C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opinions/real world experience wanted: LS swap or L98 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Yes, anything is possible in the grand scheme of things. Your Snap On or Craftsman tool could break before a cheap Chinese POS. Mercedes has made their own share of lemons. OTOH, a Yugo is probably more likely to have a lemon than an MB. The odds are not even which is why it is cheaper. I can get a virgin 5.3 from GM or a junkyard. One is more likely to give problems than the other which is why the other is cheaper. I live by the idea that nothing good is cheap because it doesn't have to be and nothing cheap is good. Sometimes, something comes along and breaks the rules but those are fewer and far between.

No, the definition of "hotrodding" is: modify (a vehicle or other device) to make it faster or more powerful. You will have to pay for it either in sacrificing reliability or "elbow grease" or some other fashion. As they often say "Fast, Cheap or reliable. Pick any two.".

Notice how I said "nature" of hotrodding and not "definition."
Old 09-16-2017, 10:11 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Notice how I said "nature" of hotrodding and not "definition."

to get back to the OP's original topic-an LS wouldn't take much at all to hit 400hp. The gen I sbcs have been done a million times over. with all of this in mind if you aren't planning on doing the work yourself I wouldn't even consider trying an Ls swap and probably not even building your own Gen I. a lot comes down to personal preference. if you've got deep pockets might as well just buy a new Vette. especially since C4s are widely considered the ugliest Vettes. 😁
Old 09-20-2017, 10:00 AM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by armybyrd
to get back to the OP's original topic-an LS wouldn't take much at all to hit 400hp. The gen I sbcs have been done a million times over. with all of this in mind if you aren't planning on doing the work yourself I wouldn't even consider trying an Ls swap and probably not even building your own Gen I. a lot comes down to personal preference. if you've got deep pockets might as well just buy a new Vette. especially since C4s are widely considered the ugliest Vettes. 😁
Unfortunately the issue comes down to time, not necessarily money and skill. My weeks sometimes can carry 100 hours depending on volume and I got the car so damn cheap, putting money in the car to bring it up to where I want would put me around the price of a highly clean C4. Call me a die-hard, but C4s just just do it for me in terms of styling. They just need a little massaging and subtle updating. It's the same thing when you see a really well done IROC-z or a well done fox body mustang. They just need a little TLC outside of their bone stock form. But I totally understand what you mean man
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Of time is the issue, stick a 383 and get it tuned. Problem solved
Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM
JasBass
Racer

I had a good weekend to think and drink on it, and I think I want to keep the car together with its original block. It needs to come out anyway and get cleaned up/re-painted. It had just been bored, decked and fluxed 5k miles ago by a shop for the PO. So assuming it was done right and in good condition, doing a nice build off of that really makes the most sense. I can retain all the current pulley drive system without any fab headaches and end up with a nice, reliable SBC build.

Anyone running a FAST Ez-EFI setup on their cars? Just curious how that integrates with the other electronics/ECM? Also, anyone made the switch to the FAST distributor and separate ignition box? If I went with the Ez-EFI setup, I would go ahead and change the distributor so it can have spark advance/retard control.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JasBass
I had a good weekend to think and drink on it, and I think I want to keep the car together with its original block. It needs to come out anyway and get cleaned up/re-painted. It had just been bored, decked and fluxed 5k miles ago by a shop for the PO. So assuming it was done right and in good condition, doing a nice build off of that really makes the most sense. I can retain all the current pulley drive system without any fab headaches and end up with a nice, reliable SBC build.

Anyone running a FAST Ez-EFI setup on their cars? Just curious how that integrates with the other electronics/ECM? Also, anyone made the switch to the FAST distributor and separate ignition box? If I went with the Ez-EFI setup, I would go ahead and change the distributor so it can have spark advance/retard control.
Why would you need to change the advance? I'd like to see someone show me how much more I could get out of the motor to justify the setup. I have set mine and forgot it. If you are making radical changes every month, sure. Otherwise, it is tuned once and probably left that way for years. Ability to change things is nice. Ability to use that change is more significant than just having it. IMO
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM
JasBass
Racer

Why would you need to change the advance? I'd like to see someone show me how much more I could get out of the motor to justify the setup. I have set mine and forgot it. If you are making radical changes every month, sure. Otherwise, it is tuned once and probably left that way for years. Ability to change things is nice. Ability to use that change is more significant than just having it. IMO
Fair point, true and well taken. Just asking because I don't know, but how much spark control do you get out of the original ECM/knock sensor? I know with LS setups, you can get some wide control
Old 09-20-2017, 12:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Fair point, true and well taken. Just asking because I don't know, but how much spark control do you get out of the original ECM/knock sensor? I know with LS setups, you can get some wide control
From what I see, the KS is there to retard the spark when you are getting knocking and that is a safety feature because you will know about the knock and it's effects AFTER damage is done usually.

I know a lot of people desensitize the knock sensor to get as much advance as they can. Kinda like advancing the timing all over. You might have all of that set up properly via the ECM programming done on a dyno so I am not sure why you would want to increase the risk by meddling with the control if you don't have to. Again, if you are racing and don't care about the motor as long as you win the race, cash the sponsor's checks and buy a new motor, fair enough.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm running the fast ez efi in my car. Fast sells a sbc system and a distributor that works with their system. I would also set-up a crank sensor. You may have to upgrade the injectors as I'm not sure if the fast efi will connector to the older SBC injectors.

The edelbrock xl pro intake manifold works well, that way you could run the newer throttle body, injectors.

Do a compression test on the current engine? If its in good shape and has good compression, I would install another camshaft (something with a more modern grind), 210cc aluminum heads, roller rockers.

To bad you don't have time to work on your own car right now. I had a blast building my car last winter. I can't wait to get back at my upgrades.

Post pics of what you got. Thanks for sharing. The C4 is such an awesome starter platform for fun driver.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:44 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Unfortunately the issue comes down to time, not necessarily money and skill. My weeks sometimes can carry 100 hours depending on volume and I got the car so damn cheap, putting money in the car to bring it up to where I want would put me around the price of a highly clean C4. Call me a die-hard, but C4s just just do it for me in terms of styling. They just need a little massaging and subtle updating. It's the same thing when you see a really well done IROC-z or a well done fox body mustang. They just need a little TLC outside of their bone stock form. But I totally understand what you mean man

I hear ya on that man. I can't believe a lot of ppl think C4s are ugly.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thats good, then we can still get em for cheap
Dont think they are ugly just not striking..what kills the look imo are some of the wheels that was the star wars era.

never went gaga over them but they do look good clean with a stance, whats great is what they offer for the $. Good handling, not heavy, ac power accessories. 350s are cheap as hell to build. You could buy an 850 shortblock fill it with whitebox cams etc and still make reasonable power.

The Lsx only needs a little headwork and a small cam to hit 400;if you can DIY its cheap. Paying someone forget it
Aftermarket parts for Gen 1 are super cheap in comparison;price an MSD intake manifold then $500 to port it.

Last edited by cv67; 09-20-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Aklim I hear ya but just wanted to point out why is nice to be able to adjust the tuning from inside the car, when ever. What happens if you get a bad tank of gas or accidentally fill the car up with 87 octane (ok with a stock L98 engine). I can adjust the timing driving the car, drop the base timing, add vacuum timing for cruising. Change air to fuel ratio depending on % of load, can be used to increase fuel mileage. Sometimes that special tune if off at certain loads or temperature or fuel quality. Sure nice to have the ability to adjust on the fly.

I'm all ways changing how my car sounds at idle. I can make it have the old school chopping idle or a new car smooth idle just by adjusting base timing or even lower/increase the idle speed.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 09-20-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:38 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Thats good, then we can still get em for cheap
Dont think they are ugly just not striking..what kills the look imo are some of the wheels that was the star wars era.

never went gaga over them but they do look good clean with a stance, whats great is what they offer for the $. Good handling, not heavy, ac power accessories. 350s are cheap as hell to build. You could buy an 850 shortblock fill it with whitebox cams etc and still make reasonable power.

The Lsx only needs a little headwork and a small cam to hit 400;if you can DIY its cheap. Paying someone forget it
Aftermarket parts for Gen 1 are super cheap in comparison;price an MSD intake manifold then $500 to port it.

this.
wheels make a huge different appearance wise.
around my way ppl are giving these away for around $3k for a clean early model.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Aklim I hear ya but just wanted to point out why is nice to be able to adjust the tuning from inside the car, when ever. What happens if you get a bad tank of gas or accidentally fill the car up with 87 octane (ok with a stock L98 engine). I can adjust the timing driving the car, drop the base timing, add vacuum timing for cruising. Change air to fuel ratio depending on % of load, can be used to increase fuel mileage. Sometimes that special tune if off at certain loads or temperature or fuel quality. Sure nice to have the ability to adjust on the fly.

I'm all ways changing how my car sounds at idle. I can make it have the old school chopping idle or a new car smooth idle just by adjusting base timing or even lower/increase the idle speed.
Bad gas will be compensated for by the KS. So if you really want to do that and find that this is a useful feature, by all means.

Not sure if timing alone can do that but I haven't tried it yet
Old 09-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

EZ EFI systems do not incorporate knock sensors. I have the 2.0

If you want more info on it, PM me, i'll shoot you my phone # and run through a lot of things that I had to learn when putting mine in.

As far as integration with the Dash, you'll have to run a separate VSS wire since the VSS wiring is integrated in the original ECM harness. Fuel pump wiring, speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure are all connected below the passenger side hush panel, just below where the factory ECM mounts. That's how I did mine
The following users liked this post:
JasBass (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 PM
JasBass
Racer

To bad you don't have time to work on your own car right now. I had a blast building my car last winter. I can't wait to get back at my upgrades. Post pics of what you got. Thanks for sharing. The C4 is such an awesome starter platform for fun driver.
Pics will definitely come in the near future. Don't get me wrong, i've been doing a ton of work myself. I'm just going to reserve some of the more technical pieces to a pro and learn from them along the way. I plan on doing everything else besides engine and body. Not going to lie, i've stripped the dash down as much as I can, but removing it and the HVAC to replace the dash mat is going to the shop...

[QUOTE=cuisinartvette;1595606794] Don't think they are ugly just not striking..what kills the look imo are some of the wheels that was the star wars era.

Preach man! I've got the stock 89 wheels on there now, once I get the rest of the car set up, i'll be looking to maximize the wheel/tire combo. Just going to fit as much rubber under there as I can without it screwing up the look and sticking out of the body

Pure toy bliss man. This is exactly why electric cars will never take over the world.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Pure toy bliss man. This is exactly why electric cars will never take over the world.
And exactly why many cars have exhaust noise simulated and why they made rpm variables exhaust noise. The user is a poser and needs it to remind himself he has a muscle car.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions/real world experience wanted: LS swap or L98 build

Old 09-22-2017, 05:19 PM
JasBass
Racer

And exactly why many cars have exhaust noise simulated and why they made rpm variables exhaust noise. The user is a poser and needs it to remind himself he has a muscle car.
To each his own, my friend. Sound is visceral for me and it's part of the experience of driving the car. Conversely, the other end of the spectrum is a conservative prude who yells at kids on his lawn and eats dinner at 4:30pm to save a few bucks. We all fall at some point on the spectrum.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

To each his own, my friend. Sound is visceral for me and it's part of the experience of driving the car.

Conversely, the other end of the spectrum is a conservative prude who yells at kids on his lawn

and eats dinner at 4:30pm to save a few bucks. We all fall at some point on the spectrum.
Actually, it isn't your own. It's part of the Pavlovian Conditioning thing. It has been conditioned and reinforced into people's minds that the louder the sound, the more power it makes. Secondary factor is the guy's buddies giving him "high fives" and "attaboys" when they (with no real knowledge) hear loud noises. It's about as "own" as a dog drooling when it hears the bell because it was conditioned that the bell ringing means food.

Don't know. I don't want kids on my lawn either but dogs are welcome.

If I sleep early, I'd eat at 1630 to save a few bucks at a restaurant. OTOH, I eat later because I sleep much later so I don't want to feel hungry at 2200 and have less choices of what to eat. Trade off is I don't feel hungry late at night for a few bucks of savings.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:06 PM
JasBass
Racer

[QUOTE=aklim;1595621517]It's part of the Pavlovian Conditioning thing.

As a doc, i'll spare the Corvette forum a debate about the historical foundations of Psychology with Pavlov and his dogs and how that translates to the human love of cars. Let's stick to physical cars shall we?

Quick Reply: Opinions/real world experience wanted: LS swap or L98 build