the Car off the ground enough to get under and with a SOFT Mallet or the Heel of your hand hit the Y Pipe Starting by the Bend by the Manifolds and work your way back. If my Hunch is Correct you will pick up the Rattle about 6 to 15' from the bend. if you hear let me know and I will tell you a quick a Cost free repair
it IS a metal on metal rattle sound. What makes me think knock, though, is that it shows up pretty much only when the engine is under load and isn't related to RPM range so much. Could be related to the amount of exhaust produced, however...more engine load=more exhaust, right?

Update to the overall situation-put Lucas Octane Booster in and about 8 gallons of 93 Octane fuel from BP. I figure the Octane Booster would help, even if it's only a little bit, and since the tank is now half 93 Octane, it's probably a lot better octane overall in there. Still getting the rattle under load.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
subject to buildup on the valves and combustion chambers due to cruddy gas, and or just plain impurities in the fuel.
More likely from leaking valve stem oil seals. Since seafoam is mostly oil and alcohol, I can't see how it would clean valves very well.

Have you seen the thread where I posted pics of my intake valves?

Quick Reply: Dumb question-what does knock sound like?