C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone Scanning '86, have questions.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Anyone Scanning '86, have questions.

My old laptop that had been running DIACOM+ for the last umpteen years finally gave up the ghost. I've since purchased the Craig Moates' APU1 and Mark Mansur's TunerPro RT software. Anybody using this combo? If not, what are you using to scan your 86's? Can you get 8192? I'm sure DIACOM+ did this, but with the APU1/TunerPro RT, I'm not sure if the data I'm seeing is 8192 or 160. It seems to only connect in 10K mode so my idle is 1000 and I don't think I'm getting all the data. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 03-09-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:48 PM
-js-
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like 160 mode. If you remove the 10k you lose data right ?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by -js-
That sounds like 160 mode. If you remove the 10k you lose data right ?
I read something about having to send something to the ECM to get it into 8192. I guess DIACOM did this as I would choose ALDL Mode in DIACOM, it would connect, I'd get all the data and the idle would be the normal 750. I'm trying to get my head around the TunerPro RT .ads files. The only one that produces anything meaningful is the 1227165_160.ads file, confirming 160 baud. I found a 1227165_87-88_8192.ads file that I tried with the APU1 switched to the middle position, this is ALDL A-B open, but still nojoy. I'm going to give Datamaster a try and see where that gets me. I was hoping to use TunerPro RT though as it allows data logging and emulation simultaneously.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:15 PM
-js-
Racer

You need the 10k in there and once it gets the message it will come out of that diagnostic mode and keep sending data. You know it worked when your RPMs drop back to normal. The 10k will then be ignored you can also remove it if you want.

I have scanned using both (Datamaster 32 and Tunerpro rt). I had Datamaster first well after Craigs ECM852 for DOS. So I tend to use it.

Last edited by -js-; 03-09-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You need the 10k in there and once it gets the message it will come out of that diagnostic mode and keep sending data. You know it worked when your RPMs drop back to normal. The 10k will then be ignored you can also remove it if you want.
Thanks again. So TunerPro should come out of diagnostic mode and keep sending data without my doing anything? The RPMs never did drop back to normal, stayed at 1000. What about the .ads file? I assume if I do get to the point where the idle comes down, my data will go nuts until I load a 8192 .ads file. Is there one for the '86 or will the '87-'88 one work?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:28 PM
-js-
Racer

If you got 8192 with the old software you should be able to still get it with the others. (meaning your ecm is supoorting the mode). Datamaster32 is the same for all L98s.
This is from their web page.
86-88 Y-Body 5.7L PFI (L98) 8192 baud
86-88 F-Body 5.0L PFI (LB9) 8192 baud
89 Y-Body 5.7L PFI (L98)
89 F-Body 5.0L PFI (LB9)

DM35x32 - Complete Installation

NOTE: 86-89 LB9 and L98 vehicles require 10K resistor modification in the interface.
This would indicate that you can use the Tunerpro rt 6E ads file. I looked at the Tunerpro software and it looks like you need to send the command to get the 8192 mode going.

My attempt to explain how to use it.
Go to ALDL Datalogging
Select the 6E ADS file
Have the car running
Select connect to ECM (10k needed see above)
Once connected send mode 1 ALDL dump request
You may need to send the request a few times before the ECM recives the command.

Oh and if you want to save to a file you need to set that part up too. Probably before you start the engine.
Good luck.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Morley
Drifting

His car isn't $6E (that is 1989) His "mask" is $32 for 1986.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:58 PM
-js-
Racer

The other ads file has no command for 8192. I think it will work as long as his ECM bin is supporting it. It did with DIACOM+ according to Ray.
You use the same Datamaster32 for 86-89 F and Y body vehicles.

If we try to edit bins yes this would be an issue.

Last edited by -js-; 03-09-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:36 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks guys. I'll git it a try and report my findings.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 03-10-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Nojoy with either Datamaster or TunerPro. With the 6E ads I was unable to connect with 10K in place. Until connected it won't alow you to send a command. As a sanity check I managed to get my old laptop running using another hard drive and external monitor with Diacom+. No problem connecting there. When I open the Diacom gdf file in Datamaster, it shows ALDL 8192. I'm not giving up yet. I understand there is a later version of Diacom+ running around that some have been able to get working with newer laptops. It's like 2.85 or 2.87. I'm using 2.83. Anybody got the later version they cam send me?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Morley
Drifting

I have 2.85 I can send you along with Craig Moates' ECM 851 which will connect at 8192 and offers more than Diacom+.
Drop me a PM with your E mail addy.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:21 AM
-js-
Racer

Morley
Datamaster and TunerPro RT works for others seems this may be something with your new setup.
What is different between the two ?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Morley
Datamaster and TunerPro RT works for others seems this may be something with your new setup.
What is different between the two ?
js, Thanks for helping out with this. I'm making some progress, but for everything I discover, I have 15 more questions. Morley was kind enough to send me one of Craig Moates' early ECM logging programs. Alas, it required a serial connection and both of my newer laptops are USB only. No biggie, I was able to get the latest version of Diacom+ from Rinda and although I can't get it to run on my fairly new Toshiba P4 2.4GHz, it is now running fine on my older Compaq P3 700MHz. That will do as the Compaq is still in excellant condition.

As an experiment, as I don't have a Serial Data/Protocol Analyzer handy, what I did was to run Diacom and link to the ECM, then switched cables and tried to connect with TunerPro with the APU1's vertical switch in the middle/open position (as the ECM was already in 8192 mode from Diacom's initial 10K connection) and it worked like a charm using the 6E ads. It showed all the data I need and indicated "TRUE" for "In 8192 ALDL Mode". I'd really like to figure out what Diacom does that TunerPro and the APU1 doesn't. This should work. I guess what should happen is when the "Connect to ECM" button is pressed, the software actually waits for the end of a 160 baud 25 byte packet and then sends the $80,$56,$01 string at 8192 baud within the 50 ms the ECM is waiting. I'm sure it sends this string when the "Mode 1 ALDL Dump Request" command is sent as you suggested. I need to find out if pressing the "Send Command" button sends this command out even if there is no connection to the ECM? Maybe I just need to vary the order of your instructions? Send the "Mode 1 ALDL Dump Request" before I try to connect. If the software will send the command whether or not connected, as long as the 10K is in, the ECM is sending 25 bytes at 160 baud then waiting 50 ms for Mode 1 command string over and over; hitting the "Send Command" button will send the command and if I get the timing right, the idle should come down, indicating Mode 1 and then the "Connect to ECM should work. I'll give this a try. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:56 PM
-js-
Racer

Sounds like you can recieve data but your not transmitting data to the ECM.
There is a preference tab under tools for the ALDL setup.

This is from Tunerpro website
I can't seem to connect to my ECM with the AutoProm.

If your AutoProm is in bypass mode and you're using TunerPro, make sure TunerPro is configured to use "Max232" as the adapter interface. If you're using a USB AutoProm in bypass mode with WinALDL, make sure WinALDL is configured to use 4800 baud. There are a few ECMs that cannot be connected to un non-bypass mode. Please contact Craig or Mark for more information if you continue having difficulties connecting.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Mangus
Intermediate

double post. oops.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Mangus
Intermediate

Hi Ray -

I know we're bouncing around all over the Web trying to get you going. :-)

Here's the basic procedure that should work with your vehicle for simultaneous emulation and datalogging (although I'm still confused about why a $32 mask is working at 8192. No matter...)

1) Open up 1227165_6E.ads
2) Make sure your AutoProm is in AutoProm mode (horizontal switch toward the USB port)
3) Place the vertical switch in the UP position (this engages the 10k resistor)
4) Ensure TunerPro is configured to use the COM port that the AutoProm driver was installed to (commonly COM4 or COM5), and make sure the ALDL interface type is set to "AutoProm"
5) Turn your key on (engine on or engine off, doesn't matter)
6) Hit the "Connect" button (either in the ALDL setup window or on the toolbar) until it connects. In AutoProm mode, remember that this might take a number of attempts.
7) Once connected (fingers crossed!) you can return the vertical switch to the middle position. To avoid having to do this you might consider removing the ALDL spark adder. I'm not sure where that lives in $32, but in $6E it's at address 0x23.

All of that said, I've got an '89 6E car that is a hybrid ECM (160/8192) like you describe, so I know that this works. I truly believe that the need to hit the connect button a few times is where we're breaking down here.

As an aside...

Version 5 of TunerPro (a few months down the road yet) will make connection MUCH easier, especially for you more complicated BCC guys. I'm completely re-writing the ALDL engine to work nicely with "chatty" BCCs (i.e. 90/91 vettes with digital dash, $58, $EE). I'm personally looking forward to it. I know I've had to turn away a lot of 90/91 Vette owners because of the chatter packets. =(

Hope this helps,

Mark

Last edited by Mangus; 03-13-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Mark,
Sorry I've got you chasing me all over the Web. My intention was to get maximum input through greater exposure, not to cause you more work posting in two different fora and email as well.

I think I have a handle on the procedure, but I'm still having issues.

4) Ensure TunerPro is configured to use the COM port that the AutoProm driver was installed to (commonly COM4 or COM5), and make sure the ALDL interface type is set to "AutoProm"
When "AutoProm" is selected as the Interface Type, the com port is grayed out. I suspect in AutoProm mode TunerPro will autodetect the APU1. At any rate I went ahead and selected "MAX232/2-Trans/AP" so I could choose COM4 and then went back to "AutoProm". I've not had any issues communicating with the APU1 though.

6) Hit the "Connect" button (either in the ALDL setup window or on the toolbar) until it connects. In AutoProm mode, remember that this might take a number of attempts.
I tried this today and gave up after 642 attempts failed. Figured this qualified as "a number of attempts".

7) Once connected (fingers crossed!) you can return the vertical switch to the middle position. To avoid having to do this you might consider removing the ALDL spark adder. I'm not sure where that lives in $32, but in $6E it's at address 0x23.
As someone had said on another forum, once the ECM is in Mode 1, it ignores the 10K, so there is no need to switch the APU1 to the middle (open) position. I verified this today by again getting the ECM into Mode 1 with Diacom, then connecting the APU1 switched to up (10K) and in toward USB (software). The idle stayed at 750 and TunerPro again connected fine first time using the 6E ads.

You guys may be leading a horse to water here. I may just be too stupid to make this work. My plan was to take things a step at a time. I connected the APU1 to my laptop, ran TunerPro and read a couple of PROMS. My original '86 Manual Trans AMJ0499 and a HyperTech replacement. I then burned these bins onto a couple of 27SF512s. Once satisfied the PROM reader/burner worked, I moved on to data logging. This, I figured would be a snap as I'd been using Diacom+ for many years. Boy, was I wrong!

You all have been very kind, but I don't want to waste any more of your time. I can data log now with the new version of Diacom+ and I can burn with TurnerPro/APU1. Hopefully I'll be able to Emulate with it too. I'll give this a try tomorrow. If that works, I'll be set. Not as elegant as simultaneous logging/emulating that I was hoping for, but I do run Diacom+ successfully in a DOS window, maybe I can emulate with TunerPro/APU1 at the same time? If emulation works tomorrow, I'll give that a try.

Thanks again for all the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Scanning '86, have questions.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:18 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not into burning chips-but I would like a scanner so I could see
that all functions (sensors etc.) are working properly. Is there something simple out there? and if I pickep up a used laptop what would be the minimun. I hate chasing things when there are no codes being thrown.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by rick lambert
Is there something simple out there? and if I pickep up a used laptop what would be the minimun. I hate chasing things when there are no codes being thrown.
Rick, You may be better off just getting a handheld like AutoXray since it sounds like you don't already have a laptop.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 03-14-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Emulation works fine. I can even emulate while running Diacom+ in a DOS window with my Compaq P3 700MHz! Sure I'd like to know why this won't connect through the APU1 using TunerPro, but I can do what I need now. Maybe tomorrow I'll burn a $6E to see how that connects, just for grins.

One more question. If I wanted to do some connection experimenting with an ECM on the bench, what connections to I have to have to the ECM for a connect? I just want data, I don't care what the data is or how many trouble codes are set.
1 Power - 12vdc to Pins A6,B1,C16
2 Ground - Pins D3,D1,D10,A12
3 Serial Data - Pin A8
4 10K Ohm resistor - Pin A9
With this should I be able to get the ECM talking or will I get no data due to the trouble codes causing the ECM to enter Limp Home?

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 03-14-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Scanning '86, have questions.