C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dumb question-what does knock sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Dumb question-what does knock sound like?

My knock sensor code threw today. When I accelerate I do sometimes get a popping sound, but I’ve got straight pipe exhaust and the engine is so loud it’s hard to tell. It doesn’t sound like metal pinging at all. To me it just sounds like the engine is chugging a little. Don’t want to damage my engine by driving it with a knock though.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Take your knuckle and "knock" it on a wooden table. Thats what it sounds like to me anyway.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

To me it's a metallic tic or rattle.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 436 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Take your knuckle and "knock" it on a wooden table. Thats what it sounds like to me anyway.
The Kind of Knock Being Described here is the Mechanical type. Bottom end Rap, Broken Cat. Converter even a cracked Flex Plate. But the kind that mostly that throw a code from Knock Sensor is the Timing type (PING) Cheap Fuel Timing OFF, Weak/Dead Cylinder.

So Follow the Procedure to Set Timing, once set and Distributor is plugged in and running in a normal manner, Raise Idle to about 1200/1500 RPM look at timing mark and have a Friend with a real long Extension give some LITE raps on a Head bolt on Passenger side of block timing Should Jump Back with the Raps. Proving Knock Sensor is working.

Last edited by s carter; 08-02-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I think its closest to a pop or rattle. How should I go about diagnosing what’s causing the knock?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 436 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
I think its closest to a pop or rattle. How should I go about diagnosing what’s causing the knock?
Good Wires,Good Plugs,Firing Order Correct,Timing Set Correctly,Gas That Didn't come El-Cheapo,Good Cap & Rotor, Check Compression that Numbers are at-least semi Balanced. Start Basic and work out.

Running an Open Exhaust Car may Run a Little Crappy I know I don't like it

Last edited by s carter; 08-01-2017 at 09:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by s carter
Good Wires,Good Plugs,Firing Order Correct,Timing Set Correctly,Gas That Didn't come El-Cheapo,Good Cap & Rotor, Check Compression that Numbers are at-least semi Balanced. Start Basic and work out.

Running an Open Exhaust Car may Run a Little Crappy I know I don't like it
wires, plugs, cap, and rotor are all new-although the plugs may have fouled before i got the injectors fixed-I will pull those and check them soon.

Timing was checked by a shop I trust (meaning I didn't touch it myself). I've double-checked the firing order a few times, I'm certain that's not a problem.

Gas was regular unleaded from Speedway-do I need to run higher octane?

Compression is good on all cylinders, I checked it trying to fix a bad misfire.

Open exhaust was how I bought it. I'll be honest, I like to make some noise, but you're right it could cause issues.

I'll probably put in new gas and pull the plugs first. Out of the list, those are the only two I think could reasonably have an issue. It's only doing it under load-when I hit the accelerator or drive up a hill. On flat ground or downhill the noise isn't there.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

wires, plugs, cap, and rotor are all new-although the plugs may have fouled before i got the injectors fixed-I will pull those and check them soon.

Timing was checked by a shop I trust (meaning I didn't touch it myself). I've double-checked the firing order a few times, I'm certain that's not a problem.

Compression is good on all cylinders, I checked it trying to fix a bad misfire.

Open exhaust was how I bought it. I'll be honest, I like to make some noise, but you're right it could cause issues.

I'll probably put in new gas and pull the plugs first. Out of the list, those are the only two I think could reasonably have an issue. It's only doing it under load-when I hit the accelerator or drive up a hill. On flat ground or downhill the noise isn't there.
Put premium gas in and see if it goes away. If it does, start using premium (good choice) or retard timing.
whalepirot (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 383vett
Put premium gas in and see if it goes away. If it does, start using premium (good choice) or retard timing.
I will do that.

It occurs to me PO might have advanced timing. I will check timing myself I think.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:21 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

What exactly is the code it threw? I thought you said timing was checked by a shop you trust?
Bfenty (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:21 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aklim
What exactly is the code it threw? I thought you said timing was checked by a shop you trust?
Code 43. And yea i trust the shop. Just wanting to see it with my own eyes.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Code 43. And yea i trust the shop. Just wanting to see it with my own eyes.
Let's put that Asian for a while. If they screwed up the timing, they are morons. OTOH, it could be wrong because your harmonic balancer timing mark is moving because the balancer is screwed. Let's hold off on this.

Find the knock sensor and disconnect it and clean the connection. It might be loose. If the connection is bad, I'd change it and the connections
Bfenty (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

run some good gas, premium, run some Sea Foam through it. if you got some build up in the chambers you can get hot spots. Speedway is not the best gas, that is why it is cheap, at least around where I live it is cheap, one of the bottom tier places to get fuel
Old 08-02-2017, 11:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drcook
run some Sea Foam through it.

if you got some build up in the chambers you can get hot spots.

Speedway is not the best gas, that is why it is cheap, at least around where I live it is cheap, one of the bottom tier places to get fuel
I doubt the snake oil will do much. Cheaper to use water, or so I've been told.

You ever see that in a functional modern engine? I can't say I have except I old carbs

It probably is OK for you to put it in the lawnmower but before I go there, I'd check the connection first.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 PM
drcook
Safety Car

You ever see that in a functional modern engine? I can't say I have except I old carbs
why yes, I have. here are the heads from a mid-90's Beretta engine. Not the best pic, but if I have to prove my point I will take a better one. Notice the intake valves. A very significant buildup and the combustion chambers have a bit of carbon buildup. These were 50,000 mile heads we bought to fix the car after it cracked a head after 200,000 miles. Ultimately we junked it.

Mid 90's technology, just like our cars. Still subject to buildup on the valves and combustion chambers due to cruddy gas, and or just plain impurities in the fuel.

I never said it was a miracle treatment, but it helps. I actually have a can in my fuel tank right now to help overcome a tankfuel of cruddy fuel I got. It came from a top tier provider, but every station owner can specify what additives he/she wants in their fuel. Around where I live, Speedway is one of the cheaper places to purchase fuel

Of course the valve springs and such got some rust from sitting, but down in the intake ports the deposits on the valves are easy to see

Last edited by drcook; 08-02-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:08 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

FWIW a loose bracket could be rattling and cause the knock sensor to respond.

Straight pipes sure don't help you hear a problem. so try a stethoscope.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:38 PM
drcook
Safety Car

I will concede that my perceptions are based on the quality of fuel in Ohio. Ohio does not have the best fuel standards in the country.

Here is a read on fuel quality

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/fi...ull-Report.pdf

When the knock sensor went out on my 454 engine, it sounded like popcorn or like shaking something in a can. It was very distinctively a different sound. I hear lower level frequencies better so I picked up on it right away. It especially was noticeable on pulling a hill.
Bfenty (08-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb question-what does knock sound like?

Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I will concede that my perceptions are based on the quality of fuel in Ohio. Ohio does not have the best fuel standards in the country.

Here is a read on fuel quality

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/fi...ull-Report.pdf

When the knock sensor went out on my 454 engine, it sounded like popcorn or like shaking something in a can. It was very distinctively a different sound. I hear lower level frequencies better so I picked up on it right away. It especially was noticeable on pulling a hill.
Something shaking in a can is a good way to describe what I'm hearing. It's a metallic rattle.

Also, I'm originally from Cincinnati. I always went to Speedway because it was cheap and (usually) fairly clean with good coffee. Never much cared about gas quality because I never had a car that it mattered for.

Last edited by Bfenty; 08-02-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-02-2017, 03:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

why yes, I have. here are the heads from a mid-90's Beretta engine. Not the best pic, but if I have to prove my point I will take a better one. Notice the intake valves. A very significant buildup and the combustion chambers have a bit of carbon buildup. These were 50,000 mile heads we bought to fix the car after it cracked a head after 200,000 miles. Ultimately we junked it.

Mid 90's technology, just like our cars. Still subject to buildup on the valves and combustion chambers due to cruddy gas, and or just plain impurities in the fuel.

I never said it was a miracle treatment, but it helps. I actually have a can in my fuel tank right now to help overcome a tankfuel of cruddy fuel I got. It came from a top tier provider, but every station owner can specify what additives he/she wants in their fuel. Around where I live, Speedway is one of the cheaper places to purchase fuel

Of course the valve springs and such got some rust from sitting, but down in the intake ports the deposits on the valves are easy to see

OK. Fair enough. All the times I have boroscoped an engine combustion chamber, I can't say I have every seem much even on my diesel Mercedes with 480K on the clock when we took the heads off at 55K and later 200K for the glow plugs getting stuck. Since then we pull the plugs annually. My other cars in the past have gotten the same look over when plugs come out. My experience has been that the buildup doesn't happen much unless the rings or the valve stem seals are leaking or something is FUBAR.

Not sure how Seafoam can overcome bad gas but there are plenty of testimonials about it. I generally dismiss products that rely on unscientific testimonials that have been weeded out to prove their point. IMO they are crafted to separate the fool from his money and rightly so.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:04 PM
drcook
Safety Car

and I will agree with you that there are snake oil products sold by Mr Haney, but for 10 bucks it will help clean out any deposits, but 1.00 a bottle injector cleaner will also help. Sea Foam can also be detrimental to an engine if poured into the oil and it dislodges so crud and the oil isn't immediately changed

you ought to see how bad the filters on my diesel get. I had an auxiliary one put on so I could run a 10 micron primary and a 2 to 4 micron secondary both with water traps to protect my $450.00 each injectors (dang diesels are expensive)

but we are getting the thread off topic.

I was just trying to throw in a little of what I had experienced based on living here

Something shaking in a can is a good way to describe what I'm hearing. It's a metallic rattle.
try some GOOD gas as others have said. in my truck it was the knock sensor failing that didn't let the engine time itself back that allowed the knock to creap in BUT I would try the good gas first.

Last edited by drcook; 08-02-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Bfenty (08-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Dumb question-what does knock sound like?