C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Out of Balance Power Steering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 AM
GotSpeed?
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Balance Power Steering?

Hello Corvette Forum members!

I am new here as I am the recent new owner (this is my first year anyways) of an 84 C4 Corvette. I have looked around for people with similar problems to mine on all the forums I could possibly find but I have come across literally nothing for C4's. So, alass... I broke down and decided to ask the question myself to see if anyone has a clue. You all seemed like a knowledgeable bunch, so I hope I came to the right place.

Now... the symptoms are rather strange. Unlike most people who lose power steering in their C4 it seams... mine has done the exact opposite. My power steering has become way over active when turning only to the left. When I am turning to the right the power and feel are completely normal. When turning to the left, the wheel turns practically on its own with no assist from me. I have to actually hold it back from going all the way to left lock. Now before anyone says to check my alignment, just wait... it get weirder.

This not only happens when I am driving, but at all times... driving or stationary... doesn't matter. If I give the wheel a gentle flick to the left, it will continue all the way to lock under its own power very slowly. It is just strong enough to overcome the force from the stationary wheels.

Now, in my research, I came across people having problems similar to this with C3 Covette's as their PSCV was not adjusted correctly. I got excited thinking I had found the problem so I hurriedly went out to my car to adjust this part only to find that this is not the case in the C4. I do not appear to have any place to adjust the power steering... or at least not one that is obvious... and that is why I am here.

Is there a place I can adjust this? This car is actually my daily driver so this is a real problem I need to fix... right now every time I take a corner I have to fight the car to keep it going in the direction I want and I would prefer not to look like a drunk everywhere I go.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I think you're going to find your problem in the pinion valve assembly. Sounds like the valve is providing pressure to the left with no regulation. Probably torn/worn seal there.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:51 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have a standard rebuilt steering rack. $100 +shipping from 95370
PM if you're interested
Old 08-15-2017, 09:51 AM
GotSpeed?
Cruising

Huh... well judging by those replies I'm going to guess that that would end up being my only option? That's disappointing... the original owner had just had this thing rebuilt before I bought it. Oh well, I knew there would be problems so I kind of expected something to go wrong. I have a repair manual on order (as no one around me carries them) so while I wait for it to arrive... how big and bad of a job is replacing the rack? It looks pretty darn tight in there.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 AM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Takes about 3hrs first time
find out which ratio you have
either from service part code on glove box door or code on rack
call Turn One and talk to them about rebuilding your rack
I've done to tierods and seals but your problem with the spool valve needs an expert imo.
JS
The following users liked this post:
steering_experts1 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 AM
0steering_experts1
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GotSpeed?
Hello Corvette Forum members!

I am new here as I am the recent new owner (this is my first year anyways) of an 84 C4 Corvette. I have looked around for people with similar problems to mine on all the forums I could possibly find but I have come across literally nothing for C4's. So, alass... I broke down and decided to ask the question myself to see if anyone has a clue. You all seemed like a knowledgeable bunch, so I hope I came to the right place.

Now... the symptoms are rather strange. Unlike most people who lose power steering in their C4 it seams... mine has done the exact opposite. My power steering has become way over active when turning only to the left. When I am turning to the right the power and feel are completely normal. When turning to the left, the wheel turns practically on its own with no assist from me. I have to actually hold it back from going all the way to left lock. Now before anyone says to check my alignment, just wait... it get weirder.

This not only happens when I am driving, but at all times... driving or stationary... doesn't matter. If I give the wheel a gentle flick to the left, it will continue all the way to lock under its own power very slowly. It is just strong enough to overcome the force from the stationary wheels.

Now, in my research, I came across people having problems similar to this with C3 Covette's as their PSCV was not adjusted correctly. I got excited thinking I had found the problem so I hurriedly went out to my car to adjust this part only to find that this is not the case in the C4. I do not appear to have any place to adjust the power steering... or at least not one that is obvious... and that is why I am here.

Is there a place I can adjust this? This car is actually my daily driver so this is a real problem I need to fix... right now every time I take a corner I have to fight the car to keep it going in the direction I want and I would prefer not to look like a drunk everywhere I go.
Based on your description, it sounds like you have a problem with the valve itself. Self steering is an indication of the t-bar being cracked or broken, the valve body cracked, or the valve body drive pin being broken or loose. We can diagnose and repair your rack. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
Junior
GotSpeed? (08-21-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Due to poor results of dealer O/H or resealing racks; parts and tools became discontinued by the late 80s. Recalls were an exception, however failed attempted repairs would lead to rack replacement with reman unit.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:31 AM
GotSpeed?
Cruising

Well, current procession of events is that I plan on buying the rack from JrRifleCoach and swapping that into my car. That will fix this problem I am having now. Then, once the swap is complete and the car is good to go again, I will probably have the original rack sent out to be rebuilt so that I can have a second one around as a backup. It seems like these racks are a common source of problems so having a backup doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

@steering_experts1 : If I were to send you my rack (all prices and whatnot aside) would it matter if the rack has been rebuilt before? Would that effect whether it was able to be rebuilt again? I know it would depend on "what part" of the rack was rebuilt before (I am assuming for the normal seal failure that these things seem to be plagued with) and "what part" it is being rebuilt for now... if it would even make any difference anyways. All I know is that the original owner said that it had just been rebuilt (the rack that is) several months before I bought it... I then bought it and proceeded to drive it for almost a year before this happened. I have no reason to doubt that it was rebuilt either as the paint on the outside of it looks way to fresh to be original compared with everything else in the engine bay, plus it doesn't leak any fluid (externally anyways since we are suspecting some sort of internal leak is causing the problem) which also backs up that claim.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:43 AM
0steering_experts1
Former Vendor

Well, current procession of events is that I plan on buying the rack from JrRifleCoach and swapping that into my car. That will fix this problem I am having now. Then, once the swap is complete and the car is good to go again, I will probably have the original rack sent out to be rebuilt so that I can have a second one around as a backup. It seems like these racks are a common source of problems so having a backup doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

@steering_experts1 : If I were to send you my rack (all prices and whatnot aside) would it matter if the rack has been rebuilt before? Would that effect whether it was able to be rebuilt again? I know it would depend on "what part" of the rack was rebuilt before (I am assuming for the normal seal failure that these things seem to be plagued with) and "what part" it is being rebuilt for now... if it would even make any difference anyways. All I know is that the original owner said that it had just been rebuilt (the rack that is) several months before I bought it... I then bought it and proceeded to drive it for almost a year before this happened. I have no reason to doubt that it was rebuilt either as the paint on the outside of it looks way to fresh to be original compared with everything else in the engine bay, plus it doesn't leak any fluid (externally anyways since we are suspecting some sort of internal leak is causing the problem) which also backs up that claim.
Hello,

We can still rebuild the rack even if it has been rebuilt before!

Thank you,
Bry
GotSpeed? (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 07:22 PM
vettespecial
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I just restored my 90 L98 coup i removed my rack and pump and sent them to Turn one in mich, look them up and ask for JR. They did a great job on mine and did a mod on my pump
Old 08-22-2017, 05:35 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

What Kind of mod do they do on the pump?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 AM
0steering_experts1
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
What Kind of mod do they do on the pump?
We can upgrade the pump to reduce horsepower consumption, reduce fluid temperature, and we also increase the pressure of the pump to handle higher wheel loads that high performance driving produces (autocross, road racing, etc.).

Thanks,
Junior

Get notified of new replies

To Out of Balance Power Steering?

Quick Reply: Out of Balance Power Steering?