C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can't find after market Secondary Fan Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 PM
koritz123
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't find after market Secondary Fan Switch

Note:
I should have used the word auxillary not secondary fan or 2nd fan. The auxillary fan is located in front of the condenser and is an aftermarket fan set-up with a switch somewhere in the cabin which I can't find according to the seller.

It looks like from the few responses and lack of responses that the only way to find the switch is to trace it back from the auxiliary fan to the firewall to underneath the dash.

Now continue with original post:
Purchased a 91 Coupe. Owner lived in Colorado and never used the secondary fan someone previously installed. Car runs too close to max mark on temp gaug1e after about 20 minutes in St. Louis(it's hot here!)
I turn on the air then and everything normalizes.

He just told me he thought the switch was under the dash somewhere but he wasn't sure. I can't find the switch in the cabin even though the 2nd fan is actually installed. He said it has the second fan sensor in the left head to kind of turn the fans on before the computer calls for it. The secondary fan is installed in front of the condensor. In theory when it starts to get hot just flip the switch to add airflow.

As dumb of a question it is where are the most likely places an after market fan switch would be installed?

I know I could try tracing the wires from the fan back to the firewall but even that doesn't say here is where the switch is.

There must be some common places these type switches go and what they look like.

If this question is too much you can call me dumbo, but just don't call me late to dinner...

Last edited by koritz123; 08-16-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by koritz123
Purchased a 91 Coupe. Owner lived in Colorado and never used the secondary fan someone previously installed.
'91 would have a "pair" of fans stock! The second fan isn't an ADD!

I believe you need to confirm very likely that you know how the "pair" operates, if they are ..........................

Maybe you start with checking and confirming ECT/CTS sender for the ECM. Does the car have C68 (AUTO AC)?

'91 fan 1 should turn on @ 226° or AC request, 2d fan @ 235° and specific speeds or with AC request.

Did you happen to get an FSM with the purchase?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-16-2017 at 04:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
koritz123 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 PM
koritz123
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
'91 would have a "pair" of fans stock! The second fan isn't an ADD!

I believe you need to confirm very likely that you know how the "pair" operates, if they are ..........................

Maybe you start with checking and confirming ECT/CTS sender for the ECM. Does the car have C68 (AUTO AC)?

'91 fan 1 should turn on @ 226° or AC request, 2d fan @ 235° and specific speeds or with AC request.

Did you happen to get an SM with the purchase?
First, don't know what an SM is.
Second, it has AUTO AC Climate control of course but I don't know what C68 (AUTO AC) is.
I can look these items up to find out what they are.

(I should have used the word auxillary not secondary.)
He says look at the front of the condenser and there is an auxillary
fan installed it's an aftermarket set-up.

Respectfully, if he says it has an aftermarket auxillary fan in front of the condenser then he should know. He is a dealership mechanic of many years and has taken the drivetrain out of this car and apart and put it back together with new seals and gaskets and valve parts.

Last edited by koritz123; 08-15-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:58 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Second, it has AUTO AC Climate control of course but I don't know what C68 (AUTO AC) is.
I can look these items up to find out what they are.

Respectfully, if he says it has an aftermarket auxillary fan in front of the condenser then he should know. He is a dealership mechanic of many years and has taken the drivetrain out of this car and apart and put it back together with new seals and gaskets and valve parts.
Sounds like a really smart dude! He should know then where the switch is!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Corrected SM to FSM (Factory Service Manual)

Respectfully, if he says it has an aftermarket auxillary fan in front of the condenser then he should know.
You've had "eyes on"? Have you looked for the switch/sensor that's said to be in the LH cylinder head? It would be between cylinder #1 and #3. I'd think an easy visual.

Since you have the AUTO AC I'd suggest looking into how to use the AC control to actually check the engine coolant temperature that the ECM sees from the ECT/CTS and compare that to what you're seeing on the "analog" cluster gauge. They're known to be very erratic and not to be relied upon for factual coolant temps.

I see an old post where you mention buying the FSM from a dealer - did you ever get it? If you did check 1C1-3 thru 1C1-5 for instructions for use of AC control to check various parameters of your engine.

For now I'd be concerned with the FACTORY FAN OPERATION and the "factual" engine coolant temps.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-16-2017 at 05:26 AM.
koritz123 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

any normal thinking person would put the switch within reach or the driver. my fan override is just above my right knee. PO labeled switch, and it has a yellow bulb to let you know the fan is "on". However,does not seem to do any good as far as reducing temps. having new radiator and 2 temp senders installed today, i hope for the best.
koritz123 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:38 PM
koritz123
Racer

You've had "eyes on"? Have you looked for the switch/sensor that's said to be in the LH cylinder head? It would be between cylinder #1 and #3. I'd think an easy visual.

Since you have the AUTO AC I'd suggest looking into how to use the AC control to actually check the engine coolant temperature that the ECM sees from the ECT/CTS and compare that to what you're seeing on the "analog" cluster gauge. They're known to be very erratic and not to be relied upon for factual coolant temps.

I see an old post where you mention buying the FSM from a dealer - did you ever get it? If you did check 1C1-3 thru 1C1-5 for instructions for use of AC control to check various parameters of your engine.

For now I'd be concerned with the FACTORY FAN OPERATION and the "factual" engine coolant temps.

Yes I have the FSM.
Here are pictures from today's look at the left and right sides of the engine its high-definition so you should be able to see any kind of wiring from the fan going into the engine. As far as eyes on I'm not sure where to look for the condenser I got under the car and all I see is this trash screen guard and I can't see anything behind it except what it looks like fins from a condenser but I can't see very well through the screen guard if I'm supposed to look someplace else for the condenser I'm not sure where to look.

Last edited by koritz123; 08-16-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:00 PM
koritz123
Racer

Again I am not a technical person but does this mean that factual engine temperatures will be described in the factory service manual as opposed to the analog gauge on the dashboard and the gauge is very hard to read the only thing I can tell is when it gets close to the high-end I try to keep it in the middle by the use of the turning the auto air conditioner button on.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,275 Likes on 861 Posts

The 90-96 cars do not need a helper fan in front of the radiator stack assembly. It is just in needed junk.

If you had turned your service manual to the page suggested by WV, you would see that you are able to get an accurate "digital" temp read out. The one in the gauge cluster is not linear, and should only be used as a rough guide.

Last edited by ChumpVette; 08-16-2017 at 07:32 PM.
koritz123 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 PM
koritz123
Racer

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
The 90-96 cars do not need a helper fan in front of the radiator stack assembly. It is just in needed junk.

If you had turned your service manual to the page suggested by WV, you would see that you are able to get an accurate "digital" temp read out. The one in the gauge cluster is not linear, and should only be used as a rough guide.

According to the member above the 91 doesn't have any digital readout at all for engine temperature.

I have the mechanic who fixed the cruise control and the switches on the clutch and brake pedals for the cruise control and the power seats and the play in the steering column look under the dashboard and he can't find anything. Again there's no eyes on yet for this fan that is supposedly there. I've no idea why the guy would make it up though but we can't find any thing as far as the condenser goes cuz I can't see through the trash grill.It's on the front of the condenser under the car.

Maybe the answer is to get a add-on temperature gauge if there's somewhere to put a sensor on the engine block, already he has an add-on oil temperature gauge and I wonder if I could use that and just disconnect it from the sensor on the engine and then put it on another sensor for engine temperature.

Last edited by koritz123; 08-16-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

According to the member above the 91 doesn't have any digital readout at all for engine temperature.
He is wrong.

Open your book to the page that WVZR-1 mentioned. The Service Manual is your best friend.

As long as you have electric climate control (C68) option, you can get the digital readout. Hold the fan speed up & down buttons down for 5-10 seconds. It will then come up with 00 scroll through until you reach 16 and press the auto fan speed button. You will get the temp in Centigrade.

If you have manual AC (C60) you will be needing a scan tool to show the coolant temp.
koritz123 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Inside the center console & the glove box are favorites to hide a switch maybe look there.

Have work clothes & a flash light? Your going to need them owning a C4, should have been a factory option with an RPO#.
koritz123 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:05 PM
koritz123
Racer

He is wrong.

Open your book to the page that WVZR-1 mentioned. The Service Manual is your best friend.

As long as you have electric climate control (C68) option, you can get the digital readout. Hold the fan speed up & down buttons down for 5-10 seconds. It will then come up with 00 scroll through until you reach 16 and press the auto fan speed button. You will get the temp in Centigrade.

If you have manual AC (C60) you will be needing a scan tool to show the coolant temp.
The Codes inside the center console say C68. I'll try setting it to centigrade after work.
So coolant temperature is the best way to check engine temperature?

Last edited by koritz123; 08-17-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 PM
koritz123
Racer

He is wrong.

Yes I have the C68.

I held the fan buttons down until the display showed - 00 and cycled up to - 16 then hit the Auto Button. The display then said 86 outside temp. So is this the Celsius reading and I convert to fahrenheit which is
186.8?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:35 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Yes I have the C68.

I held the fan buttons down until the display showed - 00 and cycled up to - 16 then hit the Auto Button. The display then said 86 outside temp. So is this the Celsius reading and I convert to fahrenheit which is
186.8?
I don't believe it said "outside temp" I'm accustomed to seeing only the CELSIUS TEMP and I believe that's all your '91 will display. Your conversion looks correct. It seems that you've mastered that.

You might compare that number to the cluster gauge and determine how accurate your own gauge could be.

Monitor that TEMP intermittently until you're comfortable with coolant temps and maybe check the fans behind the radiator for operation. Using Celsius I'd expect fan operation for left @ 108° +/- or when AC on, right fan 113° +/-.

Regarding the PO and the aux fan switch if he did you could likely reach and feel the switch he added. This image is from an earlier L98 which would have that switch, using this as a guide you could search/feel.

Name:  Coolant Fan Switch.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  62.4 KB

There's a section of the FSM I'd suggest you spend some time with. That section is 8A-201-0 and beyond. That can be very useful in finding your way around your car.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-17-2017 at 09:00 PM.
koritz123 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 PM
koritz123
Racer

I don't believe it said "outside temp" I'm accustomed to seeing only the CELSIUS TEMP and I believe that's all your '91 will display. Your conversion looks correct. It seems that you've mastered that.

You might compare that number to the cluster gauge and determine how accurate your own gauge could be.

Monitor that TEMP intermittently until you're comfortable with coolant temps and maybe check the fans behind the radiator for operation. Using Celsius I'd expect fan operation for left @ 108° +/- or when AC on, right fan 113° +/-.

Regarding the PO and the aux fan switch if he did you could likely reach and feel the switch he added. This image is from an earlier L98 which would have that switch, using this as a guide you could search/feel.

Attachment 48197464

There's a section of the FSM I'd suggest you spend some time with. That section is 8A-201-0 and beyond. That can be very useful in finding your way around your car.

Here are pics from the process. Mine say outside for some reason after I hit the AUTO button.

You have some helpful suggestions! I'll check for the switch on the engine tomorrow. This should all help give me some kind of feel for what temperature the engine is really running at.

Last edited by koritz123; 08-17-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:33 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Nope, you made a mistake.

After cycling to -16, press the center fan speed button of auto. It will then give you a 2 digit number, or 3 digit if it is really hot.
koritz123 (08-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Can't find after market Secondary Fan Switch

Old 08-18-2017, 08:46 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Infrared temp guns are real short $$ anymore mine cost north of 2 bills a long time ago.

Handy for checking thermostat opening temp, running temp, AC vent temp, tire & rotor temp for track cars.

Amazon Amazon
koritz123 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:13 PM
koritz123
Racer

Nope, you made a mistake.

After cycling to -16, press the center fan speed button of auto. It will then give you a 2 digit number, or 3 digit if it is really hot.

Thanks, I'll try the other button after work.

Okay, it's after work now and I hit the button with the fan blade on it and it read
35 which would be 95 Fahrenheit. Man my car runs cool! And that's after a 1 minute warm-up.

Later after 25 minutes it's 102c or 215f

Last edited by koritz123; 08-18-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:14 PM
koritz123
Racer

Originally Posted by arbee
Sounds like a really smart dude! He should know then where the switch is!
It's looking more and more like there is no switch.

Quick Reply: Can't find after market Secondary Fan Switch