C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Started the tear down to replace opti

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Looks like you are doing a great job!
Thanks Michael!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:28 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

[QUOTE=Drifter36;1595425953]
Originally Posted by Drifter36

I did some brief forensics on the old opti. It was a GM opti that had the Mitsubishi optics. The internals that I saw were slightly corroded and oil had gotten inside from a leak around the casing. I couldn't fully disassemble it so not sure what the optics looks like. The rotor and contacts were only slightly corroded. Overall, it didn't look too bad. I wish I could rebuild this to keep as a spare.
I would suggest you at least hang onto the Mitsubishi sensor. It may be roached, but the fault also could have simply been corrosion closing up the slots in the wheel, and/or contaminants (oil film, etc) on the optics of the sensor. Unfortunately, most likely the only way you could truly test it would be to run it again after cleaning everything up and installing it into a good distributor, and taking your chances that it'd be okay. Not a bet I'd care to make, given the difficulty of accessing the unit. But, with the apparent lack of reliable off-brand sensors, that Mitsu might still hold some value.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

[QUOTE=SJW;1595426991]
Originally Posted by Drifter36
could have simply been contaminants (oil film, etc) on the optics of the sensor.

Unfortunately, most likely the only way you could truly test it would be to run it again after cleaning everything up and installing it into a good distributor,
I bet the lenses got dirty.

You could clean it and test it this way: run kleenex w/brake cleaner on it, through the sensor a few times until the kleenex come through clean...then repeat w/windex.

To test, Unplug your opti harness from your new opti, plug into your old/cleaned one with the old opti just laying on top of the motor, or where ever is convenient (not installed). Un plug your injector harness(s), then your fuel pump relay. This will disable things you don't need "running".

Now, take your old opti drive pin, and chuck it up in a drill, insert into opti, turn ignition ON, and start the drill. Set the drill to run by itself and leave it for a while; 10 minutes? 20 minutes?

With the key ON, drill spinning the opti, and the opti plugged into the opti harness...the ECM totally "thinks" that the engine is running. If the sensor/opti is going to have issues, it will throw another H16 or something. You can also monitor your tach while the drill is running; should read a steady RPM (what ever RPM the drill is spinning, x2).

Easy, quick, pretty conclusive.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:34 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I just picked up an AIP unit from Sac City last week. My current Opti is still working at 126k and has a new cap and rotor. I bought the new unit as more of a scarecrow and to have one on-hand, due to mileage.

The unit does appear well-built. I was going to do a forensic on it and see if the rotor had metal or plastic rivets. According to Sac City, the manufacturer says the seal is fine and seals well (no RTV needed) and the rotor screws are red lock-tited from the factory. I'll be curious to see..........
Old 08-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Job Complete!

First let me say thanks to everyone who offered such great comments and ideas, during this repair. Everything is back together and it is running very well. No codes were generated.
I am still waiting on some spark plug wire retainers and that will put the finishing touches on the job. I ran a drain tube from the water pump bearing weep hole.
Here's the final product.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:33 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Congrats. Don't cook or damage those brand new plug wires before you get those new retainers installed!

Time for a cold one. You earned it.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Overall, it didn't look too bad. I wish I could rebuild this to keep as a spare.
I know of a person that rebuilds and tests them. Contact this person

https://www.ebay.com/sch/berrington1...p2047675.l2562

in an email he mentioned about doing a cleaning and rebuilding service if needed
Old 08-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Mrmcchumba
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the posts and info. guys. I just bought a 1992 LS1. It only has 28kmi on it and it looks very clean. I was able to start to get familiar with this whole "Opti" issue. I don't see any leaks around mine, but at age 25, I suppose an issue could pop up anytime. The coolant temp does creep up a little if it's at a standstill on a hot day with the A/C running. I'm going to replace the radiator and I now know of all the other things I should do while I'm in the there! Thanks.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:08 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mrmcchumba
Thanks for all the posts and info. guys. I just bought a 1992 LS1. It only has 28kmi on it and it looks very clean. I was able to start to get familiar with this whole "Opti" issue. I don't see any leaks around mine, but at age 25, I suppose an issue could pop up anytime. The coolant temp does creep up a little if it's at a standstill on a hot day with the A/C running. I'm going to replace the radiator and I now know of all the other things I should do while I'm in the there! Thanks.
There's a reasonable chance that your car still has the original distributor in it, given the low mileage on the odometer. If that's the case, you might be better off leaving it alone. There's a pile of anecdotal evidence that suggests that the Mitsubishi sensors that were used in the OEM units and are no longer manufactured, are more durable than the off-brand sensors that are currently available. If it were my car, I'd run it until the distributor dies, then hope I could find a good replacement.

Regarding engine cooling, one of the design weaknesses of these cars is that they are bottom-feeders, and will suck an astonishing assortment of garbage into the cooling stack, thus blocking the airflow. Consider adding a debris screen to cut down on the amount of stuff that will build up in there, after you've cleaned out whatever's in there now:

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Max Dever Pierce
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just done my 93' it seemed to be caused by the waterpump drive hitting the opti I think it was $44 from Summit, Took 4 hours I have 1 arm, try that!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Max Dever Pierce
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Dever Pierce
I just done my 93' it seemed to be caused by the waterpump drive hitting the opti I think it was $44 from Summit, Took 4 hours I have 1 arm, try that!
This is the other side
Old 08-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Mrmcchumba
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started the tear down to replace Opti...

Originally Posted by SJW
There's a reasonable chance that your car still has the original distributor in it, given the low mileage on the odometer. If that's the case, you might be better off leaving it alone. There's a pile of anecdotal evidence that suggests that the Mitsubishi sensors that were used in the OEM units and are no longer manufactured, are more durable than the off-brand sensors that are currently available. If it were my car, I'd run it until the distributor dies, then hope I could find a good replacement.

Regarding engine cooling, one of the design weaknesses of these cars is that they are bottom-feeders, and will suck an astonishing assortment of garbage into the cooling stack, thus blocking the airflow. Consider adding a debris screen to cut down on the amount of stuff that will build up in there, after you've cleaned out whatever's in there now:

Live well,

SJW
SJU - Thanks, I'll look for contaminants. Maybe I'll just do the cap, rotor, and plugs/wires while I'm in doing the radiator. Not sure what to do about the water pump. I really only want to have to tear into the front of this thing once! Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Started the tear down to replace opti