C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake travel on 1996 C4 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Jway
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake travel on 1996 C4 LT1

I got this Corvette in Dec. 2015. At that time there seemed to be a problem with the brakes as the pedal went almost all the way to the floor before the brakes engaged. A new master cylinder and brake fluid change was done at that time. No change in pedal travel. Flash forward. This year an new vacuum booster was installed and still no change. I replaced the the master cylinder after bench bleeding it and bled the entire hydraulic system. I could not believe the amount of air that was in the rear brake lines. The last think that was done was replace the brake pads.
with the engine off and brake booster relieved the pedal is hard and moves 2.75 inches per the manual. as soon as the engine is started pedal goes almost to the floor, though not quit as far because of the new pads. Is this normal or am I missing something. BTW: the first MC and vacuum booster was replaced by the Chevy dealer.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:09 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Jway
Is this normal
No it is NOT normal at all.

The brake pedal in my '96 operates that same as all my other cars I have ever had.

If a brake pedal is going almost to the floor, something isn't right.
1. Air in the system.
2. Bad master cylinder (allowing fluid to bypass piston)
3. A fluid leak somewhere (preventing a firm pedal feel)
Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Scooby92
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 92 is the same way. New master cylinder, booster, pads, rotors turned. Lots of bleeding, flushing lines and brake pedal still has to travel far. But it does stop well now.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Jway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
No it is NOT normal at all.

The brake pedal in my '96 operates that same as all my other cars I have ever had.

If a brake pedal is going almost to the floor, something isn't right.
1. Air in the system.
2. Bad master cylinder (allowing fluid to bypass piston)
3. A fluid leak somewhere (preventing a firm pedal feel)
I replaced the master cylinder for the same reason you mentioned. There is no evidence of fluid leakage and I bled each line as I replaced the brake pads. I drove the car today and if there was air in the brake lines they should have pumped up and they don't. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with the vacuum booster.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Jway
Intermediate

Short update: A few days ago I talked with a neighbor that is a retired Chevy Mechanic. Afte explaining my problem he told me it probably an air bubble in the brake pressure modulating valve. He said that bleeding the system manually was almost impossible. Pressure bleeding was the best way to get the air bubble out of the valve. He also told me that the Corvette was the only car that had this problem.

We have been getting rain here so I have not tried to get to the local Chevy dealer to get the system pressure bled.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake travel on 1996 C4 LT1

Quick Reply: Brake travel on 1996 C4 LT1