C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

early c4 headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM
dms0309
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default early c4 headlight motor

Hi,
Has anyone had a problem with finding the replacement gear for the early C4, the gear thats offered on the online stores does not fit my motor.
Could this possibly be a different motor that was replaced by the previous owner.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:47 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by dms0309
Hi,
Has anyone had a problem with finding the replacement gear for the early C4, the gear thats offered on the online stores does not fit my motor.
Could this possibly be a different motor that was replaced by the previous owner.
Thanks for your help.
Do you have a Pre88 with the "T" shaft here is a listing that I will help Solve your problem
https://corvetteparts.com/catalog?q=headlight+motor
Old 05-16-2017, 06:57 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Hi,
Thanks for your help.
Mention the Vendor and the part# of what you've purchased. What year is the car? EARLY doesn't necessarily work -

Post a snapshot of your actual motor

Is there any information on the motor that you have now?

Here's an early '84 - '87 RH that you can ZOOM etc to ID from appearance if it's like yours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1987-Co...5XhTBb&vxp=mtr

At some point GM quit servicing the early motors and offered a package that would have been a pair of later motors, the control and required wiring. It's not as unusual as some would expect to find this newer "conversion"!!

If early motors I believe you'd find 16500363 on LH AND 16500364 ON RH.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 PM
dms0309
Advanced

Default C4 headlight motor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Mention the Vendor and the part# of what you've purchased. What year is the car? EARLY doesn't necessarily work -

Here's an early '84 - '87 RH that you can ZOOM etc to ID from appearance if it's like yours.

At some point GM quit servicing the early motors and offered a package that would have been a pair of later motors, the control and required wiring. It's not as unusual as some would expect to find this newer "conversion"!!

Thanks WVZR-1. It's an 85 and I purchased the gear set from Midwest Corvette thru Amazon, I don't have the car with me right now it's getting the seats recovered and the parts are in the car.
As soon as I get it back I'll give you more info, should be a couple of days. The motor didn't look like the ones that are shown in an older thread on this forum on how to replace the gear.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:30 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It's easy to identify the "early" ('84-'87) from the "late" ('88-'96) headlight motors. The "early" have the manual actuation ***** on the bottom of the motors, while the "late" have the manual actuation ***** on the top of the motors.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM
dms0309
Advanced

Default C4 headlight motor info

I managed to get the number off the motor it is 16510063LH
I looked at the motor from the link you sent and it is not that motor, I think mine looks like it has a single gear. Any info or help you can give me would be appreciated. I would like to repair that motor.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I managed to get the number off the motor it is 16510063LH
I looked at the motor from the link you sent and it is not that motor, I think mine looks like it has a single gear. Any info or help you can give me would be appreciated. I would like to repair that motor.
The number that you mention I'd expect on an '88+ motor. Yours has apparently had the later package adapted in some fashion. Your motor should have a black ****, "on top" and easily accessible.

Take a look at this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...ZWuhYz&vxp=mtr

It would be very important that the RH matches the left on your car.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-17-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM
dms0309
Advanced

Default C4 headlight motor info

The number that you mention I'd expect on an '88+ motor. Yours has apparently had the later package adapted in some fashion. Your motor should have a black ****, "on top" and easily accessible.

Take a look at this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...ZWuhYz&vxp=mtr

It would be very important that the RH matches the left on your car.
Yes, thats the motor that I have. Can anything be done with it? aside from replacing the motor.
it stutters when I open and close it.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Yes, thats the motor that I have. Can anything be done with it? aside from replacing the motor.
it stutters when I open and close it.
It appears that the Vendor you bought from offers only a package for the "newer" that generally is thought to be "overkill". You didn't mention the specific product you bought so maybe the best thing for you to do is "resell" what you bought for the earlier motors and buy the typical parts used for the later/newer motors.

Maybe contact Midwest Corvette @ Amazon and work with them for what's needed.

You should NOT need motors! I'll let you do your own research for '88+ headlamp motor repair. There's hundreds of threads and likely a few hundred videos as well.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM
86project
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight gears

Hello WVZR-1, was wondering if you have made the gear change in your vette, my right lite is lazy it goes up half way & down half way, I can push it all the way up & all the way down, it acts to me like the gears are stripped & not a bad motor, do u know if its common just to replace the gears & not the whole motor? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark 86 project. FYI the drivers side works fine.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 86project
Hello WVZR-1, was wondering if you have made the gear change in your vette, my right lite is lazy it goes up half way & down half way, I can push it all the way up & all the way down, it acts to me like the gears are stripped & not a bad motor, do u know if its common just to replace the gears & not the whole motor?
Mark, if you've read this whole thread, you should know there's two styles of headlight motors in the C4's. WVZR-1 is good, but he isn't psychic! Are the manual actuation ***** of your headlight motors on the bottom (as should be expected on an '86) or are they on the top? Previous posts here explain the difference! If you don't have "bottom ****" motors, the problem may be different!

If you do have the "bottom ****" motors, I'd say you probably have stripped gears which can be replaced, without replacing the whole motor. Here's a photo of the "bottom ****" motors in my '84:

Old 09-19-2017, 06:00 PM
86project
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Mark, if you've read this whole thread, you should know there's two styles of headlight motors in the C4's. WVZR-1 is good, but he isn't psychic! Are the manual actuation ***** of your headlight motors on the bottom (as should be expected on an '86) or are they on the top? Previous posts here explain the difference! If you don't have "bottom ****" motors, the problem may be different!

If you do have the "bottom ****" motors, I'd say you probably have stripped gears which can be replaced, without replacing the whole motor. Here's a photo of the "bottom ****" motors in my '84:

Thanks for your reply and the photo Roy, yes I do have the bottom ****, will more than likely order those gears. From the research I have done the bottom **** is on vette's, years 84 thru 87, WVZR-1 would know that so why would I have to think he was physic?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

WVZR-1 would know that so why would I have to think he was physic?
Hello WVZR-1, was wondering if you have made the gear change in your vette,
Did you read the entire story in that old thread that you added your problem to? How would he know whether you still have the original headlight motors in your car, since you were adding to the confusing story of those who posted before you, and there was confusion about the early (bottom ****) vs. the late (top ****) differences? Why do you care whether WVZR-1 has changed his gears?

You would have been better to start a new post, or better yet, there's already a ton of info on this subject in this forum. An "Advanced Search" in the C4 section might be informative. There's also posts with pictures on how to change the gears in the early C4 headlight motors. Search for Cliff Harris posts. At this time, there's also current posts on cleaning and lubricating the motors in your '86.

Get notified of new replies

To early c4 headlight motor

Quick Reply: early c4 headlight motor