C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 L83 1984 Corvette won't roll over??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Lucas_Cronan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 L83 1984 Corvette won't roll over??

Hello, I'm 18 and have just bought my first Corvette. However whenever it gets hot it won't even turn over, however once it cools down enough it starts right up and runs perfect. Any suggestions of what to check??
Old 08-19-2017, 02:26 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucas_Cronan
Hello, I'm 18 and have just bought my first Corvette. However whenever it gets hot it won't even turn over, however once it cools down enough it starts right up and runs perfect. Any suggestions of what to check??
Just to Clarify when Hot it will not Crank/Starter will not move or Will move and car will not Start.

The difference is in One side it's a Starter or Charging/Electrical System Problem' the other way it's an Ignition or Fuel problem.

Last edited by s carter; 08-19-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Lucas_Cronan
Cruising

The car will not crank the starter. However it's not all the time I had it in the shop to try and let them fix this issue and they changed a wiring harness going to the distributor and it now it only dose it occasionally.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:58 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

The car will not crank the starter. However it's not all the time I had it in the shop to try and let them fix this issue and they changed a wiring harness going to the distributor and it now it only dose it occasionally.
OK Since the Starter is not moving, Disconnect the Battery clean up the Battery terminals. with the Battery disconnected Get under car remove the Battery cable make sure it is clean and Tight, Also inspect the small wire that makes the Starter moves when you want to Start Car if these things are good odd's are you need a starter.

One easy test (not foolproof)for a bad starter, when the problem occurs reach under car and give the Starter a Lite to Medium Smack with a Hammer if it starts. You need a Starter.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:09 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
reach under car and give the Starter a Lite to Medium Smack with a Hammer
I just love the simple, old school way to diagnose a problem.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:12 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

a bad starter !
Old 08-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Lucas_Cronan
Cruising

One easy test (not foolproof)for a bad starter, when the problem occurs reach under car and give the Starter a Lite to Medium Smack with a Hammer if it starts. You need a Starter.
I haven't tried this yet, however I think the guy I brought it to looked at them not sure if he checked it well though. Also the solenoid is not even engaging...?
Old 08-19-2017, 03:34 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

I haven't tried this yet, however I think the guy I brought it to looked at them not sure if he checked it well though. Also the solenoid is not even engaging...?
OK safely Connect a Test light to the Starter Crank Request on the Solenoid (clip end on starter) and ground the Tip of the light, or wire a 12 volt lite (old dash or Marker Bulb with Socket. The Idea is when it occur's you try to start if the Starter is getting the Request (lite goes on while trying to start) and it is not Cranking it is something in the Starter or Solenoid

Last edited by s carter; 08-19-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:50 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

OK safely Connect a Test light to the Starter Crank Request on the Solenoid (clip end on starter) and ground the Tip of the light, or wire a 12 volt lite (old dash or Marker Bulb with Socket. The Idea is when it occur's you try to start if the Starter is getting the Request (lite goes on while trying to start) and it is not Cranking it is something in the Starter or Solenoid
Old 08-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

OK safely Connect a Test light to the Starter Crank Request on the Solenoid (clip end on starter) and ground the Tip of the light,
This may not be a good test. The light may not prove there's enough power to actuate the solenoid. How bright should the light be??? A voltage test on that connection would be a better test.

Do you hear the solenoid "click" when you try start the car, but the starter doesn't spin? It's probably time for a new/rebuilt starter.

If the car has headers, a heat shield on your starter may be helpful.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I just love the simple, old school way to diagnose a problem.
same with tv's 40 yrs ago
Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Lucas_Cronan
Cruising

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
This may not be a good test. The light may not prove there's enough power to actuate the solenoid. How bright should the light be??? A voltage test on that connection would be a better test.

Do you hear the solenoid "click" when you try start the car, but the starter doesn't spin? It's probably time for a new/rebuilt starter.

If the car has headers, a heat shield on your starter may be helpful.

I don't hear the solenoid click however when I watch the built in voltage meter on the car I see voltage drop when I turn the key to the start position but no noise of the starter or solenoid.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

I don't hear the solenoid click however when I watch the built in voltage meter on the car I see voltage drop when I turn the key to the start position but no noise of the starter or solenoid.
You've got to get your battery connections, starter connections, and grounds clean.
No improvement, replace starter
Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

when I watch the built in voltage meter on the car I see voltage drop when I turn the key to the start position.
You need to check the battery voltage with an accurate volt meter while you're trying to crank the engine. It may be time for a new battery. Do this before you replace the starter. You should be able to find an auto parts store that can test your battery for you . . . at no cost.

Be sure you understand the problem before you throw parts (and money) at it!

Is there a date code on your battery?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Lucas_Cronan
Cruising

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Is there a date code on your battery?

The battery is basically new (the date is June 15th this year) but it dose only have 460 cold cranking amps when the minimum is supposed to be 525. However I've had the battery tested and they said it was okay. I'll check it with a good multimeter tonight when I get home and get all the terminal connections clean. And see if that all helps. If not I have another Corvette (also an 84 same everything but no engine and trans as a parts car) I'll try switching the starter out to see if it fixes it and if so I may buy a new one they aren't that expensive. Thank you guys for the help!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:08 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

On your battery, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. Especially since I live in an area that gets 'cold' several months a year, when I buy a battery I get the one with the highest CCA rating I can find in the battery model required for the vehicle. In the case of my 86, IIRC it's around 700 CCA. It doesn't take much of a battery drain to take a under 500 CCA battery below the threshold required to start your car IMO. Besides that it's not that much more $$ for that extra battery reserve.

As far as your starter goes, if you have a 'competent' shop in your area that rebuilds starters, they should be able to determine the condition of your starter and if it requires any repairs or not.

Good luck, hope it's an easy fix.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 L83 1984 Corvette won't roll over??

Quick Reply: C4 L83 1984 Corvette won't roll over??