C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My 85 Z51 is all over the road between hard shifts. Bushings?

Old 09-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Default My 85 Z51 is all over the road between hard shifts. Bushings?

When I shift gears aggressively , the whole car shifts sideways a bit. feels loose and sloppy. I don't know the first thing about which bushings effect what, or which I need to change. What kit should I purchase and what should I expect to pay in Labor. I am not a DIY person.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:23 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

After I changed all of my bad bushings in the rear I still felt a little jump to the side when going over a bump. I searched for months and it was the lower shock bolt stem which was slightly loose, wow what a rattle. The strut bushings need to be taken apart to see them, but the camber Bushings, trailing arm bushings and rear sway bar ends are all culprits. Now I have a very tight rear suspension and I did not do the batwing bushings yet.
Good luck
The following users liked this post:
BV85 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:38 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Check your alignment too mic the rear thrust angle is odd, your car will jump sideways on acceleration.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:17 AM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Drive it again today. It's not just aggressive shifting , but normal shifting. It's almost too dangerous to drive. What bushing kits should I be buying to tighten this car up?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MFn Z
Drive it again today. It's not just aggressive shifting , but normal shifting. It's almost too dangerous to drive. What bushing kits should I be buying to tighten this car up?
It is hard to say when I bought mine I took the wheel off and had no sway bar bushings at all. So I changed them. Have to have a look in there . The only ones you cannot see at all are the strut rod bushings. They are behind the bolts. Replace as needed I dont think a kit is much of a savings. I used the red poly and the grease no squeaks yet.
Here are a few pics from my 85

You have to start wiggling so you know what to replace 1st.

Last edited by xrav22; 09-29-2017 at 01:32 AM. Reason: pics added
Old 09-29-2017, 04:27 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MFn Z
When I shift gears aggressively , the whole car shifts sideways a bit. feels loose and sloppy. I don't know the first thing about which bushings effect what, or which I need to change. What kit should I purchase and what should I expect to pay in Labor. I am not a DIY person.
Hi

The bushes can only be checked when removed from the car,
its not as easy as you would expect.
Perhaps get a 4 wheel alignment done before spending a weekend replacing all the cars bushes.

My tips are cut the outer rubber away, use a drill and drill holes through the rubber for easier removal with a vice and sockets.

I did notice the suspension seems 30% stiffer and more "bouncy"after replacing all the bushes, they don't make rubber ones anymore
that is the down side. the prothane bushes are a tight fit that resist suspension movement .... even with the special lube.
I am eyeing some Banski trailing arms with spherical rod ends that do not restrict suspension movement, cant stand the bouncy feel.
See link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-Corvette-...19.m1438.l2649

I already have the banski rear spindle / camber rods for precise camber adjustment that doesn't move over rough roads.

The movement you are experiencing is most likely the spindle rods /camber rods, they were shot on my c4 with 170,000 miles.
The trailing arm bushes were ok but had a few cracks, i regret having replaced the rubber bushings with prothane ones because of the harsh ride afterwards....

Old 09-29-2017, 05:53 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 522 Likes on 473 Posts

Add another vote for the Banski Suspension package for enhanced handling requirements on a C4. I've put them on my 86 last year and it's made a world of difference in how my car handles on those windy country roads.

Put them on, get a 4 wheel alignment and you'll be amazed on the difference in handling.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To My 85 Z51 is all over the road between hard shifts. Bushings?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 85 Z51 is all over the road between hard shifts. Bushings?