C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dumb question-what does knock sound like?

Old 08-06-2017, 06:10 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 433 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
Thanks. I'm well aware of how little I know. My problems increase because I'm learning new things I never would have thought to even check for. For instance, someone had mentioned the balancer and rubber coming out of it. I took a look and, sure enough, there is rubber coming out of it-it appears to be shot. So that's something to start with.

I really appreciate all the help I receive on this forum, and I hope that comes across. I am certainly no mechanic, but I'm learning, and I want to avoid taking this car to a shop as much as possible. I'd rather learn how to fix it myself than let someone else do it.
If you have Rubber coming out the Balancer odds are outer Ring If NOT has moved it will soon so I would move that up on your To Do list because if it did move timing marks are Useless and if it Totally Fails it can Opens up Can's of Worms that you could do without.

Changing a Balancer is a Bit of a Knuckle Buster and given the tight spaces the Proper tools can make it Easier
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (08-06-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by s carter
If you have Rubber coming out the Balancer odds are outer Ring If NOT has moved it will soon so I would move that up on your To Do list because if it did move timing marks are Useless and if it Totally Fails it can Opens up Can's of Worms that you could do without.

Changing a Balancer is a Bit of a Knuckle Buster and given the tight spaces the Proper tools can make it Easier
Thank you-yeah it sounds like it need to move up on the todo list. You mention the proper tools-anything besides a breaker bar, ratchet, and balancer puller (which I will rent)? Is it like an all-day Saturday kind of job, or easier than that? I'll google to find more info but sounds like you've done this, so any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Thank you-yeah it sounds like it need to move up on the todo list. You mention the proper tools-anything besides a breaker bar, ratchet, and balancer puller (which I will rent)? Is it like an all-day Saturday kind of job, or easier than that? I'll google to find more info but sounds like you've done this, so any advice is appreciated.
A Dampener installer is a MUST preferably with a short shaft.
Bfenty (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

A Dampener installer is a MUST preferably with a short shaft.
Something like this?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:00 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Something like this?
Without putting my hands on it Directly on, this is the Closest that I to what I have from Mac Tools that worked for me.

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...ler/391373_0_0
Bfenty (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Without putting my hands on it Directly on, this is the Closest that I to what I have from Mac Tools that worked for me.

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...ler/391373_0_0
Awesome, thanks.

What does that actually do? I understand the concept of the puller, that's pretty straightforward, but I thought I would just slide the new one on?
Old 08-07-2017, 12:24 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Awesome, thanks.

What does that actually do? I understand the concept of the puller, that's pretty straightforward, but I thought I would just slide the new one on?
NOPE the old one is pulled with Force. The new one is Drawn Back on with the Installer. Some May say smack it with a hammer to get started and draw on with the Crank Bolt WRONG!!!!! Mess up the Crank Threads Ouch rather not. Line up the Keyway use tool correctly don't let Installer Shaft over tighten in Crank goes together Fairly easy, Remove Installer.

Install Crank Bolt Torque the crank bolt Correctly(60ft. if memory is Correct) and you should be to go.

Last edited by s carter; 08-07-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Bfenty (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

NOPE the old one is pulled with Force. The new one is Drawn Back on with the Installer. Some May say smack it with a hammer to get started and draw on with the Crank Bolt WRONG!!!!! Mess up the Crank Threads Ouch rather not. Line up the Keyway use tool correctly don't let Installer Shaft over tighten in Crank goes together Fairly easy.

Torque the crank bolt Correctly(60ft. if memory is Correct) and you should be to go.
Thanks! catastrophe potentially avoided.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Thanks! catastrophe potentially avoided.
It might be Kind of Interesting if you check Timing before and after the Dampener is replaced to see if the Dampener has slipped.

Also make Sure the New Dampener has the Timing line on it, Though I have never seen one without I have Heard someone saying in a post About Top Dead Center Post talk about His Didn't Have it.
Bfenty (08-07-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Got the new balancer installed. It had the timing mark on it, but I added some model paint to it anyway to make it easier to see.

Couple notes on the installation:

Removal was easy. Took maybe 30 minutes. The power steering line doesn't need to be moved, it has a nice little loop in it right where the tool goes-I'd even venture to say it was designed with this in mind.

Re-attachment wasn't so easy. I had read on here that I should just tap the thing into place with a hammer and wood block. I tried that but there's no room to swing the hammer. I'd have to take out a significant amount of stuff to do this.

I rented the tool (you need the 'standard', not the 'long reach' from Autozone). It's the 7/16 20 bolt adapter that you use.

That sucker was HARD to get on there. I was cranking with a large crescent wrench with a pipe extension on it, and it was still nearly impossible to move for me. Maybe my desk job is just getting to me, but man that was difficult. I used trans fluid to lube it up before sliding on there and it still was very difficult.

After I got it done, there is a noticeable improvement in engine vibration. The old balancer was completely shot, for sure-the ring had slipped pretty badly and the rubber was out all over the place.

With the right tools this is a 1-2 hr job. Definitely get the install tool, it will make your life so much easier.

Hope this helps someone else out there.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Good job. Gotta be careful what you read on forums. Except for a couple light taps with a wood block and hammer, you don't want to pound on the thing. Get a FSM and a small block engine assembly book. You'll need nothing more.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:00 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Got the new balancer installed. It had the timing mark on it, but I added some model paint to it anyway to make it easier to see.

Couple notes on the installation:

Removal was easy. Took maybe 30 minutes. The power steering line doesn't need to be moved, it has a nice little loop in it right where the tool goes-I'd even venture to say it was designed with this in mind.

Re-attachment wasn't so easy. I had read on here that I should just tap the thing into place with a hammer and wood block. I tried that but there's no room to swing the hammer. I'd have to take out a significant amount of stuff to do this.

I rented the tool (you need the 'standard', not the 'long reach' from Autozone). It's the 7/16 20 bolt adapter that you use.

That sucker was HARD to get on there. I was cranking with a large crescent wrench with a pipe extension on it, and it was still nearly impossible to move for me. Maybe my desk job is just getting to me, but man that was difficult. I used trans fluid to lube it up before sliding on there and it still was very difficult.

After I got it done, there is a noticeable improvement in engine vibration. The old balancer was completely shot, for sure-the ring had slipped pretty badly and the rubber was out all over the place.

With the right tools this is a 1-2 hr job. Definitely get the install tool, it will make your life so much easier.

Hope this helps someone else out there.
I am Surprised it Fought you going on, you did pretty much the same thing I did in the past a Lite oil but before the oil I normally give a cleaning with a little steel wool or wet 600 sand paper and diesel or some other lite oil cleaner. Just like you ATF or some Spray Lube and I never really had one that Fought me Effort YES Fight Hard No.

With the effort it took just Imagine if you went the start with a Hammer and draw on with Crank bolt route, that would have been a whole other pile of Forum posts

Last edited by s carter; 08-21-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

With the effort it took just Imagine if you went the start with a Hammer and draw on with Crank bolt route, that would have been a whole other pile of Forum posts
Yup. Wouldn't even attempt that.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:15 AM
aguilar92c4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My knock sensor code threw today. When I accelerate I do sometimes get a popping sound, but I’ve got straight pipe exhaust and the engine is so loud it’s hard to tell. It doesn’t sound like metal pinging at all. To me it just sounds like the engine is chugging a little. Don’t want to damage my engine by driving it with a knock though.
it sounds identical to a tambourine. It is a mettalic sound.
Bfenty (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:50 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aguilar92c4
it sounds identical to a tambourine. It is a mettalic sound.
OK-I get that under HARD acceleration, like WOT.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM
383vett
Race Director

Do your plugs have little black spots on them? That usually accompanies light detonation.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 383vett
Do your plugs have little black spots on them? That usually accompanies light detonation.
Not that I've noticed. Below is a pic, they all look about the same.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 PM
383vett
Race Director

Looks like a nice plug. I don't see signs of detonation.
Bfenty (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 383vett
Looks like a nice plug. I don't see signs of detonation.
Thanks-that's what I'm thinking too. I've had several people who know WAY more than I do about cars ride with me in the last few weeks, and all of them say that it doesn't really sound like it's knocking-it's too quiet. They say it might be exhaust leaking-it has more of a 'pfft' sound to it (like exhaust escaping) with a little bit of rattle than of metal banging. It's hard to tell these things though and I may be chasing this noise for years.

I know it DOES knock under WOT, I've had that happen a few times and it's much louder and sounds just like a tambourine. I still need to work to fix that, but I think as long as I avoid stomping the accelerator it will be fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumb question-what does knock sound like?