C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Security Shade Removal -- The Secret Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Default Security Shade Removal -- The Secret Revealed

I tried to get my security shade out and couldn't do it. Apparently I'm not the only one:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rgo-shade.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-removal.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oval-help.html

I recently attacked this again and finally figured it out. The key here is that it fits in these rectangular sockets on both sides of the car:

This rounded plug goes into the above socket. It's made so that it can't twist as the shade is pulled out.

The secret revealed: This picture shows where to pry to get it out. Some people have said you can push the rolled up shade to one side and it will release, but I could not get it to do that. The metal piece on the end of the shade is spring loaded and the spring holds it in the socket. I had removed the track the shade rides in but it goes behind the bracket and you don't need to do that.

This is the end piece. Interestingly, the "L" marking is not correct, and this end goes on the right side of the car. There is a corresponding "R" mark on the opposite end piece. One guy said his shade had lost its spring tension and would not retract. apparently you can stick the appropriate tool in the hole and wind up the spring. Of course nobody knows what that tool looks like, where to get one or how to use it... From what I could see, it appears that the spring is a wire spring and it fits in a notch in the end piece. I put a valve stem removal tool in the hole and got ahold of the spring with it. I didn't want to go farther because my shade is working fine and I didn't want to mess it up. It looks like there is a manufacturer's logo on the left, but I did not attempt to identify it or track it down.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:49 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome, pictures!!!...Thanks!

Yeah, it took me three tries before I could finally removed the shade!...
Old 10-20-2014, 02:08 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Cliff: Here's a thought regarding those who've apparently succeeded with removal w/o a tool....

Since that square peg is rounded, it seems likely you should be able to push -- and compress -- to one side, then lift/drop IN LINE WITH THAT CURVE to extricate the shade. The curve shape seems like it would aid with any addition compression needed to get the peg removed from the hole.

Hope that makes sense. I haven't tried it though.

Note: This description assumes the curve is mounted so the curve is vertically oriented.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 10-20-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Since that square peg is rounded, it seems likely you should be able to push -- and compress -- to one side, then lift/drop IN LINE WITH THAT CURVE to extricate the shade. The curve shape seems like it would aid with any addition compression needed to get the peg removed from the hole.
I thought about that after I posted this and I think you might be correct. The end piece needs to move vertically, though. I don't know if there's any room for that.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:16 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I thought about that after I posted this and I think you might be correct. The end piece needs to move vertically, though. I don't know if there's any room for that.
- on the write-up's and links. I've fought that security shade on-and-off for years, I don't know it it's an original idea, or not, but on my 90, a little trick that made installation a snap. on the (driver's side) security shade, I drilled a small hole on the forward edge of the end cap (i'm guessing 3/32") and installed a small loop of heavy string/light weight cord, and tied it off in a loop. the loop was long enough to grab on to with my hand to pull to compress the spring. basically, you insert the RH side security shade, pulled on the cord, compressed the spring, then pivot the driver's side into the body, end cap, receiver. release the tension on the spring, and "cut the cord" and pull it through. worked like a champ! hope this helps anyone fighting installation. wish I had some pics, but sorry, none.

Last edited by Joe C; 08-13-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: installation trick

Get notified of new replies

To Security Shade Removal -- The Secret Revealed

Quick Reply: Security Shade Removal -- The Secret Revealed