C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C leak behind compressor clutch advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:54 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

here's another shot of the center section with both ends removed,,, very simple job

Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM
silentgt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so desertmike1 was correct, the seal is inside the front cover and the compressor does have to be opened to get to it. However, the seal that is currently inside is completely rubber. The new seal that seams to come with the rebuild kits is half rubber half metal though it appears to be the same size. Can someone confirm if they changed the seal design at some point and if this one will work?
Attached Images      
Old 09-29-2017, 05:09 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

You have a different "style" of seal for sure, but this should not stop you from using it, provided it fits the Bore OK.. did you buy a Seal Protector sleeve? this will protect the Seal from damage, when the Nose case is slid down over the Spline shaft during reassembly.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 PM
silentgt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
You have a different "style" of seal for sure, but this should not stop you from using it, provided it fits the Bore OK.. did you buy a Seal Protector sleeve? this will protect the Seal from damage, when the Nose case is slid down over the Spline shaft during reassembly.
Yes, I have the protector. I think the issue is I have the wrong seal. As depicted below, there were two types of seals on these compressors. I bought the top one, where as I actually need the bottom one. Gotta re-order.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2017, 05:57 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

it sure does, Bummer.. this kind of stuff drives me crazy

Quick Reply: A/C leak behind compressor clutch advice.