C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel pump problem again and again

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Gene D
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Back to checking load.

So, To check load of pump, Must remove oil pressure line.
THen Amp meter the 2 relay points?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

No...

If you are checking at the oil pressure switch, simply remove the electrical connector at the switch, and check current draw beteween pins "C" & "D" .

Or you could pull the fuel pump fuse and check current draw across the fuse terminals when the fuel pump is running.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Gene D
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would half of the load go thru relay.

Originally Posted by Purple92
No...

If you are checking at the oil pressure switch, simply remove the electrical connector at the switch, and check current draw beteween pins "C" & "D" .

Or you could pull the fuel pump fuse and check current draw across the fuse terminals when the fuel pump is running.
That seems like only half the load would be tested.
Does the fuse cover the relay supply and the oil switch supply?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Short answer - Yes - all fuel pump current flows thru the fuse.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:23 PM
GS737
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 C4 fuel pump

1990 Corvette L98 just turned 55,000 in 2018
2017 replaced sender( it would LIE) so put new fuel pump in,as precaution, also. Ordered KEMSO Fuel Systems,10912, Hi-Perf!. Pump said 340 LPH @ 43 psi ($29.95 total)(they compared with WALBRO 255). Says made in Japan, name registered to Chinese man., !?unk?! No markings on pump of country
They say direct OEM direct fit. NOT! splice wires and refit in sender
Did not check fuel pressure on install. It ran, I was happy! Developed running issues, rough idle low RPM surge.( NEW PUMP.! what could it be?) New fuel filter, new gas. vacuum tests, so on. (siphoned tank, CLEAN & CLEAR) FPR vacuum on or off, no change. (Total tune-up, wires , plugs, dist internals, etc, )
Fast Forward 2018 running issues worsened. Put pressure gauge. Tested repeatedly. Sitting and driving. 30-35 psi switch on, no start. Pressure would fall immediately.
30 or so psi running. Gauge needle bouncing around. .KEMSO argued about replacement, LIFETIME WARRANTY.
I sent a copy of his AD and asked him, what part of LIFETIME warranty was he having a problem with. He finally agreed to send replacement. It was in shop so I had them (ebay 90 Corvette fuel pump) Shop Replaced with Delphi FE0110, at my request, (No CARQUEST crap) runs great.( so far)
Tested KEMSO with direct connection. in-hand. NOISY, VIBRATES badly. Immediately loses prime on shut-down.
IMHO, do not waste your time with cheapo after market. I have 3, C4's. 90 vert, 96 CE vert, 96 GS coupe. Normal maintenance.
Roger
Old 12-09-2018, 09:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by GS737
1990 Corvette L98 just turned 55,000 in 2018
2017 replaced sender( it would LIE) so put new fuel pump in,as precaution, also. Ordered KEMSO Fuel Systems,10912, Hi-Perf!. Pump said 340 LPH @ 43 psi ($29.95 total)(they compared with WALBRO 255). Says made in Japan, name registered to Chinese man., !?unk?! No markings on pump of country
They say direct OEM direct fit. NOT! splice wires and refit in sender
Did not check fuel pressure on install. It ran, I was happy! Developed running issues, rough idle low RPM surge.( NEW PUMP.! what could it be?) New fuel filter, new gas. vacuum tests, so on. (siphoned tank, CLEAN & CLEAR) FPR vacuum on or off, no change. (Total tune-up, wires , plugs, dist internals, etc, )
Fast Forward 2018 running issues worsened. Put pressure gauge. Tested repeatedly. Sitting and driving. 30-35 psi switch on, no start. Pressure would fall immediately.
30 or so psi running. Gauge needle bouncing around. .KEMSO argued about replacement, LIFETIME WARRANTY.
I sent a copy of his AD and asked him, what part of LIFETIME warranty was he having a problem with. He finally agreed to send replacement. It was in shop so I had them (ebay 90 Corvette fuel pump) Shop Replaced with Delphi FE0110, at my request, (No CARQUEST crap) runs great.( so far)
Tested KEMSO with direct connection. in-hand. NOISY, VIBRATES badly. Immediately loses prime on shut-down.
IMHO, do not waste your time with cheapo after market. I have 3, C4's. 90 vert, 96 CE vert, 96 GS coupe. Normal maintenance.
Roger
You bought cheap, you got what you paid for. Sorry for being blunt but think of it this way. If your position is worth $20 an hour, why would you take $15 (for the most part)? Maybe you have been fired for bad work ethic, drug problem, etc, etc. Cheap and good is a fantasy.

Quick Reply: fuel pump problem again and again